Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

TrakonBazzaak
11.01.2012 , 06:06 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Sweetiepies View Post
Wow, chemical imbalance prevails again.
Whats that supposed to mean big guy?

Im not allowed to be passionate about something?

I think you and others like you will find you are in the minority when it comes to star wars fandom.
It may be nobody wants to be heroes except when it doesn't count, when it isn't challenging, that people would rather fight "pretend evil" than the real thing, but I don't personally believe that. I still think people are better than that.
Raph Koster

maxetius
11.01.2012 , 06:25 PM | #52
repainting mona lisa? rofl... the movies were not that great.

GnatB
11.01.2012 , 06:58 PM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by maxetius View Post
repainting mona lisa? rofl... the movies were not that great.
Neither is the Mona Lisa

SuperGrunt
11.01.2012 , 07:26 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by LordPorkins View Post
Just to answer some points some people have made....

This discussion isn't about whether books are better than films as an art medium. They have different strengths and weaknesses. However when one is adapted from the other, the new art form tends to be weaker. In other words, films of books tend to be inferior to books, and vice versa.

In the case of Star Wars, the reason it was so big was because it did something on the cinema screen that no other movie had done at that time. Audiences were wowed and captured by a new cinematic experience.

The books and spin offs comics that followed were not groundbreaking in any way because they were not produced by a visionary or creative genius the way the films were. They were mediocre books that would not appear on a single 'must read' list, unless you were a star wars fan starved of new star wars material.

The expanded universe is weak because of this. There is nothing unusual or remarkable about it.

I actually agree that the expanded universe is only going to expand as a result of the new films. New films means new spin offs.

But the inspiration, and what captures the imagination about Star Wars is what appears on the cinema screen, no one got into Star Wars from reading the books.
You sir need to learn that while you are entitled to your own opinion it isn't a fact, nor is it shared by everyone in the world. If you feel that the books where garbage, fine feel that way if you so desire, but don't presume to tell people that those books are making the rest of the EU weaker. While I might agree with some of your points in regards to some of the books, some others where must reads, in my eyes, and there must be some people that felt the same way as quite a few have received Best Seller honors.

Quite frankly, some of the biggest plot holes in either Star Wars came about because of the movies. If you recall in The Empire Strikes Back, Yoda told Obi Wan about Leia, but in Revenge of the Sith Obi Wan was there when she was born, and held her in her arms. There where only 18 years between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, yet Obi Wan a who couldn't have been much more than 30 in Revenge of the Sith, looks well into his 50, or 60's (Alec Guinness (19142000) he was 63 when A New Hope was released in 1977) in A New Hope, did someone forget to mention to George Lucas that Jedi age slower than normal people, and Sith are the ones who age faster?
Healing, damage, tanking, it doesn't matter. I do it all. I have been doing it while winning in PVP since Beta.
My propsed changes to Loot Rules.

MooseRamshackel
11.01.2012 , 08:11 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by Ycoga View Post
You trolling?
i dont think so just severly handicapped

mefit
11.01.2012 , 09:27 PM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by TrakonBazzaak View Post
I never said they should make it how I would like it done. Love him or hate him, it should be done how george wants it done, and if hes too old and crotchety it shouldnt get done. Period.

Disney is going to repaint the mona lisa, of course people are up in arms you freaking melvin.
Disney is going to take what Lucas ruined with EP1-3 and possibly bring it back to the original vision Lucas had but lost because of his change of life and thought as we all go through as we get older .

George Lucas = William Shatner (" One is a Creator/Director and the other is a Actor , and both will only be known for what they built or helped build and they both begin with "STAR" )
George Lucas wanted to be known for more than StarWars but didn't realise that a good amount of people would begin to have fantasies of living in his world called "StarWars" . They he began to treat it like something he had to not only protect from other writers and artist , but he would have to protect from its Fan Base .
He created Canons and then belittled the none Movie Canons with stories that kept his Movies in the Light for all too see .

Now he sold the Company Lucasfilms and all that came with it including the creation called "StarWars" ! He no longer has the right to judge or belittle work that others put into this series legally by his own agreement and now further more that his agreement is no longer valid .
If Jim Lee would have been like Lucas ............................... I shutter to the thought of all the good stories I would have missed out on and while I am not a Big Fan of all the Marvel Movies , I am still very happy they are there .

I seen you belittle Marvel in a earlier post , well Marvel has been around 3times longer than StarWars and most of us were not just stuck to StarWars , some of us needed more stories and novels that continued past that of a Selfish creator who refused to allow his own CREATION to grow past him without belittling what kept it alive .

