Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Want to hear suggestion of TOR fanfic

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community > Fan Fiction
Want to hear suggestion of TOR fanfic

errant_knight
11.04.2012 , 10:02 PM | #21
What capture? As far as I know, she was never captured.... I think part of the problem is you're starting with an end result in mind and forcing a plot that will make that happen. It will work better if you create a situation (after getting to know the characters thoroughly and as presented in the game first), and then let game lore and the characters guide you. If you let them 'speak', your work will be far more nuanced and exciting--for you as well as for the reader. A plot doesn't have to be complicated or have super powerful characters in it to be interesting. just create a situation that they care about and see what they do. That's why I say you need to play as many of the stories as possible, and the jedi knight for sure. You can't give control to the characters (at least in part) if you don't know them very, very well. And if you don't give control to the characters, your story will seem forced.

Kilikaa
11.04.2012 , 10:09 PM | #22
I love fanfics, especially Star Wars. I have written nearly thirty of my own based on my old Star Wars galaxies characters. So I understand what you want to do here. However, when i write I do a lot of research. I try to stick to the established lore, canon and timeline as best I can. When it comes to established characters, especially big ones like, in your case, Satele and Malgus, I make sure I do not change their history in a major way, if at all.

In your case you are taking huge liberties, something I avoid doing as much as possible. Your basic storyline is fine, I would suggest changing the major players, however. Have you considered replacing Satele and malgus with characters you created? I'm not talking game characters, but ones you create explicitly for this story? I see no reason why you couldn't make a Jedi who is a council member and a Sith who, at the very least, is a follower of Malgus.

Give it some thought. By using your own characters you have much more freedom to make your story work plus you won't have as much trouble trying to make sense out of things, like why Satele would even consider touching Malgus with anything but the blade of her lightsaber.

Slowpokeking
11.04.2012 , 10:10 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by errant_knight View Post
What capture? As far as I know, she was never captured.... I think part of the problem is you're starting with an end result in mind and forcing a plot that will make that happen. It will work better if you create a situation (after getting to know the characters thoroughly and as presented in the game first), and then let game lore and the characters guide you. If you let them 'speak', your work will be far more nuanced and exciting--for you as well as for the reader. A plot doesn't have to be complicated or have super powerful characters in it to be interesting. just create a situation that they care about and see what they do.
I wrote it in the OP. And no, you have to settle the overall plot direction from the beginning and change the details for the characters or it might lead to nowhere, I've tried it before.

I did, SI is cunning and dirty, SW is strong and wanted to prove her strength. BH is cold but she had her discipline, would not betray her employer unless they betray her first or do unnecessary killings.

The problem is just about Satele Shan but we just put it away, she would sacrifice herself for her son right? Let's start from her capture.

errant_knight
11.04.2012 , 10:12 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
I wrote it in the OP. And no, you have to settle the overall plot direction from the beginning and change the details for the characters or it might lead to nowhere, I've tried it before.

I did, SI is cunning and dirty, SW is strong and wanted to prove her strength. BH is cold but she had her discipline, would not betray her employer unless they betray her first or do unnecessary killings.

The problem is just about Satele Shan but we just put it away, she would sacrifice herself for her son right? Let's start from her capture.
ok, I have to wash my hands of this now. You're just making up huge things with major characters and....well, you're going to do what you're going to do.

Slowpokeking
11.04.2012 , 10:16 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilikaa View Post
I love fanfics, especially Star Wars. I have written nearly thirty of my own based on my old Star Wars galaxies characters. So I understand what you want to do here. However, when i write I do a lot of research. I try to stick to the established lore, canon and timeline as best I can. When it comes to established characters, especially big ones like, in your case, Satele and Malgus, I make sure I do not change their history in a major way, if at all.

In your case you are taking huge liberties, something I avoid doing as much as possible. Your basic storyline is fine, I would suggest changing the major players, however. Have you considered replacing Satele and malgus with characters you created? I'm not talking game characters, but ones you create explicitly for this story? I see no reason why you couldn't make a Jedi who is a council member and a Sith who, at the very least, is a follower of Malgus.

Give it some thought. By using your own characters you have much more freedom to make your story work plus you won't have as much trouble trying to make sense out of things, like why Satele would even consider touching Malgus with anything but the blade of her lightsaber.
Well I prefer to stick with the plot as well, even in a SW&LotR crossover I still made sure it would not contradict anything in SW's main plot so I chose to start from the end of current TOR story, which they haven't given the new plot out yet, and avoid original characters unless no existing character could fit the role.

