Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Doomsdaycomes
11.03.2012 , 08:31 PM | #151
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
you mean a knockback? why would you prefer to have a cone effect? there is nothing wrong with Mercs 360deg knockback right now, and it should not be "fixed" as you say. i have no problems with ability delay, and rarely have a problem with latency not showing people in the correct place. the ability to clear an entire ramp in huttball is very nice, and i would prefer for it to NOT be removed.

youre whining for an instant heal? lol. we've got 2 heals at our disposal right now, and have the ability to make one instant in a pinch. and giving us an instant heal is not going to help with our ability to maintain dps output while being mobile, which is the crux of the problems with Merc.
Hey hey, let's keep it civil. No one here is really whinning for anything.

I think fixing our HoT to be more usefull will help the class over all. It may not help maintain damage output (Since arsenal can both be LoS'ed or intterupted, and if we're LoS'ing for survivability we can't be dps'ing), I think it will go for general all around survivability. Arsenal's problem atm is it can not dish out it's damage before it dies, so anything that keeps it alive longer will help.

So a minor fix to the HoT (or just make it a decent self heal CD) will help. I'm still hoping for attaching unintteruptable to a CD (reserve powercell).

cashogy
11.03.2012 , 09:17 PM | #152
Quote: Originally Posted by Doomsdaycomes View Post
Hey hey, let's keep it civil. No one here is really whinning for anything.

I think fixing our HoT to be more usefull will help the class over all. It may not help maintain damage output (Since arsenal can both be LoS'ed or intterupted, and if we're LoS'ing for survivability we can't be dps'ing), I think it will go for general all around survivability. Arsenal's problem atm is it can not dish out it's damage before it dies, so anything that keeps it alive longer will help.

So a minor fix to the HoT (or just make it a decent self heal CD) will help. I'm still hoping for attaching unintteruptable to a CD (reserve powercell).
and how would you "fix" the HoT? 15% heal over 10s, i like it quite a bit and dont see how it could be perceived as "broken".

Merc is so easy to kill b/c the vast majority of players are melee. Once melee gets in a Merc's grill, there is nothing the Merc can do to effectively kite and continue damage. You can either stand there and get your pummeled or you can try to run away, all the while pew-pewing with Rapid Shots. A instant-cast heal is not a real fix to this problem.

I think this suggestion got buried, but how about this:
- Muzzle Fluting is changed from .5s cast reduction on Power Shot/Tracer Missile to 2s cast reduction. In conjunction, Tracer Missile damage is reduced by 20%, and Heatseeker Missile damage is increased by 20%.

This fixes Mercs largest weakness without penalizing current players by forcing them to change their builds to acquire what they should already have had. It also tones down Tracer Missile damage, as it being Tech and Instant would make a little over-effective (its still possibly to hit nearly 3k with a Tracer Missile crit). At the same time, Heatseeker Missiles receives a damage increase to make up for the lost damage from Tracer Missile's 20% damage reduction. The increase to Heatseeker Missile would offset the Tracer Missile decrease, and both Arsenal and Pyrotech would gain a crapload of mobile damage potential.

Id be willing to be that with this one change, a whole lot of Mercs problems would go away

Doomsdaycomes
11.03.2012 , 10:06 PM | #153
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
and how would you "fix" the HoT? 15% heal over 10s, i like it quite a bit and dont see how it could be perceived as "broken".
Well, on my Commando I've got 20k hp, so the HoT heals 3000 of 10 seconds, or 300 each second. Problem is, people can deal much more than 300 each second in those ten seconds. For it to be any use, I practically have to use it at the very start of the fight.

Now if it were a 3000 instant self heal, at least then it might be useful, giving us a precious 3-4 seconds in the middle or tail end of the fight.

Smashbrother
11.03.2012 , 11:14 PM | #154
The HoT needs a lower cd to like 30-45s, and keep it the way it is.

