Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Meet the Developers: Hall Hood

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Meet the Developers: Hall Hood
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Chaac
11.02.2012 , 07:43 AM | #41
Mr Hood, can we see some form of update regarding the same-gender romance questions, or at least something to do with your previous twitter posts linking to Gabe Amatangelo interview. You mention in the blog that you're a big fan of writing "companion characters, especially the ones players can romance." I would love to hear how you've found writing the SGRA's and what reasoning you had in mind when you chose to write the companions that you did.
Wedge: "I don't like this notion of dovin basal mines that pursue you."
Han: "Me, either. I'm going to draft a strongly worded letter to the Yuuzhan Vong high commander and insist he stop using them."

KyaniteD
11.02.2012 , 07:49 AM | #42
I rolled a smuggler (female) during beta because I wanted to choose a class I would least likely play when the game goes live and not spoil anything for the classes I'd play right from the start.

I had so much fun with her, that I made her my main (same looks and all) for the live game. The dialogue, especially the non-goody-two-shoes options, is hilarious. And the voice acting for it is spot-on. I was often laughing out loud and regretting that I could not record the encounters to share with my guild mates, who were all exclusively Jedi at that time.

And yes, Risha is my favorite companion, hands down, too. I love her. She and my smuggler are a dynamite duo. I wish she had more to say, I wish there was more interaction with her and I wish I'd be more involved in her companion story. I wish her companion story would continue and let me be an active part in getting her throne back.

At first, I didn't like her appearance, but in the end, I never changed her appearance. When customization for her was offered, she had been on my ship for several levels and I got to know her with her default looks. Suddenly, none of the customizations available matched the person I got to know and that's when I realized how attached I had become to her already.

Finally, I would love to complete the experience with her and also follow the romance path, but alas, as a female smuggler that's something I may never get to see with how things are looking right now. However, if we should ever get more companion story content, including for Risha, I'd be very happy already.

Thank you for a great, fun experience, and as I said, I hope there will be more Risha in my smuggler's future.
Harm no one's internal, invisible integrities. Leave others the privacies of their minds and lives. (Surak) Don't think twice before you listen to your heart, follow the trace for a new start. [...] In the eye of storm you'll see a lonely dove - the experience of survival is the key to the gravity of love. (Enigma)

Morrgans
11.02.2012 , 07:57 AM | #43
Is there a continuation of the class stories planned?
An Act IV V and VI so to speak?

Cheers
Olaf

Shoogli
11.02.2012 , 08:35 AM | #44
Yes thanks a ton Mr Hood for the smuggler character (my main is a female scoundrel, and I also rolled a male gunslinger) : I did love many many of the dialogues, they were indeed excellent !
Shoogli | Jawa Droid Designer
Do not Follow me on Twitter @NOWHERE | Dislike me on Facebook
[Do Not Contact Me] [Rules of Misconduct] [F.A.Q.] [Shoogli Tracker]

Laurreth
11.02.2012 , 09:41 AM | #45
I just wanted to thank you and everyone involved in the writing for what you've done. While parts may seem rather old-fashioned or cliché, the overall writing is consistent, fits the setting (let's be honest, the entirety of Star Wars is a bit on the cheesy side), and has some really awesome, touching to downright scarring moments.

Reading through this, I came about the "Avengers-like super story" for the first time, which I find disturbing. While it would definitely be cool to have a plot singularity where all class stories intersect and culminate into something cool, I definitely would not like them to remain unified. I do realise that unifying stories that way may be cheaper since it allows more re-use of assets, but it would be cheaper in every meaning of the word. In the end, the multitude of stories is maybe the strongest points the game has.

I have been playing a lot of class story quests together with a friend, and I always found it very interesting how genuinely intriguing things become when you miss parts of their story and re-join at a later point. Taking that away would be a huge loss. Please don't reduce the surprise and enjoyment from doing that or playing a new class, and don't cheapen the quite markable differences between characters that have been established up to this point.

veggienomad
11.02.2012 , 10:15 AM | #46
Going forward with the story, it seems like it would be necessary to build on the endings of all the class stories, since they all change the course of the war in major ways. Is there going to be a "story so far" scene to catch players up on the state of the Galaxy, or will everything be kept vague in order to minimalize spoilers for other class story arcs?
We'll always have Taris

Joronas
11.02.2012 , 10:50 AM | #47
If it becomes a combined story, how are you going to improve replayability? Currently, class quests are very good, but many of the planetary quests get a little dry the 2nd, 3rd or 4th time through? Would it be a case of every time you start the next segment, it includes references to the previous characters you brought into it (thus always making it play differently) or tied to legacy or simply static?

On a similar note, will it complete the companion quests? With only half the romances implemented and live, it really feels like companions are incomplete and just not up to the Bioware standard

Wyrmsfire
11.02.2012 , 01:55 PM | #48
I was wondering... Since you seem to draw inspiration from the movies, what are your thoughts on the recent announcement on Episode VII in 2015? Do you think that the new "untold story" contents will positively affect your work? What are your thoughts on the new episode?
Be prepared to learn and grow with the Force as your guide.
Founder: 02.19.09
THE JEDI ORDER Community ** www.jediswtor.com ** Visit our site and say hello!

Laurreth
11.02.2012 , 04:34 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Wyrmsfire View Post
Do you think that the new "untold story" contents [in Episode VII] will positively affect your work? What are your thoughts on the new episode?
Extending that question, it would also be interesting to know how creative control is split between Bioware and Lucasfilm, and if (or how) that is expected to change; but it's probably way too early to ask that.

Korusus
11.02.2012 , 04:46 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Laurreth View Post
Extending that question, it would also be interesting to know how creative control is split between Bioware and Lucasfilm, and if (or how) that is expected to change; but it's probably way too early to ask that.
He actually went into that a bit on the podcast (TORWars?) that interviewed him. Basically BioWare has a lot of creative control because they kind of carved out the era for themselves early on, but LucasArts still reads and vets everything to make sure nothing contradicts the greater lore. Who knows if that would ever change.