Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How much accuracy do I want?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Tanking
How much accuracy do I want?

grallmate
11.04.2012 , 07:21 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by haksilence View Post
you want 0 (zero) accuracy as a tank. for every point you have in accuracy your missing out on a point that could be placed in mitigation.
Generally yes. Mitigation > Accuracy for a tank.

However, Accuracy is a good quick way to up your DPS (and TPS) by a noticeable margin (~11%) if you are having trouble keeping aggro. Alternatively you could learn to taunt effectively.
The Kae-Sare Legacy - The Harbinger
<Vindication> <Retribution>

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar
Gralleh's Guide to Guardian Tanking [UPDATED for 2.0]

Eternalnight
11.05.2012 , 12:28 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by grallmate View Post
However, Accuracy is a good quick way to up your DPS (and TPS) by a noticeable margin (~11%) if you are having trouble keeping aggro.
No it isn't.

grallmate
11.05.2012 , 12:42 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Eternalnight View Post
No it isn't.
I'd love to hear why that is. Perhaps you could enlighten us rather than just making an unfounded statement.

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar

BlznSmri
11.05.2012 , 12:42 AM | #14
Generally yes. Mitigation > Accuracy for a tank.

However, Accuracy is a good quick way to up your DPS (and TPS) by a noticeable margin (~11%) if you are having trouble keeping aggro. Alternatively you could learn to taunt effectively.
Performing a proper priority queue, guarding the dps that's generating the most aggro and having dps cycle their threat drops is a good, quick, and best way to maintain aggro.
APOSTATES
Website | Recruitment | About Us
Jokerseven - Shadow | Ce'lia - Sentinel
Sentinel PvE Basics/ Marauder PvE Basics

grallmate
11.05.2012 , 01:07 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by BlznSmri View Post
Performing a proper priority queue, guarding the dps that's generating the most aggro and having dps cycle their threat drops is a good, quick, and best way to maintain aggro.
This is true. However, if you with to increase your possible threat/DPS, points in Accuracy will give you more benefit than points in Power, Crit or Surge. That is until you hit about 100% accuracy anyway, once you past that point its next to useless for anyone.

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar

Eternalnight
11.05.2012 , 06:06 AM | #16
You really don't know how accuracy works.

Try reading some of the earlier posts in this thread or others like this http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=532579

Now back to this
Accuracy is a good quick way to up your DPS (and TPS) by a noticeable margin (~11%) if you are having trouble keeping aggro.
I don't even have time to list all that is wrong with that.

- Since you don't say what class you speak of, I would have to assume that you are claiming it to be same for all tank classes. That is of course wrong as different classes have different number of abilities that are or are not affected by accuracy and those abilities do different percentage of their overall damage.

-Your posts are also written in a way that suggests that you believe that accuracy affects all damaging abilities. That is wrong too. Force and Tech abilities will hit 100% of the time even with 0 accuracy rating in gear, and are not affected by accuracy rating in any way what so ever. Also even with abilities that are affected, there is a difference between normal attacks and special attacks.

-Your post also suggest that the increase in TPS would be equal to the increase in DPS. That is wrong too, since some abilities do have higher threat modifier than others compared to the damage they do, and some of these are not affected by accuracy.

Now lets take for example this combat log posted by some friendly Vanguard with 0 accuracy rating.
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlo...ayer/6#d=0,b=1
Now as we can see most of his abilities do hit all the time (are not avoided at all). Now if you calculate the attacks that were avoided and how much of his total damage done they were and how much of that damage did miss, you can see that the amount of damage he missed due to lack of accuracy is even less than 2% of his total damage done. Pretty far from the ~11% you claimed.

Kitru
11.05.2012 , 08:28 AM | #17
Since it's Grall, I'm generally pretty willing to give him the benefit of the doubt concerning his ignorance of mechanics. I know for a fact that he knows that accuracy has no appreciable effect upon F/T attacks, in PvE or PvP. As such, when I read his statement, I included the unspoken caveats of "For Guardians". It should be relatively obvious since both VGs and Shadows use F/T attacks as a *vast* majority of their threat generation (Shadows are ~90%; VGs are something like 85%) whereas Guardians rely, in a less significant majority, on M/R attacks (60-70%, iirc). No Shadow or VG should have *any* appreciable Accuracy on their gear (they'll actually get more out of Power, since they're only missing out on about 1-2% of total DPS by not having it), but a Guardian could see some appreciable use out of it (Missing accounts for ~4-5% of total DPS loss so bridging that gap can account for more; even so, I would still opt for Strength rather than Accuracy for a Guardian since Strength is both a mitigation stat, thanks to Blade Barrier, and a threat gen stat).
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

grallmate
11.05.2012 , 03:40 PM | #18
You really don't know how accuracy works.

Try reading some of the earlier posts in this thread or others like this http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=532579

Now back to this

- Since you don't say what class you speak of, I would have to assume that you are claiming it to be same for all tank classes. That is of course wrong as different classes have different number of abilities that are or are not affected by accuracy and those abilities do different percentage of their overall damage.

-Your posts are also written in a way that suggests that you believe that accuracy affects all damaging abilities. That is wrong too. Force and Tech abilities will hit 100% of the time even with 0 accuracy rating in gear, and are not affected by accuracy rating in any way what so ever. Also even with abilities that are affected, there is a difference between normal attacks and special attacks.

-Your post also suggest that the increase in TPS would be equal to the increase in DPS. That is wrong too, since some abilities do have higher threat modifier than others compared to the damage they do, and some of these are not affected by accuracy.

Now lets take for example this combat log posted by some friendly Vanguard with 0 accuracy rating.
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlo...ayer/6#d=0,b=1
Now as we can see most of his abilities do hit all the time (are not avoided at all). Now if you calculate the attacks that were avoided and how much of his total damage done they were and how much of that damage did miss, you can see that the amount of damage he missed due to lack of accuracy is even less than 2% of his total damage done. Pretty far from the ~11% you claimed.
Given that the latest time accuracy was brought up was in respect to Guardians: yes I was talking about them. Accuracy has next to no value for the other 2 tank classes. If you wish to make assumptions that ignore the context of the thread AND throw doubt on a post: go for it. Don't expect me to take you seriously though.

Also remember that Force/Tech attacks have a base 100% accuracy while Melee/Ranged is only 90% base accuracy. Given Guardians make extensive use melee attacks. Accuracy does reflect a noticable increase in DPS and TPS.

You should also note: I said "Or you could learn to taunt effectively". Highlighting that accuracy is worth even less if you know how to play.

Gralleh Grall'eh Khyar

Kitru
11.05.2012 , 04:25 PM | #19
Also remember that Force/Tech attacks have a base 100% accuracy while Melee/Ranged is only 90% base accuracy.
Actually, this is a bit wrong. Special melee attacks (re: everything but your basic attack) have a 100% chance to hit. The reason that you don't always hit is because operations bosses have a certain amount of defense (6-8%, iirc) that needs to be counteracted.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

BlznSmri
11.05.2012 , 04:33 PM | #20
Given that the latest time accuracy was brought up was in respect to Guardians: yes I was talking about them. Accuracy has next to no value for the other 2 tank classes. If you wish to make assumptions that ignore the context of the thread AND throw doubt on a post: go for it. Don't expect me to take you seriously though.

Also remember that Force/Tech attacks have a base 100% accuracy while Melee/Ranged is only 90% base accuracy. Given Guardians make extensive use melee attacks. Accuracy does reflect a noticable increase in DPS and TPS.

You should also note: I said "Or you could learn to taunt effectively". Highlighting that accuracy is worth even less if you know how to play.
Basic attacks (Strike, Hammer Shot, Flurry of Bolts, Saber Strike) have base 90% Accuracy, "Special" attacks (ones that cost resources + zealot strike & guardian strike) have base 100% Accuracy (Force/ Tech accuracy).
APOSTATES
Website | Recruitment | About Us
Jokerseven - Shadow | Ce'lia - Sentinel
Sentinel PvE Basics/ Marauder PvE Basics