Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

LordHartigan
11.01.2012 , 02:38 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
But if they don't want to recast, the big 3's age and shape is a problem.
Relax. It's not going to be a reboot.

Wulox
11.01.2012 , 02:41 PM | #42
I'm interested in how they are going to carry the story of the films on. I always saw them as the rise and fall of anakin skywalker/darth vadar, and with him out of the picture I really don't get what they are going to do for the films.

Eillack
11.01.2012 , 03:01 PM | #43
As long as they make it so no recasts at all occur, I will be less dissapointed...and hopefully some EU aspects thrown in like Disney's version of the Marvel Universe has been (ex: The "life model" easter egg and many others)
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

LordHartigan
11.01.2012 , 03:19 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Wulox View Post
I'm interested in how they are going to carry the story of the films on. I always saw them as the rise and fall of anakin skywalker/darth vadar, and with him out of the picture I really don't get what they are going to do for the films.
That does worry me as well and has always made me wonder because Lucas has said he always had ideas for 7-9 long ago. Just makes you realy wonder how it all went together in his head. Did it all just get crunched down so that how it ends in 6 is how it was really supposed to end in 9. But then I saw that interview where he mentions he gave the treatements for 7-9 to Disney and that's what the new films are going to be at least loosely based on. It's just hard to imagine any plot having the weight of 1-6. The best I can think of would be Luke establishing a Jedi Acedemy and some type of internal struggle with it.

Sweetiepies
11.01.2012 , 03:43 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by TrakonBazzaak View Post
If they do a reboot of this franchise, I will cut the rebel insignia tattoo on my arm off with a razor blade dipped in malice and hatred.

I will also never give another cent of my money to Disney, or any other affiliated businesses.

This isnt some Marvel crap storyline written by some hack writer paid in booze and heroin. This is a 30 year legacy. This is a major part of the worlds sci fi mythos. For many Star Wars is a religion.

REboot this series?

You need to put down the crackpipe sir.

PS: Star Trek wasnt rebooted. The new movie depicted an alternate timeline. I guess you fell asleep from boredom by the point in the movie that you learn that.
Wow, chemical imbalance prevails again.

chuixupu
11.01.2012 , 03:45 PM | #46
It's not going to be a nail in the coffin by any means. It just means there will be yet even more EU books in the future.

Even in these recent interviews, Lucas has made a point to mention that they have a wealth of books, comics, games and TV shows out there to consider. He's also praised some of the EU books quite a bit . Mostly, however, he just wants to believe they are separate parallel universes. Going forward, I doubt they'd adapt EU books to movies, but I don't think they'll outright disregard and bury them knowing how popular they are with fans. With Lucas relinquishing control to a degree, you never know.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

OldRepJedi
11.01.2012 , 04:52 PM | #47
People just don't get it. Anything that has been published is "canon". It all had to be signed off by the bearded one. So if it has been published, created, played on a console, viewed on Cartoon Central, it is considered canon in the Star Wars Universe. I personally have loved a lot of the books that have come out of the EU. Some of them p***** me off (re: the death of Mara Jade), but on the whole, they have some really talented writers that have written a lot of the books. My favorites were Timothy Zahn's. He was highly perturbed when they killed Mara Jade also. Not what he envisioned for her when he created her character. But on the whole, the EU books have given me over 20 years worth of reading. Some good, some not so good depending on the writer. Oh yeah, and to those who think that books are a lower art form than film making, get an imagination. I get more out of books than I do out of any movie. It is a shame that the younger generation has lost their imaginations. They are all for immediate gratification and what they can get out of a 2 hour movie. It's a shame. Writing is the ultimate art form. It takes a trully creative person to put into writing what they invision for others to read and get substance out of.

Reboot of Star Wars-No. Nail in the coffin of the EU-I don't think so. A new adventure in a galaxy far, far away-waiting with bated breath.

LordPorkins
11.01.2012 , 04:55 PM | #48
Just to answer some points some people have made....

This discussion isn't about whether books are better than films as an art medium. They have different strengths and weaknesses. However when one is adapted from the other, the new art form tends to be weaker. In other words, films of books tend to be inferior to books, and vice versa.

In the case of Star Wars, the reason it was so big was because it did something on the cinema screen that no other movie had done at that time. Audiences were wowed and captured by a new cinematic experience.

The books and spin offs comics that followed were not groundbreaking in any way because they were not produced by a visionary or creative genius the way the films were. They were mediocre books that would not appear on a single 'must read' list, unless you were a star wars fan starved of new star wars material.

The expanded universe is weak because of this. There is nothing unusual or remarkable about it.

I actually agree that the expanded universe is only going to expand as a result of the new films. New films means new spin offs.

But the inspiration, and what captures the imagination about Star Wars is what appears on the cinema screen, no one got into Star Wars from reading the books.

jarjarloves
11.01.2012 , 05:12 PM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by LordPorkins View Post

The expanded universe is weak because of this. There is nothing unusual or remarkable about it.

I actually agree that the expanded universe is only going to expand as a result of the new films. New films means new spin offs.

But the inspiration, and what captures the imagination about Star Wars is what appears on the cinema screen, no one got into Star Wars from reading the books.
exactly they are going to still release a whole slew of new comics and books to support this new Post ROTJ EU. I am also calling it that we are going to see a reverse of the Avengers

Where we get the new trilogy and then new movie spin offs based around the new characters telling smaller stories. So we will be getting some years where we get 2 star wars movies. It would be like getting one about an adventure that centers around Luke and one that centers around Han in the same year. Of course it will be with the new characters.

TrakonBazzaak
11.01.2012 , 06:01 PM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by jfirestone View Post
Ah ha, here's the problem...

No wonder so many are acting like someone peed in their Cheerio's this morning.

Lucas is terrible and Disney sucks!!! They need to make Star Wars how I want it done!!!

Silly hardcores
I never said they should make it how I would like it done. Love him or hate him, it should be done how george wants it done, and if hes too old and crotchety it shouldnt get done. Period.

Disney is going to repaint the mona lisa, of course people are up in arms you freaking melvin.
It may be nobody wants to be heroes except when it doesn't count, when it isn't challenging, that people would rather fight "pretend evil" than the real thing, but I don't personally believe that. I still think people are better than that.
Raph Koster