Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

this "original story" might not even mess with the current EU

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
this "original story" might not even mess with the current EU

Kilikaa
11.02.2012 , 08:20 PM | #21
For all the people who wish the EU to be destroyed, you will be sorely disappointed. Disney would be foolish as hell to ruin or even dump the EU. Part of the reason Star Wars is as huge as it is now is because of the EU. Remove that and you will see a great exodus of fans who give up on the franchise. Disney would LOSE money. The EU will stand as is, with some tweaking here and there.

The new films have a lot of room for new stories that take place in between the events of the novels.There is no need to stomp over the EU while also not needing to make any existing work into a film. Like it or not, the EU will stay.

jarjarloves
11.02.2012 , 08:24 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Kilikaa View Post
For all the people who wish the EU to be destroyed, you will be sorely disappointed. Disney would be foolish as hell to ruin or even dump the EU. Part of the reason Star Wars is as huge as it is now is because of the EU. Remove that and you will see a great exodus of fans who give up on the franchise. Disney would LOSE money. The EU will stand as is, with some tweaking here and there.

The new films have a lot of room for new stories that take place in between the events of the novels.There is no need to stomp over the EU while also not needing to make any existing work into a film. Like it or not, the EU will stay.
no they won't They didn't up and leave when lucas made the prequels and dumped all the EU stuff. They are not going to leave now. Especially if the new stuff turns out to be good.

Remember less then 1% of the total Star Wars fans have ever read a Star Wars book.

Slowpokeking
11.02.2012 , 08:28 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
no they won't They didn't up and leave when lucas made the prequels and dumped all the EU stuff. They are not going to leave now. Especially if the new stuff turns out to be good.

Remember less then 1% of the total Star Wars fans have ever read a Star Wars book.
Most of the EU didn't get dumped, just some old style comic and some short stories.

Kilikaa
11.02.2012 , 08:35 PM | #24

Less than 1%? How do you know that? I swear, the numbers people throw around.

Lucas never dumped all the Eu stuff. Older comics and a few other things. But the EU from the 90's on is still intact and will remain so. I also stand by what I said about Disney losing money of they ditch the EU. They would be stupid to do so.

jarjarloves
11.02.2012 , 08:38 PM | #25
Less than 1%? How do you know that? I swear, the numbers people throw around.

Lucas never dumped all the Eu stuff. Older comics and a few other things. But the EU from the 90's on is still intact and will remain so. I also stand by what I said about Disney losing money of they ditch the EU. They would be stupid to do so.
easy look at ticket sales for the movies. The prequels easily sold well over 100 million tickets each.

The books at best only ever sell around 100k
do the math that comes out to less then 1%.
If you want to look at the break down the books are pretty much the smallest part of the pie

http://www.statisticbrain.com/star-w...chise-revenue/

Slowpokeking
11.02.2012 , 08:40 PM | #26
The problem is

Why can't they keep the EU and make new movie at that same time? Just choose another era.

jarjarloves
11.02.2012 , 08:46 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
The problem is

Why can't they keep the EU and make new movie at that same time? Just choose another era.
because like I said only a very small portion of the community knows about the EU. So to do a movie in another era you would get a much larger part of that fan base saying "What is this? This isn't star wars where are the characters I know? Who are these people?"

So they do Episode 7 and bring Han , Luke and Leia (obviously much older now) as something familer then they slowly bring in the new stuff. Eventually they get rid of Han Luke an Leia.

Kilikaa
11.02.2012 , 08:47 PM | #28
easy look at ticket sales for the movies. The prequels easily sold well over 100 million tickets each.

If you want to look at the break down the books are pretty much the smallest part of the pie

The EU is still a big part of Star Wars and ditching it will piss off a lot more than one percent of the fan base. Again, Disney would be foolish to do so. I will say it again...The haters of the EU will be disappointed when it is not removed from existance. There is way too much out there in terms of characters and settings to just dump. Some of the most popular characters are EU ones. Why would Disney trash those instead of try to cash in on them? The EU is bigger than people think.

jarjarloves
11.02.2012 , 08:52 PM | #29
The EU is still a big part of Star Wars and ditching it will piss off a lot more than one percent of the fan base. Again, Disney would be foolish to do so. I will say it again...The haters of the EU will be disappointed when it is not removed from existance. There is way too much out there in terms of characters and settings to just dump. Some of the most popular characters are EU ones. Why would Disney trash those instead of try to cash in on them? The EU is bigger than people think.
even if it pissed off say 20% of the fan base they would still watch the new Episode. If they managed to stay with Star Wars through Episode 1-3 there is very little that will actually make them leave.

More fans will be happy just to have a Star Wars movie NOT made by George Lucas.

You are also wrong about the Characters. The most popular ones are still the ones from the OT.

Vader is the Highest Selling Character followed by
Boba Fett then Han Solo

Not a single EU would even crack the top 20.

Also remember every year there are millions of new Star Wars fans as kids grow up watching the Clone Wars and the Prequels.

More people know about the Clone Wars show then they do the EU and the Post ROTJ stuff.

Also Remember they already said that Episode 7 would be something original and not draw from any source.

That one statement pretty much says what Disney's plan for the post ROTJ EU is.

edit: Look at Lord of the Rings. Peter Jackson took some pretty BIG liberites with the story and there are a LOT of hardcore Tolken fans and they were really pissed off. But guess what? It didn't hurt the sales of the movie at all.

edit edit: Want more proof? Look at what they did with Marvel and the Avengers. Now yes they kept the origin stories the same... for the most part. But granted the origin stories have been rewritten so many times. Look what they did with the sequels and the Avengers.
Iron Man 2. New story, Whiplash is a combination of 2 characters, Justin Hammer nothing like how he is in the comics, Iron Mans paladium posioning is new and not in comics, War Machines Orgin completely new.

Avengers- plot has never existed in the comics. They completley disregaurded the comics when they made it.

Thor- I really don't know enough about thor to say much about it but I do know that Loki isn't a frost giant in the comic.

Iron Man 3. I know they are going a new direction for the Mandrain (he is not asian in teh movie) and The Iron Patriot is nothing like he is in the Comics. (in the comics he is Norman Osborne from Spiderman)

But it didn't piss off the fans.

Emperor_Kakashi
11.02.2012 , 09:19 PM | #30

And the video games? They make a lot of money too. EU isn't just the books.

As for the link, that has the books as earning more than 1%.

Thor- I really don't know enough about thor to say much about it but I do know that Loki isn't a frost giant in the comic..
http://marvel.com/universe/Loki