Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

LordHartigan
11.02.2012 , 07:30 AM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by Emperor_Kakashi View Post

I agree with this, and don't really see any reason why this won't be the case. It's not like they're replacing all the LucasFilm staff, the only real changes are the fact that Disney now gets money from the Star Wars universe, and George Lucas has retired. I really don't expect that they'll just ignore all that's been done.
I don't think they will be that concerned with complying with the EU in the new trilogy. What us fanboys forget when it comes to things like this is that we're a pretty small group of people and when a company makes a movie they want to be able to make money on it which means appealing to audience bigger than just us fanboys. It means appealing to audience we are a mere fraction of. Working on coforming to EU continuity just so it works for that fraction is not going to be a high priority. Continuity will be sacraficed in the name of appealing to as many people as possible if necessary.

Emperor_Kakashi
11.02.2012 , 07:38 AM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by LordHartigan View Post
I don't think they will be that concerned with complying with the EU in the new trilogy. What us fanboys forget when it comes to things like this is that we're a pretty small group of people and when a company makes a movie they want to be able to make money on it which means appealing to audience bigger than just us fanboys. It means appealing to audience we are a mere fraction of. Working on coforming to EU continuity just so it works for that fraction is not going to be a high priority. Continuity will be sacraficed in the name of appealing to as many people as possible if necessary.
Although if they do follow EU, they'll gain that audience and get the potential praise and approval of the fans. I'm hoping they see it this way, at least. I would expect they'd have someone like Leland Chee giving advice during the writing of the movie, and he's well aware of the EU events.

jfirestone
11.02.2012 , 08:57 AM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by TrakonBazzaak View Post
I never said they should make it how I would like it done. Love him or hate him, it should be done how george wants it done, and if hes too old and crotchety it shouldnt get done. Period.

Disney is going to repaint the mona lisa, of course people are up in arms you freaking melvin.
lol melvin, you're funny

why so serious?

LordHartigan
11.02.2012 , 09:02 AM | #74
Although if they do follow EU, they'll gain that audience and get the potential praise and approval of the fans. I'm hoping they see it this way, at least. I would expect they'd have someone like Leland Chee giving advice during the writing of the movie, and he's well aware of the EU events.
I'm hopeful/expecting at least some easter eggs. They could certainly show Thrawn in the background or give him a line or two reporting to someone. Other characters we'd want to see more screen time like Mara Jade and I'm not sure that will happen which is a bummer cause there's certainly lot's of potential there.

Beniboybling
11.02.2012 , 09:04 AM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by mefit View Post
Most likely EU will become the STANDARD and the films will be put in the back when it comes to Canon , like how it is for DC and Marvel .
To be honest , it might not happen today or anyday soon but it won't be long before Marvel takes over the Comic side of EU .
I really Doubt Disney is going to outsource EU Comics to another Company when they own one of the Two Comic Power Houses ...........Marvel ! This does not mean Marvel will do it better or worse , that will be yet to be seen . I think Darkhorse did a good Job in my opinion !

So its not a coffin , but it might be a rewrite of the EU Lore and Story.
As I said before , Luke being married to Mara Jade is likely now the TOP Canon now ! To be honest this is the reason I am happy Lucas is out the way , now the series can grow and G-Canon will no longer stop it !
But thats not gonna happen is it. Marvel started off as a comic, so the comics take precedent. Star Wars started off as a movie, so the movies are going to take precedent. Most likely this will become G-Canon, he isn't entirely out of the picture and never will be. What it will do is open up new avenues for EU, which is a good thing - if anything it will breath new life into the period of EU which doesn't really have any foundations apart from the Original trilogy, it will also tidy it up a bit, which some people may not like.

jarjarloves
11.02.2012 , 09:04 AM | #76
The audience of the EU is really really small compared to the whole Star Wars audience. Like less then 1%.

The Thrawn trilogy is a great book probably the best of the whole EU BUT it would make a horrible movie. It's not very cinimatic, a lot happens in it, and there is way too many scenes where they are just talking to get across major plot points.

If they made it into the movie it would either be really boring or leave out a LOT of stuff.

It would be better for a HBO series.

Beniboybling
11.02.2012 , 09:12 AM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by Sweetiepies View Post
Not so much a nail in the coffin, but a kick to the side.

The current "established" (I use established as loosely as I can) post ROTJ cannon is just not a matter of cannon anymore. It is now just a different set of stories. Like how in Marvel you have the Age of Apocalypse timeline, and the Days of the Futures Past timeline, and The Ultimate universe. It doesn't remove those books from existence, it just makes them their own "timeline".
I agree, from what I know of the post-ROTJ EU - it seems a bit of a mess. There must be hundreds and hundreds of stories from hundreds of different writers all trying to get a slice of the Star Wars universe. Of course some are better than others, e.g. The Thrawn Trilogy, but some of this stuff needs to be swept aside so writers have a cleaner slate to work from.

Emperor_Kakashi
11.02.2012 , 09:22 AM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by LordHartigan View Post
I'm hopeful/expecting at least some easter eggs. They could certainly show Thrawn in the background or give him a line or two reporting to someone. Other characters we'd want to see more screen time like Mara Jade and I'm not sure that will happen which is a bummer cause there's certainly lot's of potential there.
I was under the impression it was more likely going to be set during Luke being succeeded by the next generation. But it would be good to see some of the other characters.

Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
The audience of the EU is really really small compared to the whole Star Wars audience. Like less then 1%.
True, and most of the EU audience will end up watching the movie, no matter what they have against it.

Quote:
The Thrawn trilogy is a great book probably the best of the whole EU BUT it would make a horrible movie. It's not very cinimatic, a lot happens in it, and there is way too many scenes where they are just talking to get across major plot points.
This I disagree with, although Thrawn was probably one of the greatest and most original antagonists in the Star Wars universe. The rest I agree with.

Sweetiepies
11.02.2012 , 10:27 AM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by TrakonBazzaak View Post
Whats that supposed to mean big guy?

Im not allowed to be passionate about something?

I think you and others like you will find you are in the minority when it comes to star wars fandom.
I think it's pretty clear what it is supposed to mean. I could spell it out for you if need be. The things you typed were a bit north of passionate. You are the very reason why mentioning that you really like Star Wars is usually met with dismissal and eye-rolls.

Also no, most fans of Star Wars are like me. Rational. Passionate is one thing. Needing Klonopin because of it is another.

Captain_Zone
11.02.2012 , 10:38 AM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by xxIncubixx View Post
nah its not, he will never base his movie on something that was written by some random author, the true canon are the movies. You can choose to believe that rest is also canon but thats your choice. Fact is the new movies wont be based at all on the EU, and i even doubt there will be any mentions.
Actually it is. And since George is no longer in control, there will be a major split in Canon if or when they write a "retcon" story in movie form. It WILL become a true alternate universe. Leland Chee was tasked with making everything fit into the Canon system as much as possible. He's done a great job of it, so far. With the Disney takeover, I can see the OT, PT, and ExU becoming one universe, with the new movies becoming the true alternate universe. Remember that G-Canon is George Canon. Everything HE puts on paper or in a movie story-wise. With George no longer in control, G-Canon is only what's already done. He isn't writing the new movie. He's not directing or producing it. He will get a "Created By" credit, but that's about it. Chee will probably give the new Episodes a D-Canon rating. Disney Canon. Which won't override C-Canon, but will coexist in its own alternate reality,
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.