Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Information Request: Crashing to Desktop

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Information Request: Crashing to Desktop
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Gandorion
11.01.2012 , 10:13 PM | #11
I am too having systematic crashes:
  1. Server Name
    Jedi Covenant
  2. Name of character(s) affected.
    Nysseln
    Ferryss
  3. Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often?
    -1/3 times at startup right after the launcher
    - several times when using transports
    - systematically when trying to navigate to a class mission location for "Ferryss" (that character is stuck in ts progression now)
  4. Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc.
    - Class mission (Consular) "Distress Call" for my character "Ferryss" when trying to navigate to the ship Carrida from the galaxy map:
    - I can click on the galaxy region
    - when I click on the space station icon I get to the screen where the "travel now" button is
    - when I get there the screen is frozen no button or key stroke responds
    - This happens before it shows the model of the ship, like if it was falling to load the scene.
    - soon after I get back to the desktop with crash report etc.

- This may not be related but it started happening around the same time (past few days)
    - I have been unable to use datacrons with my character "Nysseln". I get the mouse over information but it is impossible to activate any datacron
    - I frequently get a pinkish/red gradient screen instead of the character selection screen at startup (1/2 time). When I Alt-Tab away, I can sometimes see the real screen underneath right before it returns to the descktop. (It looks like if the a back buffer was never put forward)

- Most of the time I have Google Chrome running in the background and nothing else.

- It happened with a few weeks old NVIDIA drivers as well as the latest
  5. Your DXDiag in spoiler tags
    Spoiler
  6. Your reliability report in spoiler tags
    Spoiler
  7. I confirm that's a crash

Kyneris
11.01.2012 , 11:31 PM | #12
Nice to see an official post/thread on this issues, here's my information:

1. Tomb of Freedon Nadd.
2. All characters.
3. Crashes every 90-180 minutes. The more loading screens I encounter, the closer my game gets to crashing. However, the game will inevitably crash even when no loading screens beyond the initial one to get into the game are encountered. (Like idling on the Fleet or just levelling on a planet.)
4. The game can crash at any time. Examples: During combat with a pack of mobs, while watching a cutscene/conversation, staring at a loading screen, browsing the GTN.
5. DxDiag:
Spoiler

6. I checked the Event Viewer on Windows XP, but I did not see any entries for SWTOR.exe or anything else related to the game.
7. Whenever a crash occurs, the sound stutters for 2-3 seconds, the screen freezes and *poof*, back to the desktop, no error message, no warnings, nothing.
"Should we arrive at certainty without doubt and truth without error, it behooves us to place the foundations of knowledge in mathematics." - Roger Bacon
This is Vireth Danea, my Sith OC, and this is her story thus far.

Photoc
11.02.2012 , 01:17 PM | #13
Can't get around the 50k character limit with my dxdiag, lol Unable to post it, any ideas other than cut it in half and post twice

1. Harbiner
2. All characters on my account
3/4 Crashes once every 1-2 hours consistently. Game freezes for a few seconds then off to the desktop we go. Happens during combat, world loading, coversations, vendor trading, you name it.
5. PART 1 DXDiag
Spoiler

Spoiler

7. Straight crash to desktop, no error messages.

Photoc
11.02.2012 , 01:30 PM | #14
5. DXDiag Part 2, went over character 50k cap, had to split it

Spoiler

Added a second issue of part 6.

Spoiler

Bethykins
11.02.2012 , 08:12 PM | #15
Name of server. Master Dar'Nala
Name of character(s) affected: All
Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often: Every 40-90 minutes
Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc:
In particular the Belsavis planet loading screen but I have had it happen in warzones, traveling, in quests, in flashpoints
Your DXDiag in spoiler tags
Spoiler

Your reliability report in spoiler tags
For Windows 7 / Vista:
Description
Spoiler

Please specify that this is indeed a crash to desktop, not a disconnect to server select screen or a logout to character select: The only errors I can find for SWTOR are for the couple of game freezes I had. There have however been multiple crashes to desktop where suddenly the game will close very quickly with no error message or warning.

Lanuria
11.03.2012 , 05:26 PM | #16
  1. Server: Ebon Hawk
  2. Characters: All (Mainly Obisen, Jal'qabil, Geviana)
  3. Frequency: Crashing every 2.5-3 hours regardless of what I am doing. I do a lot of RP and it'll crash while I'm just standing around a cantina or even during dailies/flashpoints etc. Before I crash, I'll lag a bit and then it just goes straight to desktop. I have Chrome and AIM running in the background.

DxDiag
Spoiler

7. Reliability Report
Spoiler

Yes, this is indeed a crash to desktop. I will lag for a moment and I am returned to my desktop and SWTOR is no longer running.

threetg
11.04.2012 , 02:58 AM | #17
1.Name of server: Harbinger
2.Name of character(s) affected: Santg (haven't tired other characters
3.Frequency of crashing – how many crashes, how often? every 3 to 5 minutes which is making game play almost impossible
4.Any potentially helpful information about crash triggers, what you are doing before a crash, etc. Its crashing everywhere I am regardless of mission or pvp
Spoiler

Spoiler

I should mention it was perfectly fine until a few hours ago when the crash to desktop started. Up unitl that time I had no issues with crashing at all. It's not disconnecting me either. After the desktop crash, I click on SWTOR and it brings me right back into what I was doing (usually dead though since I get killed during the screen loads).

Arcturus-
11.04.2012 , 10:55 PM | #18
I have notice this in the last few weeks. Happening on all my toons. I am running Windows 7 Professional, Top of the line Nvidia card on an Alien Ware Monster. I am on Harbinger. Lvl 36 Bounty Hunter is the latest sets of crashes.. I have had 3 crashes to desk top within the last four hours. The latest time was on Taris-Bunker 78, about to speak to an NPC to finish a mission. I experience at least 3 crashes within a given time period (4 hours normally).
This has started up in the last 2-3 weeks. Getting the point where I am seriously considering leaving the game with what seems like an ever ncreasing amount of trouble and unstable game platform. Being a IT -tech kind of guy, I do appreciate the enormous programming and "glitch" finding missions the developers have to contend with, but it is, in my humble opinion getting worse not better.
Love the game-Buuttt!
Thanks for all your help.

Darshanna
11.05.2012 , 12:49 AM | #19
1. All English PVE - latest: The Shadowlands.
2. All characters - latest: Dh'mel
3. Lately it's three to four times a day after about two to three hours play (t's shortened from four to six hours) and it's every day.
4. Anywhere, it's non-specific: on the fleet; middle of quest - class or otherwise; flashpoint; space combat; latest is talking to npc.

5. DxDiag
Spoiler

6. This is the last dated reliability report but it's 3 Nov 12 AEDT ; no reports are showing for 4 & 5 Nov AEDT

Spoiler

7. Crashing to Desktop has only been happening since the 1.4 patch. Had no problems at all before then.

Curiously enough when I've been levelling two new characters on the PTS over the past 3 or 4 days - for a heap of hours on each - I don't get the problems experienced above.

Keeper_Anthony
11.06.2012 , 10:20 AM | #20
Prophecy of The Five - All Characters

After Crash I receive "Patcher Service Temporarily Unavailable"

This all began after argument in General Chat, a violent place to say the least, so just curious are there more safety concerns than the game we should be concerned about?