Well, since she could take the risk to work with a Sith Lord who killed countless Jedi and betrayed her ancestor before, permit her Jedi to aid her ancestor with the genocide plan and that frame thing, I think she would consider this. It's not she couldn't kill Malgus later.

Slowpokeking
11.04.2012 , 10:20 PM | #26
ok, I have to wash my hands of this now. You're just making up huge things with major characters and....well, you're going to do what you're going to do.
I gave my reasons and my understanding of the character, from what I saw from Satele and the Jedi Order through the Imperial storyline, they had done much more horrible things before, such thing is not a big deal.

But I didn't start this thread to argue such thing, so I said let's put this away and talk about what's going to happen next. I guess I should just start the OP with "SI captured Satele and tried to corrupt her like Malak did to her ancestor".

errant_knight
11.04.2012 , 10:26 PM | #27
See, this is what I'm saying. There can't be a next that has any logic when your plot is based on what seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of one of your main characters. You can write it from the imperial pov, but you have to write Shan's actions and words from a jedi one. so you need to know what that is. And I'm not saying that you shouldn't have a rough outline, but you can't make decisions about what what characters would do until you really know them. The fact is, that often changes during writing as well.

Slowpokeking
11.04.2012 , 10:36 PM | #28
See, this is what I'm saying. There can't be a next that has any logic when your plot is based on what seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of one of your main characters. You can write it from the imperial pov, but you have to write Shan's actions and words from a jedi one. so you need to know what that is. And I'm not saying that you shouldn't have a rough outline, but you can't make decisions about what what characters would do until you really know them. The fact is, that often changes during writing as well.
Why? If you don't like the Malgus&Satele part, just ignore it. SI captured her son and lured her there. Then she chose to be captured by the SI to gain her son's freedom, that fit her character well right? Then can you give advice of what would happen next?

But if you still want to continue on the Malgus pair, like I said, she could aid her ancestor's plan of wipe out 98% of the Imperial population, work with a Sith Lord who had killed countless Jedi and betrayed her ancestor, caused the death of a savior of the Jedi order and her ancestor to be imprisoned by the Emperor for 300 years. The Jedi under her leadership framed someone with a lot of crimes that even the chancellor said it was wrong. Why do you think it's impossible for her to use Malgus to have a child? Her personal hatred?

Kilikaa
11.04.2012 , 10:43 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Well I prefer to stick with the plot as well, even in a SW&LotR crossover I still made sure it would not contradict anything in SW's main plot so I chose to start from the end of current TOR story, which they haven't given the new plot out yet, and avoid original characters unless no existing character could fit the role.

Well, since she could take the risk to work with a Sith Lord who killed countless Jedi and betrayed her ancestor before, permit her Jedi to aid her ancestor with the genocide plan and that frame thing, I think she would consider this. It's not she couldn't kill Malgus later.
Before I give you another suggestion I want to make clear I am not trying dissuade you from making the story at all. I am merely trying to help you make it in a way that makes sense and flows well. Believe me, all I am trying to do is help.

Now, before you go any further with this play through the Jedi night story. You will get a better idea of things. Now think about this (warning, spoiler here if you have not already heard, which i think everyone in their grandmother has by now) who would be better suited to potentially have a child powerful enough to possibly destroy the Empire> Satele and Malgus or a Jedi who killed the Emperor? Malgus I wouldn't consider being the Sith father as he, at this point in time, is most likely unable to father a child.

You can still have the capture of Shan, but that could be the lure to get your Knight to come to herr rescue and succumb to the plan. Just throwing this out there for you.

LiquidHayter
11.04.2012 , 10:53 PM | #30
Not to rain on your parade, but Malgus and the Twi'lek from the intro video of Deception were lovers. Her name is Eleena. And if you'd like to know what happens between them 1)read the book Deception or 2) click the spoiler:

Spoiler

So with that, I find any love relation between Malgus kinda far fetched. Also, Malgus seems so ****** until I found out he had a lover. And constantly had to protect her. Then I decided he was a little *****.
Remember: Your focus determines your reality.. And I am focusing my blaster right in between your eyes.