Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Arsenal/Bodyguard Hybrids in 1.4/1.5

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Bounty Hunter > Mercenary
Arsenal/Bodyguard Hybrids in 1.4/1.5

Arealbigduck
11.05.2012 , 04:57 AM | #1
Hi,

I've recently started a Mercenary alt which I was originially going to make Arsenal specced. I found some old guides from the Beta and pre1.2 which talked about hybrids between arsenal and bodyguard, I wonder if there are any updated guides, I couldn't find any?

What's the general consensus on Hybrids? I was thinking of a focus on Arsenal that allows some healing, but I'd also be open to more of a focus on Bodyguard that can also deal some damage.

Thanks

Gyronamics
11.05.2012 , 07:22 AM | #2
The reason there's no new guides is because that hybrid is worthless now.

There are no viable hybrids for mercs.

TyrellJonez
11.05.2012 , 09:54 AM | #3
Yeah i recently tried Bodguard/Pyro hybrid. You kinda need your instant heal to survive the big hits maruaders/juggs will smash you with and incindiary missle can be ignored without the damage buffs from the pyro tree.

Hybrid just isn't possible. Tracer missle and Incindiary require too many other talents so they are viable in their own trees to make a decent hybrid.
If they don't wanna see the hood in me, be satisfied when you see the good in me

Arealbigduck
11.05.2012 , 12:13 PM | #4
That's a shame, what about if I was only to do PVE? An arsenal/bodyguard with the focus on arsenal but able to help out with healing (even only self healing) when the going got tough?

Gyronamics
11.05.2012 , 02:53 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Arealbigduck View Post
That's a shame, what about if I was only to do PVE? An arsenal/bodyguard with the focus on arsenal but able to help out with healing (even only self healing) when the going got tough?
Nope.

You have dedicated healers for a reason.

If you "have" to help out with healing which is rare but it happens you use your basic two heals.

It's just poor PVE play if you are gimping your dps talents and hoping the healers fail so you can justify speccing into healing talents.

JimmyTheCannon
11.07.2012 , 02:39 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Gyronamics View Post
Nope.

You have dedicated healers for a reason.

If you "have" to help out with healing which is rare but it happens you use your basic two heals.

It's just poor PVE play if you are gimping your dps talents and hoping the healers fail so you can justify speccing into healing talents.
^ what he said. Healers should pretty much never be DPSing in raids (except on trash, and simple things like a Sorc healer maybe throwing Affliction on a boss). They need to devote their resources to healing. By the same token, a DPS player should *never* be throwing heals unless it's a serious emergency and they need to heal themselves while the healers focus on the tanks.

DarthBloodloss
11.16.2012 , 02:10 PM | #7
The closest thing to what you are looking for is a Pyro with 9 points in Bodyguard.

Take Pyro to the top level, only using 31 points. In the bodyguard tree take the talents from the bottom 2 tiers that decrease heal casting time, and increase heal percentage.

This is actually a viable spec for unrated warzones. You can still dish out 90% as much damage as a full DPS Pyro build. The only difference is that you lack a couple Power Shot talents so you won't be using it as much, if at all. (Normally you would take talents to decrease Power Shot channel time as well as pushback, but you took these for heals instead.)

The healing you have will be great as off-heals. You will even be able to heal through damage against only 1 moderately geared player. Any more than 1 person on you and the heals are useless.

But the true healing value is when you are left alone. Your Rapid Scan will heal for just as much as a Full Bodyguard's heal, and will channel just as fast. So you can play as a DPS, but sometimes you can step back and be a very strong healer.
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Coolrockski
11.19.2012 , 09:39 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
The closest thing to what you are looking for is a Pyro with 9 points in Bodyguard.

Take Pyro to the top level, only using 31 points. In the bodyguard tree take the talents from the bottom 2 tiers that decrease heal casting time, and increase heal percentage.

This is actually a viable spec for unrated warzones. You can still dish out 90% as much damage as a full DPS Pyro build. The only difference is that you lack a couple Power Shot talents so you won't be using it as much, if at all. (Normally you would take talents to decrease Power Shot channel time as well as pushback, but you took these for heals instead.)

The healing you have will be great as off-heals. You will even be able to heal through damage against only 1 moderately geared player. Any more than 1 person on you and the heals are useless.

But the true healing value is when you are left alone. Your Rapid Scan will heal for just as much as a Full Bodyguard's heal, and will channel just as fast. So you can play as a DPS, but sometimes you can step back and be a very strong healer.
Can you post your build? I am new to merc and this sounds interesting. I have only done a few flashpoints and have found the need to self heal a few times.

DarthBloodloss
11.19.2012 , 07:51 PM | #9
Here is an example build of what I described:
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300bcMZ0MZcGMrzGGMs.2

Strengths:
-Full Pyro tree abilities including top ability Thermal Detonator
-Viable off-heals (reduced Pushback so you will be able to heal somewhat while taking fire)

Weakness:
-Sacrifices 3% Aim increase due to loss of skill boxes
-Sacrifices Power Shot abilities (Power Shot is only used in extended fights when you are not being focused)

This build has the skill box that reduces pushback for heals. This is important when trying to heal or offheal in a flashpoint. And also there are a few skills that are swappable based on personal preference, such as having a better Vent Heat, or more Crit Chance from the 1st tier of bodyguard skills. (Also, this build is tailored for PvP and so there may be a couple boxes in the Pyro tree that can be swapped around as well. Such as Energy Rebounder and Degauss)

-----

Here is a similar build, the one I use for PvP. It doesn't have the reduced pushback for heals, but it does have the reduced casting time for heals. The difference in this build and the one above is that this one will put out slightly more DPS because you can use Power Shots more (because you take those skills instead of more bodyguard skills.)

The disadvantage of this build is that if someone is attacking you while you try to heal, you get bad Pushback which slows down your heals and can make them un-useable. (But when left alone, you heal like a champ.)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#300dZMckZcGMrzGGMs.2

---

Like I said before, both of these builds have several skill boxes that can be swapped around. This build is not as picky as other classes such as Assassin who have very specific Tank/DPS hybrid builds. These builds should be altered based on your play style. Definitely remove Degauss and probably Energy Rebounder if you dont PvP.

I queue every day as a Healer role in the group finder, in the 2nd listed full Pyro build with only a decreased healing time for my heals. Most groups never even figure out that I'm not a healer. However I wouldn't recommend this until your gear is very solid. I have full Black Hole, but the success depends on the group. Bad group, bad results. Good group, and no one even knows I have been throwing thermal detonators the whole FP.....
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Rassuro
11.20.2012 , 05:49 AM | #10
^ I think you linked to the wrong specs, the first one is 2/8/31, and the second is 3/7/31.
Toor, 50 Operative healer | Odaen, 50 Assassin tank | Tiyr, 50 Vanguard tank | Zerofour, 50 Mercenary DPS | The Red Eclipse