Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

jarjarloves's Avatar


jarjarloves
11.03.2012 , 05:51 AM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
Strange...I thought it was because people kept QQ"n for more movies, got more movies, thwn QQ'd some more because Ep I-3 was made specifically to their wants and needs.



Funny because Marvel comics have been going down the drain sinse Disney got ahold of it...yet you don't see that being talked about anywhere..
the hell it has. The X-men vs Avengers storyline was amazing. Much better then the Skrull war story line they did.

Rikalonius's Avatar


Rikalonius
11.03.2012 , 06:21 AM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by LordPorkins View Post
It seems Disney intends to take forward Episode 7 with a new storyline. I think this is good news, there will be less of a feeling that a dead horse is being flogged, and hopefully not too many geriatric ex- star wars actors turning up.

Although I can see Mark Hamill coming back as the new Obi Wan Kenobi role.

What is also good news, is that the ridiculous post ROTJ books will not be made into films. Star Wars is the films, for better or for worse, and devaluing the product to make more money by releasing all these books and comics, is a sad reality of the modern world. We don't need to compound this by turning them into films.

The franchise needs a proper reboot, like they achieved with Star Trek, not re-animating second class literature.
First, the reboot of Star Trek wasn't all that good. It took a timeless series of stories, that are still watched by people today, and turned it into another summer blockbuster with the chic pretty boy actors of the time, and sprinkled in a cliched action oriented story that will be forgotten long before the TOS will. When I watched it the first time I was impressed, because of the special effects mainly, I think, but watching it two years later I realized how campy it really was. It offered nothing to science fiction, and did plenty to damage the franchise.

Second, many of the EU books, and there are some horrible stinkers, are better than the prequels. Mara Jade is a compelling character and hugely popular, why squander that?

Lastly, they won't be a reboot. The first one is still titled episode 7, so they will be a follow on to ROTJ, like it or not. How long after Return is anyone's guess. Whether or not they intend to recast the main characters is again anyone's guess, but they wouldn't deliberately title it Episode 7 if it wasn't chronological.

DarkDisturbed's Avatar


DarkDisturbed
11.03.2012 , 07:23 AM | #113
I think the reason that many are happy to hear the story will be orginial are the same people who consider post RoTJ canon the worst star war stories in existence.

I for one, will be giddy with excitement for the emperor's clones and Luke getting married being retconned!

Also, light whips. That ****'s just stupid.

bahdasz's Avatar


bahdasz
11.03.2012 , 08:19 AM | #114
I doubt very much I will ever go see a Disney Star Wars movie. The prequels were enough of a let down, but at least Lucas had direct involvement. I predict any new SW movie, especially with Disney at the helm, being about as good as the Holiday Special was.

Eillack's Avatar


Eillack
11.03.2012 , 08:21 AM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
the hell it has. The X-men vs Avengers storyline was amazing. Much better then the Skrull war story line they did.
Did you even read AvX? Let alone look at how sales in Marvel are literally falling over the past few years?

The story was one of the worst written in years and many tend to agree with how poorly implemented it has been with other comic series as well...then there was the out of order releases for the individual battles, then the fact that the series was a cheap version of Civil War mixed with "OMG we need to do what we tried to stop with our knee-kerk reaction."

Marvel forums, when they are even alive, let alone any Marvel-based forum tends to lean away from AvX and the sales of most of the series under the Marvel banner. There are a few good series, but then again one of the last gasps Marvel is having is their version of New 52 via Marvel NOW and killing off some good series for low-expectation ones.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Karkais's Avatar


Karkais
11.03.2012 , 08:25 AM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Rikalonius View Post
First, the reboot of Star Trek wasn't all that good. It took a timeless series of stories, that are still watched by people today, and turned it into another summer blockbuster with the chic pretty boy actors of the time, and sprinkled in a cliched action oriented story that will be forgotten long before the TOS will. When I watched it the first time I was impressed, because of the special effects mainly, I think, but watching it two years later I realized how campy it really was. It offered nothing to science fiction, and did plenty to damage the franchise.
Seconding this. The so-called movie is already forgotten pretty much. I managed to watch it by getting drunk first.

Star Wars on the other hand doesn't need a reboot, just a more serious approach to doing the movie.
"Their strength became my own. Their minds became my own. All flesh is my flesh. None move, save I will it. This is the rule the Sith were promised, and I have made it real!"
- From the codex of Karness Muur

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
11.03.2012 , 09:58 AM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
Did you even read AvX? Let alone look at how sales in Marvel are literally falling over the past few years?

