Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

mefit
11.03.2012 , 10:48 AM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Its ETC! Sorry, I managed to tolerate it before but now its just bugging me.

Cool beans , I have been misabbreviating it. My bad , problematic youth is cetching up with me . But in all seriousness , you could have messaged me and just post a honest reply to the debat rather than offering Grammar lessons , you must be a english major !

""""""" Congratulations""""""""
Darth Mefit
Sith Marauder
Chiss
Shadowlands Server

Captain_Zone
11.03.2012 , 11:00 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by mefit View Post
The New StarTrek Movie was not a REBOOT , I think someone already stated this .........................
Do not blame the Movie for your weaknesses , It was stated from start of the Movie to the end . At the begining of the movie it showed Time being changed by Nero who was seeking Revenge for his Planet being Destroyed . It also featured Original Spock and his Younger self .

You did not like it , thats fine . Thats your Opinion , I liked it . Thought it was a good update in a old series to match the younger Generation who have short attention spans . Needless to say Nero is now one of my favorite StarTrek Villians under Picard's Clone Shinzon (Played by Tom Hardy "Bane/BatmanRises" one of my favorite actors).

I am not limited to StarWars in the fantasies I enjoy , I love Marvel , DC, StarTrek , StarWars , MassEffect , DragonAge , Fable , The ElderScrolls , The Witcher , Dune .................ect ect ect ect ! I love good stories in General and I am finally happy now a Owner that did not create Luke Skywalker is in control of him . We might now see the Character tested like he was in OT Movies again , he doesn't have to die but it would be nice to watch him here and there get reminded hes Mortal !
Hate to break it to ya, but the Star Trek movie WAS a reboot of the FRANCHISE. It wasn't a reboot of the Universe, since it was explained during the movie that they were now in a parallel universe. But as far as rebooting the franchise, it did the job admirably.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Beniboybling
11.03.2012 , 11:05 AM | #123

Cool beans , I have been misabbreviating it. My bad , problematic youth is cetching up with me . But in all seriousness , you could have messaged me and just post a honest reply to the debat rather than offering Grammar lessons , you must be a english major !

""""""" Congratulations""""""""
apologies, but when it comes to grammar I take personal offense

mefit
11.03.2012 , 11:16 AM | #124
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Hate to break it to ya, but the Star Trek movie WAS a reboot of the FRANCHISE. It wasn't a reboot of the Universe, since it was explained during the movie that they were now in a parallel universe. But as far as rebooting the franchise, it did the job admirably.

Generally a REBOOT is starting from Scratch , not taking everything previously done and bringing it along for the ride . Granted we will see new stories and changes to the main characters that never happened in the ORIGINAL UNIVERSE ("Most importantly a upgrade in Tech") but it cannot be a real Reboot when the past movies and stories are in the same Canon with the new Movies and Stories . Its not a REAL PARALLEL UNIVERSE when now the other Universe was likely changed with this new one being this was TIME TRAVEL not Portal Hoping.

You see Original Spock is still alive and in the NEW Time Line being set , so in fact the it cannot be a real REBOOT .
But it is a Fresh start , so I guess I can see how you would see it as a REBOOT.
It cannot really be a Parallel Universe when the one Original Spoke Came from is no longer existing because of the TIME TRAVEL .
Being now Original Spoke is still alive and god knows who lived from Nero's ship or what Tech might have made it , the Previous Time line still holds water .
So you could (A) Look at it as a Reboot , or
(B) a continuation of the already set series but changing due to timetravel !

Either or I thought the movie was good and will allow Kirk to woop more *** and commit go knows how many breaking of Regulation with each lower officer he sleeps with !

BY THE WAY , I remember the Next Generation , it also was feared because the older fans did not want to move past Kirk ! William Shatner with all his trying will always be remembered as Kirk , he might not like it but its the way it is and it brought him wealth he probably would not have had otherwise and a fan base that was extremely loyal to him and his castmates .
Same will be said of George Lucas , he wants to be known for otherthings besides StarWars , his Filming Directions , his ability to write Stories , and how he forever changed Films as we know it .But he will always be known and remembered for StarWars !
Darth Mefit
Sith Marauder
Chiss
Shadowlands Server

Captain_Zone
11.03.2012 , 11:25 AM | #125

Generally a REBOOT is starting from Scratch , not taking everything previously done and bringing it along for the ride . Granted we will see new stories and changes to the main characters that never happened in the ORIGINAL UNIVERSE ("Most importantly a upgrade in Tech") but it cannot be a real Reboot when the past movies and stories are in the same Canon with the new Movies and Stories . Its not a REAL PARALLEL UNIVERSE when now the other Universe was likely changed with this new one being this was TIME TRAVEL not Portal Hoping.

