Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Endar Spire On Taris? Really?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
Endar Spire On Taris? Really?

Jacen_Starsolo
11.01.2012 , 10:07 PM | #1
I was installing Windows 8 on my new hard drive today. So while it was installing, I powered up KotOR. And had to start from the beginning since the 360 had no saves on it. All the saves on the old school Xbox.

Anyhow when Revan and Carth hit the escape pod, something happened that I really forgot about. I guess the writers of TOR forgot too. The Spire EXPLODED. So question is... what's that wreck that looks like it just crashed on Taris 300 years later, Bioware? It can't be the ship that blew up into more pieces than Alderaan did in the original Star Wars movie.

Atma
11.01.2012 , 10:08 PM | #2
Retcon.
Prophecy of the Five
Covu Terryk - 55 Sith Juggernaut

Uluain
11.01.2012 , 10:12 PM | #3
KOTOR also shows nothing that looks like a planet-wide bombardment. Chalk it up to the limitations of the available animation at the time.

Xenirath
11.01.2012 , 10:16 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
KOTOR also shows nothing that looks like a planet-wide bombardment. Chalk it up to the limitations of the available animation at the time.
Wait, you mean besides seeing the entire sith fleet turbo lasering taris into rubble? Or the fact than in Davik's hangar the building is crumbling around you?

As for the endar spire, it sploded but that doesn't mean it disentigrated. But back then you didn't have the graphical capabilities to show 100s of pieces of a starship falling planetside
The Three Topics Better Not Discussed Online:
1)Religion
2)Politics
3)Which Videogames are Better

Jacen_Starsolo
11.01.2012 , 10:18 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Xenirath View Post
Wait, you mean besides seeing the entire sith fleet turbo lasering taris into rubble? Or the fact than in Davik's hangar the building is crumbling around you?

As for the endar spire, it sploded but that doesn't mean it disentigrated. But back then you didn't have the graphical capabilities to show 100s of pieces of a starship falling planetside
You see the big red ball of gas it was turned into. Watch the scene again. That can not be the big chunk of ship we see on Taris in this game how that explosion happened. It was bigger than the ship itself as there was nothing of the ship to see in that explosion.

Xenirath
11.01.2012 , 10:23 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Jacen_Starsolo View Post
You see the big red ball of gas it was turned into. Watch the scene again.
I know what you are saying, but think about this. The ship itself is much much larger than that small fraction on taris. If you want a reason its there imaging one of those offshoots of orange is debris. Alternative you try seeing a 300 by 300 meter piece of hull in space at approximately 50 miles.

Perspective is a funny thing, you know an Aircraft carrier? A space cruiser is like 20 times larger at least.
1)Religion
2)Politics

Spinikar
11.01.2012 , 10:33 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Xenirath View Post
I know what you are saying, but think about this. The ship itself is much much larger than that small fraction on taris. If you want a reason its there imaging one of those offshoots of orange is debris. Alternative you try seeing a 300 by 300 meter piece of hull in space at approximately 50 miles.

Perspective is a funny thing, you know an Aircraft carrier? A space cruiser is like 20 times larger at least.
I don't think it actually is. When you look at the same ship on Balmorra, its the same size as whats on Taris, so to me, it looks the devs made the whole ship as part of the Tarisian landscape.

I agree with the original point made. The Endar Spire exploded, and explosions don't usually leave whole sections of ships in tact, not to mention re-entry and crashing through layers of the city above before reaching the bottom. Would kinda leave it a little damaged

Its a small thing and not something I would worry about. Just a small oversight.
"Revan was power. It was like staring into the heart of the Force. Even then, you could see the Jedi he would slay etched on his soul."
419 Empire Guild Leader
spinikar@419guild.com

Xenirath
11.01.2012 , 10:45 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Spinikar View Post
I don't think it actually is. When you look at the same ship on Balmorra, its the same size as whats on Taris, so to me, it looks the devs made the whole ship as part of the Tarisian landscape.

I agree with the original point made. The Endar Spire exploded, and explosions don't usually leave whole sections of ships in tact, not to mention re-entry and crashing through layers of the city above before reaching the bottom. Would kinda leave it a little damaged

Its a small thing and not something I would worry about. Just a small oversight.
Meh, either way it doesn't matter to me. But remember kotor is old old oldy old. They only really had 2d sprites for explosions.
1)Religion
2)Politics

Darth_Urtani
11.01.2012 , 11:59 PM | #9
Yeah, and? Nothing in Kotor mattered or, depending and what you did, happened. Everything is retconned.
(One of the reasons I don't take TOR seriously, and avoid anything that will ruin KOTOR for me, I've been playing since beta and I still haven't bothered to play the Revan mission.
CE VIP

Kualan
11.02.2012 , 12:26 AM | #10
It is a retcon, plain and simple. For the price of having the Endar Spire shot down rather than atomised, we get a nifty little quest full of nostalgic music and references that strengthens the link between TOR's story and KOTOR's. Fair trade I would say.
Stannis - Jedi Guardian - Level 50 : Sarella - Imperial Sniper - Level 50
Kastrofa - Gunslinger - Level 50 : V'lorn - Sith Juggernaut - Level 50
Nyna - Jedi Sentinel - Level 50 : Melondi - Jedi Shadow - Level 50
Tremarck - Imperial Operative - Level 50 : Kualan - Republic Vanguard - Level 22