Disney makes movies , while you might not like them they have been around longer than Lucas and have had a impact on more lives than StarWars .I liked Tron , sorry you didn't ! I liked the Pirates Series , sorry you didn't .................well the door is that way ------------------->

Personally I am happy for this transfer of ownership , it will mean a fresh new generation of movies and fans , plus a breathing series that will have fresh new stories and no longer the dreaded G-Canon that called EU trash..........I enjoyed the EU and was very happy that I could enjoy the Comics , Novels , and Games !

George Lucas will always be the Creator of StarWars and to be honest I wish he would have kept it but allowed it to grow under him without his constant input of how EU wasn't important . Some of the writers of EU were better than he was and have brought more to the StarWars Brand that he was , being he was constantly trying to be looked at as a Great Director / Writer / Studio President , that made use of some great ideas that we see in most films of today.

Alot of us know hes more than StarWars , only the crazies cannot look past it .
Darth Mefit
Sith Marauder
Chiss
Shadowlands Server

mefit
11.01.2012 , 09:32 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by TrakonBazzaak View Post
Whats that supposed to mean big guy?

Im not allowed to be passionate about something?

I think you and others like you will find you are in the minority when it comes to star wars fandom.
I think you will find out that you are in the Minority of StarWars Fans .
You see alot of us want a Living Growing Universe , not one that has a Owner Creator saying that all works/Stories before and after the movies don't count............................

Alot of us are finally getting what we been wanting for 35 years ...........MORE MOVIES , fresh and new !

But again a Majority of us do not live in the films , but we sure do love to visit often and even vacation in the EU for the summer ..........................
Darth Mefit
Sith Marauder
Chiss
Shadowlands Server

Scathe
11.01.2012 , 09:58 PM | #58
So what? The Thrawn books were sub-par and mediocre when they are arguably the best continuation of the post ROTJ-EU that has been written so far? Keep in mind I haven't read the X-Wing series yet, they don't have any in stock at my local book store, and tracking them down online is a royal pain in the ***. But really, looks look at the good book series and stand-alones for a moment that happened Post ROTJ.

The Thrawn Trilogy, The Jedi Academy Trilogy (Where Luke has to track down and establish an entirely new Jedi Order from scratch. I could do without Daala, to be honest, but the trilogy was enjoyable), The Hand of Thrawn Duology, Survivor's quest,The Dark Tide Duology (my absolute favorite Yuuzhan Vong book pair), The Edge of Victory Duology, and Star by Star (Arguably one of the saddest moments in the EU when Anakin dies. I cried.)

I haven't included the books past this since I haven't read them yet and I don't want to talk about them without a clear understanding of what they entail or of their writing style. It wouldn't be fair to say that I hated Dark Knight Rises when I haven't even really seen it yet. So I reserve judgement until I can read the books past the points in my list. And I realize that this is MY list, and some people may not agree with me. Hell, they may add Children of the Jedi or Darksaber to their "Must read" list, I'll disagree, but we'll leave it at that.

These books are all on my "Must Read" list, simply because the writing is gripping, the stories are very well thought out and written, and they are actually fun to read. They translate as awesome Post-ROTJ extensions and I don't see any reason to say that they don't deserve to expand on the Universe already established. The whole point of the Expanded Universe is to do exactly what it has been doing: Expand the Universe of Star Wars.

So I guess what I really want to ask is this: Why can we not want stories to continue on after ROTJ ends in the form of books? Why is it so wrong to enjoy what authors have been doing to the Universe we all love and want to learn more about? Personally, the movies didn't expand on anything as far as the Lore goes for me. The most expansion that we, the audience, are shown in the movies and even in the TV series, is the exploration of the Jedi Order and of the Force.

So again I ask: Why can we not enjoy the Post-ROTJ EU, which brings more life to the characters and helps Luke, Han and Leia continue their adventures when the actors could not? Why is it Mediocre? What makes it so horrible?
I am at Peace; for I know Emotion. I have Power; for I also have Knowledge. I have Passion; for I am Serene. I can embrace Mortality; for I know Death, I am balanced through the Force.

Captain_Zone
11.02.2012 , 01:38 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
I have always preferred EU workings to the films, the attention to detail and background is far greater than anything you can translate to screen.
^This. I hope that they are BSing about the whole "all new story" deal and go with something established in the Expanded Universe already. The Thrawn Trilogy would be a great choice. To say that the ExU doesn't put out good stories is like saying that George Lucas writes great dialogue. It's just not true.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Captain_Zone
11.02.2012 , 01:42 AM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Don't forget Kyle Katarn. He's probably going to get scrapped too. Unless they get Chuck Norris to play as Kyle in EP. 7.
Chuck Norris wishes he was Kyle Katarn. Hugh Jackman would do a better job of it, imo.
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.