The story was one of the worst written in years and many tend to agree with how poorly implemented it has been with other comic series as well...then there was the out of order releases for the individual battles, then the fact that the series was a cheap version of Civil War mixed with "OMG we need to do what we tried to stop with our knee-kerk reaction."

Marvel forums, when they are even alive, let alone any Marvel-based forum tends to lean away from AvX and the sales of most of the series under the Marvel banner. There are a few good series, but then again one of the last gasps Marvel is having is their version of New 52 via Marvel NOW and killing off some good series for low-expectation ones.
Comic book sales are down across the board, man. Not just Marvel. Granted, I'm not that big of a Marvel fan, since I prefer DC since they got Geoff Johns. But seriously, DC, Dark Horse, Dynamite!, and others have seen their sales hit the toilet lately. It's still the economy. Tbh, the only Marvel books I read are Deadpool. lol
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

mefit's Avatar


mefit
11.03.2012 , 10:25 AM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
Did you even read AvX? Let alone look at how sales in Marvel are literally falling over the past few years?

The story was one of the worst written in years and many tend to agree with how poorly implemented it has been with other comic series as well...then there was the out of order releases for the individual battles, then the fact that the series was a cheap version of Civil War mixed with "OMG we need to do what we tried to stop with our knee-kerk reaction."

Marvel forums, when they are even alive, let alone any Marvel-based forum tends to lean away from AvX and the sales of most of the series under the Marvel banner. There are a few good series, but then again one of the last gasps Marvel is having is their version of New 52 via Marvel NOW and killing off some good series for low-expectation ones.
Comics no matter the Company been down , the newer generations of kids or kids turning Adult as less patient or intrested in that type of Media than ever before .
When I was a Kid we had Nintendo but we still went outside and played , heck we bought Comic cards and traded them like baseball cards . I remember how much love you got for having the rare Card !
I mean I am sure I am old to some of you and maybe still young to others , I am only 33 but when I was a kid Comic Shops were busy . I mean I am sure a few out there are doing well but there is alot that are not.

I think its sad but its is very true . Now just because you did not enjoy a story or comic series , does not mean everyone else didn't . Disney has done nothing to Marvel that Marvel wouldn't have done on its own , its is almost like the buyout of Marvel never happened .
I mean Mickey Mouse has yet to join X-Force !
If you do not know what X-Force is , I advise you to go out and get "X-Cutioner's Song" series (Its 1990s comic set of X-men/X-Factor/X-Force but its about Cable the leader of X-Force and his Clone !) !
Darth Mefit
Sith Marauder
Chiss
Shadowlands Server

mefit's Avatar


mefit
11.03.2012 , 10:40 AM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by Karkais View Post
Seconding this. The so-called movie is already forgotten pretty much. I managed to watch it by getting drunk first.

Star Wars on the other hand doesn't need a reboot, just a more serious approach to doing the movie.
The New StarTrek Movie was not a REBOOT , I think someone already stated this .........................
Do not blame the Movie for your weaknesses , It was stated from start of the Movie to the end . At the begining of the movie it showed Time being changed by Nero who was seeking Revenge for his Planet being Destroyed . It also featured Original Spock and his Younger self .

You did not like it , thats fine . Thats your Opinion , I liked it . Thought it was a good update in a old series to match the younger Generation who have short attention spans . Needless to say Nero is now one of my favorite StarTrek Villians under Picard's Clone Shinzon (Played by Tom Hardy "Bane/BatmanRises" one of my favorite actors).

I am not limited to StarWars in the fantasies I enjoy , I love Marvel , DC, StarTrek , StarWars , MassEffect , DragonAge , Fable , The ElderScrolls , The Witcher , Dune .................ect ect ect ect ! I love good stories in General and I am finally happy now a Owner that did not create Luke Skywalker is in control of him . We might now see the Character tested like he was in OT Movies again , he doesn't have to die but it would be nice to watch him here and there get reminded hes Mortal !
Darth Mefit
Sith Marauder
Chiss
Shadowlands Server

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
11.03.2012 , 10:42 AM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by mefit View Post

.................ect ect ect ect !
Its ETC! Sorry, I managed to tolerate it before but now its just bugging me.