Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How much accuracy do I want?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
How much accuracy do I want?

Kitru
11.05.2012 , 05:18 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by BlznSmri View Post
"Special" attacks (ones that cost resources + zealot strike & guardian strike) have base 100% Accuracy (Force/ Tech accuracy).
It's important to remember that entities have different Defense (applied to melee/range) and Resistance (applied to Force/Tech) chances. Pretty much universally, everything in the game has lower Resistance chances (almost always 0%) compared to Defense Chances. Even if you only ever used Special M/R attacks, you'd still miss thanks to that Defense Chance as opposed to F/T attacks that will pretty much never miss (except against exceptionally higher level enemies).
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

BlznSmri
11.05.2012 , 06:04 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
It's important to remember that entities have different Defense (applied to melee/range) and Resistance (applied to Force/Tech) chances. Pretty much universally, everything in the game has lower Resistance chances (almost always 0%) compared to Defense Chances. Even if you only ever used Special M/R attacks, you'd still miss thanks to that Defense Chance as opposed to F/T attacks that will pretty much never miss (except against exceptionally higher level enemies).
Right, I forgot to extrapolate.
APOSTATES
Website | Recruitment | About Us
Jokerseven - Shadow | Ce'lia - Sentinel
Sentinel PvE Basics/ Marauder PvE Basics

FillionFan
11.05.2012 , 06:22 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by haksilence View Post
you want 0 (zero) accuracy as a tank. for every point you have in accuracy your missing out on a point that could be placed in mitigation.
Normally, maybe. Most of Juggs' damage comes from abilities with 90% accuracy (rage builder) and we have crap for threat right now to begin with so if you miss with these your threat will suck. Please go back to your Sin/PT and speak only for your tank class.

FillionFan
11.05.2012 , 06:32 PM | #24
...a Guardian could see some appreciable use out of it (Missing accounts for ~4-5% of total DPS loss so bridging that gap can account for more; even so, I would still opt for Strength rather than Accuracy for a Guardian since Strength is both a mitigation stat, thanks to Blade Barrier, and a threat gen stat).
Generally true, but I decided to test Sonic/Blade Barrier a week or so ago and took off half my gear entirely and it took the absorption down from ~950 to ~850 and most of this would have been the set bonus loss so the amount gained by strength is still negligible if any. The amount absorbed still seems at least relatively static, and I would like to see some actual proof of the supposed formula that uses force healing (or for that matter an log in which a single barrier absorbed more than ~1000).

Kitru
11.05.2012 , 07:20 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by FillionFan View Post
Most of Juggs' damage comes from abilities with 90% accuracy (rage builder)
First off, the only attack that Jugg/Guards use that has the 90% baseline chance to hit is Strike. Sundering Strike isn't considered a basic attack and, as such, benefits from the 100% base accuracy of Special M/R attacks.

Secondly, you get the Focus whether you hit with the Focus generator or not. Missing only affects your damage, not your resource generation.
My New Class Idea

grallmate
11.05.2012 , 07:26 PM | #26
Actually, this is a bit wrong. Special melee attacks (re: everything but your basic attack) have a 100% chance to hit. The reason that you don't always hit is because operations bosses have a certain amount of defense (6-8%, iirc) that needs to be counteracted.
Not true. If you read the linked post above (Tam's one on Accuracy being harmful for tanks). Special Melee attacks have a base 95% accuracy (his examples being Double Strike and Spinning Strike). Presumably to offset the base 5% Defence chance.

For a Guardian that list is a lot longer: Overhead Slash, Sundering Strike, Master Strike, Leap, Throw, Dispatch and Riposte. Yes, I have seen every single one of those "Miss" (or "Dodge") on an Ops boss. For reference I have 3% Accuracy from my tree and 1% from Legacy. Giving me a base Melee Accuracy of 94%. I have none on my gear.

Agreeing with Kitru, I'd probably add in Strength before I added any accuracy (swapping Guardian armourings for Might ones), but I'd add accuracy before adding Power, Crit or Surge. That said: I personally don't have an issue with threat so its a trivial argument.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

Kitru
11.05.2012 , 07:34 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
Not true. If you read the linked post above (Tam's one on Accuracy being harmful for tanks). Special Melee attacks have a base 95% accuracy (his examples being Double Strike and Spinning Strike). Presumably to offset the base 5% Defence chance.
That was my point. It's 100% base chance to hit before factoring in enemy Defense chance. You only need enough accuracy to offset the target's defense in order to hit with every special attack you make. Anything beyond the 5-8% (I've heard/read numbers that vary) needed to offset that Defense chance only serves to reduce the chance of missing with your basic attack (which is almost completely negligible improvement in DPS, no matter the class).
My New Class Idea

grallmate
11.05.2012 , 07:45 PM | #28
That was my point. It's 100% base chance to hit before factoring in enemy Defense chance. You only need enough accuracy to offset the target's defense in order to hit with every special attack you make. Anything beyond the 5-8% (I've heard/read numbers that vary) needed to offset that Defense chance only serves to reduce the chance of missing with your basic attack (which is almost completely negligible improvement in DPS, no matter the class).
If that were true I would never miss with my Master Strike, Dispatch, Throw, Leap or Overhead Slash. I have seen all of those miss on multiple occasions.

Here is my parse of last nights TFB HM run. http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlo...ayer/1#d=0,b=1

Please note the misses on the above abilities.

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar

Kitru
11.06.2012 , 06:26 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
If that were true I would never miss with my Master Strike, Dispatch, Throw, Leap or Overhead Slash. I have seen all of those miss on multiple occasions.
You've got 4% accuracy from external sources (Legacy and spec). You had a ~14% miss chance with your basic attack and a 4% miss chance with your special attacks. Ergo, the boss has an 8% defense chance (104% accuracy reduced to 96% accuracy and 94% accuracy reduced to 86% accuracy), which is within the realm of what I've generally heard. Your parse is completely in line with what I was saying. Honestly, I find it likely that different bosses have different defense amounts, which is one of the reasons why it hasn't really been pinned down.
My New Class Idea

grallmate
11.06.2012 , 03:53 PM | #30
You've got 4% accuracy from external sources (Legacy and spec). You had a ~14% miss chance with your basic attack and a 4% miss chance with your special attacks. Ergo, the boss has an 8% defense chance (104% accuracy reduced to 96% accuracy and 94% accuracy reduced to 86% accuracy), which is within the realm of what I've generally heard. Your parse is completely in line with what I was saying. Honestly, I find it likely that different bosses have different defense amounts, which is one of the reasons why it hasn't really been pinned down.
If that were the case then why does Master Strike/Dispatch miss some of the time but Blade Storm never miss? I would chalk it up to yellow damage being Force/Tech and using Force/Tech accuracy while White damage is Melee/Ranged and uses that accuracy.

You chalk the difference up to Defence chance and most people claim that Force/Tech never misses. Now given that Force/Tech has a base 100% accuracy and special attacks have a 5% bonus to accuracy, I can see where that (IMO incorrect) assumption would come from.

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar