Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

Spiritinblack
11.02.2012 , 02:21 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
That's what the rumors are saying already. The press release from Disney that says "Forget everything you knew about Luke, Leia, and Han as far as what happens to them after RotJ". I'm honestly hoping that's just hype and they think better of it. But if it's true, and Disney doesn't handle it right, it WILL piss off a lot of fans. Leland Chee, hopefully, is all over this already.
I think the reason they are saying this is because Lucas already had an idea for the last trilogy.

It was always supposed to be 9 ( or more, 12 is number that was thrown out there).

It is about a period of around 50-60 years.

And roughly 20 years in between them.

Also ...... Alot of what is stated here, take with a grain of salt. Lucas also said that NO ONE will make 7-9 lol.

VicSkimmr
11.02.2012 , 02:55 PM | #102
I had a reply typed out, but then I realized that I just couldn't give a **** anymore. It makes my brain hurt and it's Friday.
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

Captain_Zone
11.02.2012 , 03:13 PM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by Spiritinblack View Post
Also ...... Alot of what is stated here, take with a grain of salt. Lucas also said that NO ONE will make 7-9 lol.
Then he got greedy. Hey, that's the real reason he made the Prequels. Greed, man!
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Macheath
11.02.2012 , 05:07 PM | #104
Then he got greedy. Hey, that's the real reason he made the Prequels. Greed, man!
I'm sure he signs a lot of deals thinking about the money first (as would we all, if we're being honest) but when you hear him talk about the prequels, it seems as though he genuinely wanted to do something ambitious.

Furthermore, it sounds like, if he had made Episodes IV-VI with today's technology, they would have looked a lot like Ep. I-III. He was always ambitious, but the technology and budget constraints (at least of the first movie) used to keep him in check; kept the original movies feeling gritty and real, focused on character and plot development instead of special effects.

The worst thing to happen to George was that his dreams came true. Suddenly he could make his vision hit the big screen exactly how he imagined, and it turns out his visions are a little too... "grandiose" for many of his fans' tastes.

-Macheath.
Remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

SNCommand
11.02.2012 , 05:20 PM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
I'm sure he signs a lot of deals thinking about the money first (as would we all, if we're being honest) but when you hear him talk about the prequels, it seems as though he genuinely wanted to do something ambitious.

Furthermore, it sounds like, if he had made Episodes IV-VI with today's technology, they would have looked a lot like Ep. I-III. He was always ambitious, but the technology and budget constraints (at least of the first movie) used to keep him in check; kept the original movies feeling gritty and real, focused on character and plot development instead of special effects.

The worst thing to happen to George was that his dreams came true. Suddenly he could make his vision hit the big screen exactly how he imagined, and it turns out his visions are a little too... "grandiose" for many of his fans' tastes.

-Macheath.
Personally I loved it, it was some of the more horrid characters (*shudder* gungans) and some really slap dashed acting that stops the prequel for me to be perfect, it was a different feel than the OT, but that was because the prequels were from a different time where the cities were bigger, the battles were larger, the conspiracies abundant. The prequels were the stuff of ancient myths and legends, the OT was more of a down to earth uprising between the time of legends
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.

mefit
11.02.2012 , 09:16 PM | #106
Only Episodes I - VI are set in stone. Everything else is.... maleable, for lack of a better term. The different levels of Canon are in place for a reason. G-Canon is the only Absolute. T and C are there to show that it was approved by Lucas, fits with the general plot of the movies, and doesn't stray too far from the spirit of Star Wars. S, and N are there to deal with discrepancies. For example, the account of the Clone Wars given in The Thrawn Trilogy was wrong, and was relegated to S-Canon as a false rumor of what really happened. Since it could be viewed that the Clones went "insane" when Order 66 was given, it had just enough credibility to stick around as an S-Canon rumor. Leland Chee has the unenviable task of making all the pieces fit as much as possible. It's hard when the puzzle keeps changing shape.
G-Canon is no longer Absolute , its now D-Canon ...........D is in Disney
George Lucas is gainfully employed in a small roll at Disney , there is no contract to be held that keeps his Rules as Law anymore.

Leland Chee no longer works for George Lucas , he is still employed by LucasFilms which is OWNED by DIsney . He can say his opinion and advise , but Disney has the FInal Say in THEIR NEW 4 Billion Dollar Property !
While George Lucas is also held by no contract and is only paid further more by his role in Lucas Films which is now under Kennedy not above . He will surely be respected but when it comes to how Disney wishes there PROPERTY to go , Disney has the Final Say not George Lucas.
Leland Chee is a Record holder of sorts , he does not make Canon or decide it over DIsney . He has NO SAY . He really had no say before as well . He went by Rules that were given to him by George Lucas and he followed them as he himself has stated manytimes . Now there are NEW RULES .

So in the end G-Canon no longer holds water , 1-6 movies will remain Canon word for word , screen for screen as the movie shows them . But things like Lucas saying "Han shot first" or "Who or What was the biggest baddest Mofo in Town " no longer do .
Disney will ultimately decide who they want as key roles character wise by how well new and old fans see them .
Luke Skywalker will likely have a new Role in the new Disney Star Wars in 7 or beyond , and if not oh well .

I love Star Wars but that goes beyond any character period , so I say bring on the new movies .

PS.........George Lucas should and shall be always remembered as the man who made StarWars , much like Stan Lee will always be remembered for Spiderman , X-men .............ect ect oh and Jack Kirby for the real Marvel Buffs.
Darth Mefit
Sith Marauder
Chiss
Shadowlands Server

mefit
11.02.2012 , 09:24 PM | #107
Sad you think that , I think George has tried to love his Creation over time and give something to the fans in a new vision he had for his Series but saddly those same fans then turned and bit the hand that fed them .
At one point after years of fans constantly attacking him and his Employees over everything they do , I am going to bet he was like "Maybe its time for someone else to deal with this , maybe someone else can bring in fresh ideas that the fans will enjoy "!

StarWars is a awesome creation of fantasy and it so happens it was worth 4Billion to someone . I do not blame Lucas and glad maybe he will finally get the time he wanted to spend it on his new Movie Ideas without the Noise of a minority of crazy StarWars fans who get nutz over "OMG YOU KILLED MY FAVORITE CHARACTER" or " OMG YOU KILLED STARWARS with JARJAR ...........ect ect ect" .

I wish you well in you adventure Lucas !
Darth Mefit
Sith Marauder
Chiss
Shadowlands Server

mefit
11.02.2012 , 09:30 PM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
But thats not gonna happen is it. Marvel started off as a comic, so the comics take precedent. Star Wars started off as a movie, so the movies are going to take precedent. Most likely this will become G-Canon, he isn't entirely out of the picture and never will be. What it will do is open up new avenues for EU, which is a good thing - if anything it will breath new life into the period of EU which doesn't really have any foundations apart from the Original trilogy, it will also tidy it up a bit, which some people may not like.
G-Canon is dead , it was a way for George to keep his word as the Reality , hes no longer in control of that . So you might as well start calling it D-Canon !

Marvel started off as a Comic , and StarWars started off as words on paper . Both started off in the heads of the creators .
Disney is going to want StarWars living and breathing beyond reruns and old stories . EU is likely to be the standard because it is likely Marvel is going to take over that section without a doubt .

Again for G-Canon is no more , George is no longer the owner and has a small role in StarWars from here out . He will always be known as the Creator but ask youself how that worked out for Stan Lee .
Darth Mefit
Sith Marauder
Chiss
Shadowlands Server

Eillack
11.02.2012 , 10:35 PM | #109
Strange...I thought it was because people kept QQ"n for more movies, got more movies, thwn QQ'd some more because Ep I-3 was made specifically to their wants and needs.

Quote: Originally Posted by mefit View Post
G-Canon is dead , it was a way for George to keep his word as the Reality , hes no longer in control of that . So you might as well start calling it D-Canon !

Marvel started off as a Comic , and StarWars started off as words on paper . Both started off in the heads of the creators .
Disney is going to want StarWars living and breathing beyond reruns and old stories . EU is likely to be the standard because it is likely Marvel is going to take over that section without a doubt .

Again for G-Canon is no more , George is no longer the owner and has a small role in StarWars from here out . He will always be known as the Creator but ask youself how that worked out for Stan Lee .
Funny because Marvel comics have been going down the drain sinse Disney got ahold of it...yet you don't see that being talked about anywhere..
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Eillack
11.02.2012 , 10:36 PM | #110
EDIT: Deleted
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.