We need a baseline on command root really bad, something like the sniper's and we need some type of escape mechanism. Oh and full auto should be immune to interrupts.

xxIncubixx
11.04.2012 , 05:28 AM | #155
Quote: Originally Posted by AsiriusNazriel View Post
Arsenal is too easily shutdown because people are not reacting appropriately when they get attacked. All they want to do is spam TM. That's all it is TM TM TM, Unload, Railshot, TM TM TM, rinse repeat.

Yeah as if someone is gonna let you go and spam that from the back row. Same people who used to press 1 button for wins are now crying for a buff.
what? what u mean 1 button for wins? you couldalways interrupt... it was never overpowered rofl. it was just baddies not knowing how to interrupt that nerfed the class to broken status, but news flash it was always broken.

thing is against anyone that has 2 inches of brain, mercenary will always lose, doesnt matter if you are good or not, arsenal or pyrotech doesnt matter really.

DariusCalera
11.04.2012 , 06:46 AM | #156
Quote: Originally Posted by AsiriusNazriel View Post
Arsenal is too easily shutdown because people are not reacting appropriately when they get attacked. All they want to do is spam TM. That's all it is TM TM TM, Unload, Railshot, TM TM TM, rinse repeat.

Yeah as if someone is gonna let you go and spam that from the back row. Same people who used to press 1 button for wins are now crying for a buff.
That's probably because all of their heavy hitting abilities are tied to TM/Grav Round.

Want your CoF proc? Gotta use Grav Round.

Want your HiB to do damage? Gotta use Grav Round.

Want your Demo Round to hit like a truck? Gotta use Grav Round.

And now, the newest one. Want an instant heal? Gotta use Grav Round.

The above could be why they are spamming it.

cashogy
11.04.2012 , 09:43 AM | #157
Again, this one change would solve the majority of Mercs problems:

- Muzzle Fluting changed from .5s cast reduction on Tracer Missile/Power Shot to 2s cast reduction (making them instant)
- Tracer Missile damage reduced by 20%, Power Shot damage reduced by 10%
- Heatseeker Missile damage increased by 20%, Thermal Detonator increased by 10%

Bam, the ability to maintain damage output while mobile. Reducing damage on Tracer Missile/Power Shot is necessary, but that damage is accounted for by transfering it to Heatseeker Missile/Thermal Detonator in order to keep Merc damage output where it is right now (which is a pretty good place).

EhonFett
11.04.2012 , 10:14 AM | #158
I honestly don't see what the problem is with dps merc. I love my merc in pvp. I mostly play arsenal spec but from time to time will dip into pyro for a game or two. I think alot of the problem is that the majority of people that play merc / commando in pvp (and players in genera) have been misled into thinking they cannot compete. Reading threads like this (there are numerous) it is obvous that 1. the majority of players belive merc dps = bad in pvp and 2. everyone disagrees why. Anyways thats my observation, please proceed making incoherent complaints / demands.
Ehon - Arsenal Mercenary

Lajota
11.04.2012 , 10:23 AM | #159
How about reducing adrenaline rush to like 30-40 seconds cooldown, and giving the commando/merc a 30% speed boost for the duration?

Serpieri
11.04.2012 , 10:23 AM | #160
Quote: Originally Posted by EhonFett View Post
I honestly don't see what the problem is with dps merc. I love my merc in pvp. I mostly play arsenal spec but from time to time will dip into pyro for a game or two. I think alot of the problem is that the majority of people that play merc / commando in pvp (and players in genera) have been misled into thinking they cannot compete. Reading threads like this (there are numerous) it is obvous that 1. the majority of players belive merc dps = bad in pvp and 2. everyone disagrees why. Anyways thats my observation, please proceed making incoherent complaints / demands.
I primarily play a powertech and marauder and the merc class by far the easiest kill when it comes to pvp. And this is an observation shared by many and unlike you they have expressed what the issues are and even suggested methods on how to alleviate some of the issues plaguing this inferior ac.

BTW, when are you gonna post a youtube of your arsenal merc doing excellent in a RWZ?