Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dear Customer Service (A Letter to the Editor sort of speak)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Dear Customer Service (A Letter to the Editor sort of speak)

_Viserys_
11.05.2012 , 08:19 AM | #1
Let me start by saying this. I've worked in sales and customer service for years. I have a very successful business in which the number one thing my customers tell me is the reason they do business with me is for the customer service.

As such, it pains me to see the awful (and I can't stress awful enough) customer service BioWare/EA has. You seem to not really understand some few basic principles of customer service. So, I decided I would help line them out for you:

1) NEVER blame the customer.

-Even if it really is the customer's fault or even if the you've been trying to help them for an hour and a half on the phone, and nothing seems to help. It still is NOT the customer's fault. So responses, like "It must be on your end." are never acceptable. The reason is because the customer is never going to feel it's on their end. So even if it is, you need to still be helpful and not blow them off.
Try phrases like, "I'm sorry this is happening, sir/ma'am, but let's work together to find a solution." or "You know, at this point, it's been an hour and a half, and I can't think of anything else to try. I'm sorry we can't fix this right now. But, let me get off of here, and I'll do some research into the problem a little deeper and get back with you." (then of course, you still need to follow up)
Even if you can't fix the issue, you at least let the customer know you're on their side.

2) FIX the customer.

-That means you need to focus on making the customer happy, not necessarily the issue at hand. If there's an easy road to making a customer happy, TAKE IT! For instance, let's say someone crashes after finishing a mission, and now their quest is broken. They can't receive their mission rewards. Now, you might think that the issue is the crash and focus on trying to get all their computer specs and data, etc. But for the customer, what they really want are just the rewards for the mission and to move on. So, take the easy road!
Say something like, "I'm sorry for the inconvenience, and we're working on providing better, more stable performance. In the meantime though, let me grant you the rewards you lost."
Customer is happy, and you can go about your day. Now of course, if the customer wants you to take their data to look into the crash, by all means, please do. But most won't care, and you saved everyone a lot of time.

3) UNDERSTAND you're speaking to a HUMAN and LISTEN

-Know that people are emotional, and take their hobbies very seriously. Why? Because work sucks, so SWTOR is their time to enjoy life. (or at least it's supposed to be) So be patient and never get frustrated with a customer. Even if the customer is being rude or irrational, you need to be calm and let them vent. Just listen, and listen closely for the real issue. It may not even be what they claim to be mad about. NEVER interrupt someone either. Even if you know the solution to their problem, NEVER interrupt them. Wait, until their finished, then paraphrase what they said back to them. That lets the customer know that you are listening and are trying to understand so you can solve the problem.

-FURTHERMORE, as an aside on this note, PLEASE STOP USING "CYBORGS" as your CSP's in-game. I know it's cutesy, but that's the worst thing you can do in customer service. People never want to feel like they are talking to a machine.

4) Finally, (though I'm cutting this short) NEVER LIE to the customer and ALWAYS KEEP YOUR PROMISES

-Under no circumstances should you ever suggest something to a customer that isn't true. If you don't know the answer, then say, "You know, I don't know the answer to that, but I'll do some research and get back to you. I want to get this figured out for you." (and then of course, keep that promise and follow up) Customers can tell when you're lying, and they'll respect you for saying you don't know actually. It'll be refreshing for them to hear. But though you don't know, they still have confidence in the fact that you take this seriously and are researching it to find the answer.
-And if you make a promise to the customer (however small it may be), ALWAYS keep it. If you don't, you will lose customers quickly because they will lose ALL, not some, confidence in you. Customers are fickle and there are lots of competitors in whatever business you may be in so don't give them a reason to look elsewhere.

Agibah
11.05.2012 , 09:26 AM | #2
So EA has a customer service?

Legolose
11.05.2012 , 09:31 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Agibah View Post
So EA has a customer service?
^^^D'oh !!!!
Vos'feratu | 55 | Sorcerer Vittoneli | 55 | Gunslinger
Vos'barake | 55| Guardian Vos'mauul | 55 | Sentinel
Server | The Shadowlands |