Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

Aurbere
11.02.2012 , 10:41 AM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
Actually it is. And since George is no longer in control, there will be a major split in Canon if or when they write a "retcon" story in movie form. It WILL become a true alternate universe. Leland Chee was tasked with making everything fit into the Canon system as much as possible. He's done a great job of it, so far. With the Disney takeover, I can see the OT, PT, and ExU becoming one universe, with the new movies becoming the true alternate universe. Remember that G-Canon is George Canon. Everything HE puts on paper or in a movie story-wise. With George no longer in control, G-Canon is only what's already done. He isn't writing the new movie. He's not directing or producing it. He will get a "Created By" credit, but that's about it. Chee will probably give the new Episodes a D-Canon rating. Disney Canon. Which won't override C-Canon, but will coexist in its own alternate reality,
^This. Please this. It would make everyone happy. We all get new Star Wars movies, but EU fans get to keep the EU.
Added Chapter 54 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Scathe
11.02.2012 , 11:14 AM | #82
I think a lot of the issue of the Post-ROTJ EU being the mess it is has to do with the fact that a good portion of it was written before the PT and the massive contradictions that were floating around in the EU don't work with that was established in the movies. Even Timothy Zahn in the Heir to the Empire 20th anniversary said that he wanted to go back and tweak his trilogy to better match the plans Lucas had done in the movies to better fit into the EU.
I am at Peace; for I know Emotion. I have Power; for I also have Knowledge. I have Passion; for I am Serene. I can embrace Mortality; for I know Death, I am balanced through the Force.

Beniboybling
11.02.2012 , 11:34 AM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by AlienEyeTX View Post
It just boggles my mind how some people act as though the Star Wars universe is real
Star Wars... isn't real! *life shatters*

Beniboybling
11.02.2012 , 11:37 AM | #84
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
John's kinda aging so he wouldn't be able to do all of the stuff Kyle does. Maybe Chuck can be the stunt double.

But, yeah, without John William's music Star Wars won't be the same. I would love to see what he can do with this new trilogy. That's gonna be the main reason I see the new movies.
Thats a point, do you think there gonna recycle the old stuff, or make new music? (Can't really remember if they made new music for prequels - think they did) New music would be cool.

And apologies for the stream of messages, it was pg 3 last time I checked.

Beniboybling
11.02.2012 , 11:44 AM | #85
Quote: Originally Posted by Emperor_Kakashi View Post
Also, it's canon, not cannon.
I think he means cannoks, you know those annoying froggy things that infest the Ebon Hawk

Beniboybling
11.02.2012 , 11:46 AM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by Samiel View Post
Honestly I have this problem with both the current post-rotj eu literature, and the proposed episodes VII-IX. It boils down to dilution. I love the classic trilogy with a firey burning passion, and I can accept the prequels as flawed as they are. However continuation into further dramatic galactic engulfing conflicts diminishes the emotional resolution I felt at the conclusion of VI. The prophecy had come full circle, Anakin Skywalker redeemed himself and finally destroyed the Sith, freedom was restored to the galaxy, Luke, Leia, Han et al lived happily ever after.....

Only they didn't in the EU: Emperor Palpatine flanged himself a ressurection, turned Luke to the darkside only to be redeemed by Leia at the eleventh hour in what was merely an inferior recycling of the whole story of his father. Someone goes on to invent the anti Jedi species with the yuuzhan vong, more wars, more death and more suffering. Han & Leia's kids aren't even spared it going on to fight suffer, fall and the whole Skywalker legacy go on to suffer yet more tragedy as they set about killing each other. Peace and resolution is never reached, It all just goes on and on ad nauseum. All the while just chipping away at that nice, cheerful and hopeful resolution we all got way back in 1983.

Now as damning as that all is I'm not against the EU. Star Wars is massively popular I get that, and when something is as massively popular someone is always going to want to sell you more of it. In addition there are some real gems in the EU body of books, shows and videogames. Heavens I wouldn't be here posting on an online game forum set in that universe if I didn't get a kick out of some elements. Doubtless some people disagree with me, and loved the Dark Empire comics or the yuuzhan vong invastion story arcs, and if you did more power to you. My above thoughts are nothing more than an opinion piece.

What gets me most is how divisive all this gets. People debate for hours and hours on points of continuity figuratively bashing themselves over the head over who knows more than who, as if it somehow proves who is the better star wars fan. Do you know what gets lost in all of this? The spirit of Star Wars, if they take the new episodes in a different direction so be it, and if that flies in the face of EU canon, that doesn't matter. If any of these stories have fired your imagination, then they have done thier job, and nobody can take that away from you. I'll watch these new films, hoping that they will fan that spark that they did when I was a kid, and perhaps more importantly ignite that spark in a whole new generation with tales of love, adventure and good vs evil. If they manage to do that I will be satisfied.

Star Wars may have "belonged" to George Lucas, and now to Disney. However the stories are ours, they belong to humanity. They are now a part of our collective unconscious and alway will be, and no one can own that. People talk a lot of continuity, but interestingly the emotional component is often alluded to, but never addressed. That lovely resolution of a story well told way back in RotJ, and the incredibly important emotional dimension it held for me has never been dampened, if something came along that "contradicted" that feeling it simply failed to resonate, and never joined the constellation of bright stars that burned in my mind of stories that I cherish. This has nothing to do with "facts" about the Star Wars universe or anything as pedestrian as "canon". I hope in time more people come to realize this, and allow Star Wars to inspire.
^^This - I agree with you completely.

Aurbere
11.02.2012 , 11:48 AM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
Thats a point, do you think there gonna recycle the old stuff, or make new music? (Can't really remember if they made new music for prequels - think they did) New music would be cool.

They really should make new music. Maybe use a few of the older pieces. Pieces that are in pretty much every movie should continue to do so. John had to start from scratch for the Prequels, creating new music for the characters, plot points, and planets. So he shouldn't have too much trouble making new music for the new movies.
Added Chapter 54 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

VicSkimmr
11.02.2012 , 11:49 AM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post

The soundtrack from the prequel trilogy was the best part about it. We got Duel of the Fates out of it!

Come on now
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

Beniboybling
11.02.2012 , 11:51 AM | #89
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
They really should make new music. Maybe use a few of the older pieces. Pieces that are in pretty much every movie should continue to do so. John had to start from scratch for the Prequels, creating new music for the characters, plot points, and planets. So he shouldn't have too much trouble making new music for the new movies.
I do hope so, the music he makes is amazing - I look forward to a whole new world to fall in love with all over again.

Quote:
The soundtrack from the prequel trilogy was the best part about it. We got Duel of the Fates out of it!

Come on now
Oh yes of course, its all coming back now. dah daaaaaah dah dah dah, daah daaaaaaah dah dah dah love that one

Captain_Zone
11.02.2012 , 11:56 AM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post

Come on now
John Williams is Star Wars Music. If it wasn't for John Williams' music, the Prequels would have been completely unwatchable.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.