Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Flashpoints with companions

Anysao
11.02.2012 , 06:25 AM | #21
Sounds like a fun idea. It should require unlocking atleast 3 companions via storyline (excluding HK-51).

I'd love to fight Malgus with Kira, Doc, T7, and I.
Ooh! In WildStar, I get double jumps, path choices, and massive PvP! That sounds cool, but one question, where do I get a lightsaber?
I will never take someone who says "EAware" seriously.
You cannot escape the Moonbanger!The Ebon Hawk Starfighter Enthusiast.

Darth_Taral
11.02.2012 , 06:55 AM | #22
I'm thinking that a compromise here might be to make doing a HM FP with three companions possible, but make it significantly more difficult and with a reduced payout. Where if the three companions are just geared in what they wore to get to L50 then you'll get wiped early and often. Everyone would need Tionese or higher to even have a chance (possible downside: increasing the number of people clicking Need to gear their companion, which is unacceptable).

One element that automatically increases the difficulty is the fact that, if you die, it's a wipe. In normal HM FPs, if you die, the others can finish the match and you respawn, and might even be able to revive you mid-fight. But that wouldn't be possible in a Solo FP.

FINNT
11.02.2012 , 07:13 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Macheath View Post
It's really tiring to hear the "solo player" ask for more MMO content geared towards them, as if anything at all should be catered towards the solo player; as if the player who only likes to solo has any right to demand anything in a game specifically tailored to be a massive multiplayer online experience.

Every aspect of an MMO should encourage meaningful player interaction. Every. Aspect. That's what (should) define a (good) MMO. That's why we call these games MMOGs, and not "multiplayer-supported single player games."

-Macheath.
Well this MMOG caters to single players also and very well. I don't know but multiple companions in flashpoint should not take many hours from developers and multiplayer improvements.
:laser:

Twickers
11.02.2012 , 07:21 AM | #24
The issue with using only companions is that quite a few fights require doing more than standing there with carpel tunnel syndrome going *pewpewpew* guess it might be fine for the player to be doing any button pressing but if a fight requires taking cover, good freaking luck getting the companions to actually get behind cover.

I would absolutely love to see solo instances with companions that would allow you to interact and talk with them during the FP, of course rewards would have to be reduced (maybe companion gifts, crew skill materials or just a big handful of credits) but it could definitely be fun.

But there are FP's that can be soloed with just a companion and yourself, all it takes is gear.
The loneliest people are the KINDEST, the saddest people smile the BRIGHTEST, the most damaged people are the WISEST, ALL because they do not wish to see another soul suffer the same way they did. - Author Unknown

AshlaBoga
11.02.2012 , 07:24 AM | #25
I've lost track of the amount of times someone has left, gone afk or DC'd and we've finished a flashpoint with a companion or two. Two manning a flashpoint with companions is fine as long as you have decent presence and gear.

Before you say something like "yeah, but you can't two man HM LI" well no, I can't, but my GM did (that guy is freaking insane).
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

mentalmackem
11.02.2012 , 07:38 AM | #26
They should add more content in for companions yes maybe some new smaller instances but i dont think they should do it with existing instances specially not Hard modes, the only flashpoint thats even a challenge now is Lost Island HM, the rest have been dumbed down so much u can do it with your eyes closed, the game is easy enough as it is.

Xenirath
11.02.2012 , 07:48 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by sutava View Post
Yes they are, just as much as they are designed for grouping. This game was designed to let people solo if they wish. Stop force your narrow minded beliefs on others.

That can happen without being a group.
MMO- Massively Multiplayer Online Game

Nothing about Massively Multiplayer spells solo to be, in fact this game encourages grouping up from 1-50 while leveling even. Increased Xp, better drop rates, heroic 2+ and 4's.

And as far me "forcing my believes" I never said he couldn't play solo I just said he shouldn't expect the game to be redesigned for him so he should make due with what he has and maybe make some good friends while doing it. I still talk to people I met from other MMOs that don't play this game and have many friends in Real Life and Online that I met without using facebook.
The Three Topics Better Not Discussed Online:
1)Religion
2)Politics
3)Which Videogames are Better

MarkBruno
11.02.2012 , 08:27 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Xenirath View Post
MMO- Massively Multiplayer Online Game

Nothing about Massively Multiplayer spells solo to be, in fact this game encourages grouping up from 1-50 while leveling even. Increased Xp, better drop rates, heroic 2+ and 4's.
It also doesn't need to specifically refer to playing with other people. I'm all for parallel play in MMOs, a form of play where folks play alongside each other. There's nothing that mandates your only social interactions with other players has to come from grouping. I personally love playing alongside others while maintaining social ties through chat channels and the like.

Quote: Originally Posted by Xenirath View Post
And as far me "forcing my believes" I never said he couldn't play solo I just said he shouldn't expect the game to be redesigned for him ...
Who said anything about redesigning the entire game to cater specifically to solo players? Why not have an option to choose between running an FP solo with a companion or with a full group? Having such a system in place does nothing to diminish your enjoyment of the game. It's not like it's going to take folks out of the pool of potential group members, because most people who enjoy soloing probably wouldn't group with you anyway.

FINNT
11.02.2012 , 09:00 AM | #29
Post above is good.

This game encourages grouping, but it should not punish soloing. There is no point for Bioware to try (as some suggest) alienate and harass single players from game that has extensive solo content.

And as I said before, suggested change ("Flashpoints with companions") wouldn't probably take much of time. Maybe just the change that you can call more companions when you are already in an group instance.
:laser:

Master-Nala
11.02.2012 , 09:10 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Revan-the-knight View Post
Id rather have Specific Companion Flashpoints where its you and your entire crew with unique rewards, maybe companion specific gear? instead of having "solo mode" for existing flashpoints
That would be really nice if the flashpoint dropped gear specifically for companions. Great idea. As for the OP's idea, I wouldn't mind it. There is no basis for the rewards to be different IMO if the difficulty is the same but you are stuck with companion (lack of) AI. Personally, I would just rather use human companions. Much less obedient, but more potential.