You see Original Spock is still alive and in the NEW Time Line being set , so in fact the it cannot be a real REBOOT .
But it is a Fresh start , so I guess I can see how you would see it as a REBOOT.
It cannot really be a Parallel Universe when the one Original Spoke Came from is no longer existing because of the TIME TRAVEL .
Being now Original Spoke is still alive and god knows who lived from Nero's ship or what Tech might have made it , the Previous Time line still holds water .
So you could (A) Look at it as a Reboot , or

Either or I thought the movie was good and will allow Kirk to woop more *** and commit go knows how many breaking of Regulation with each lower officer he sleeps with !

BY THE WAY , I remember the Next Generation , it also was feared because the older fans did not want to move past Kirk ! William Shatner with all his trying will always be remembered as Kirk , he might not like it but its the way it is and it brought him wealth he probably would not have had otherwise and a fan base that was extremely loyal to him and his castmates .
Same will be said of George Lucas , he wants to be known for otherthings besides StarWars , his Filming Directions , his ability to write Stories , and how he forever changed Films as we know it .But he will always be known and remembered for StarWars !
When a reboot happens, it means that the original universe will no longer be the main story universe. DC with Earth 2 (original DC Universe) was replaced by Earth 1. Then New Earth after Crisis on Infinite Earths. Those are just a couple examples of a Reboot. As with Old Spock in the new Star Trek movie, Power Girl managed to stick around after New Earth was formed, as did a few other Crisis survivors. Now DC has the "New Universe" which has rebooted their continuity yet again. New costumes. New origin stories. I blame Grant Morrison and his "Batman Franchise" for that. But then, I blame Grant Morrison for dang near everything bad that's happened in DC lately. He's the anti-Geoff Johns. lol
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Eillack
11.03.2012 , 11:32 AM | #126

So you could
(A) Look at it as a Reboot , or

You do know JJ-Trek was labeled as a reboot right?

And the Narada was a mining ship originally as stated in that lens flare flick but the backstory was that it was outfitted with Romulan-Borg technology.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

mefit
11.03.2012 , 12:09 PM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
You do know JJ-Trek was labeled as a reboot right?

And the Narada was a mining ship originally as stated in that lens flare flick but the backstory was that it was outfitted with Romulan-Borg technology.
1. It can be Labled anything , in the end a true REBOOT would not be a TIME TRAVEL Story .
2. It can seem as a Soft Reboot if you look at the Definition of Soft Reboot .

If the the Original Universe is still living through Spock , its is not a TOTAL REBOOT !

Taken from Wiki
"The alternate timeline was created in an effort to free the film and the franchise from established continuity constraints while simultaneously preserving original story elements."

I am not sure why the White Line was a Reply to me seeing how I did not argue or debat anything to do with the ship other than I said New Tech(Meaning a Upgrade in Ships to keep up with Modern day imagination) .
Darth Mefit
Sith Marauder
Chiss
Shadowlands Server

Beniboybling
11.03.2012 , 12:34 PM | #128
1. It can be Labled anything , in the end a true REBOOT would not be a TIME TRAVEL Story .
2. It can seem as a Soft Reboot if you look at the Definition of Soft Reboot .

If the the Original Universe is still living through Spock , its is not a TOTAL REBOOT !

Taken from Wiki
"The alternate timeline was created in an effort to free the film and the franchise from established continuity constraints while simultaneously preserving original story elements."

I am not sure why the White Line was a Reply to me seeing how I did not argue or debat anything to do with the ship other than I said New Tech(Meaning a Upgrade in Ships to keep up with Modern day imagination) .
Whether its a reboot or not is irrelevant, lets get back on topic. The new films will not be a 'reboot', Star Wars is in no need of one, it will be a continuation of the story.

Linkdavinque
11.03.2012 , 02:25 PM | #129
First off, the Thrawn Trilogy is one of the best SW EU period. If it wasn't we'd not all be here talking and playing SWTOR. It was the first new SW product siince the droids/Ewok stuff. It might have sold well regardless, but if Heir to the Empire wasn't as good as it was then the other books would not have sold as well. SInce they all did do well it opened the door for new merch and new movies and games.

Also EU books are good because when we read them we hear the characters voices and can picture what they look like in our mind, because the movies showed us. If we did not have that to start from, most of them would prob not be as good as they are to us.

The new movie stuff is exciting...even for me who did see the orginal trilogy in theaters. We have to remember its not just our generation or now even the episode 1-3 generation, but future generations that will get to see and experience all the magic we had when we were young, and for some of us still do today

So when the time comes, just sit back, relax and enjoy the trip to a galaxy far far away.

jarjarloves
11.03.2012 , 02:31 PM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
hey look at that we agree on something again.