Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Thankfully, a nail in the coffin of the EU

LordHartigan
11.01.2012 , 11:30 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Anishor View Post
Hopefully they do the Heir to the Empire storyline, it is the only storyline in post RoTJ that would have the same mass appeal as the orginal. I personally would love to see some books based on the X-wing series but that would do better as a TV show IMO.
Would be cool, but the intial report is the new trilogy won't be based on anything currently in print post EP VI.

SuperGrunt
11.01.2012 , 11:44 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
there is a point where you have given too much information

This is that point

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Glove_of_Darth_Vader

an entire book about Darth Vader's Glove
Have you read the book, or just seen the title of it on the wiki and decided everything you "need" to know about it?
Healing, damage, tanking, it doesn't matter. I do it all. I have been doing it while winning in PVP since Beta.
My propsed changes to Loot Rules.

Wolfninjajedi
11.01.2012 , 12:07 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by jarjarloves View Post
there is a point where you have given too much information

This is that point

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Glove_of_Darth_Vader

an entire book about Darth Vader's Glove
Hey now, Vader's glove is just that awesome.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Wolfninjajedi
11.01.2012 , 12:09 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Don't forget Kyle Katarn. He's probably going to get scrapped too. Unless they get Chuck Norris to play as Kyle in EP. 7.
I think you mean John Williams, because John Williams is represented as Kyle Katarn remember...its one of his many facts. Of course...thinking on that now, if they don't have John Williams do the Star Wars music for 7 then it won't really be Star Wars.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Aurbere
11.01.2012 , 12:13 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
I think you mean John Williams, because John Williams is represented as Kyle Katarn remember...its one of his many facts. Of course...thinking on that now, if they don't have John Williams do the Star Wars music for 7 then it won't really be Star Wars.
John's kinda aging so he wouldn't be able to do all of the stuff Kyle does. Maybe Chuck can be the stunt double.

But, yeah, without John William's music Star Wars won't be the same. I would love to see what he can do with this new trilogy. That's gonna be the main reason I see the new movies.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"My ultimate goal is the secret of life-that life that gives us consciousness, for without consciousness each of us is nothing. Through science, i will create new life and sustain my own. There is no reason Darth Plagueis could not live forever."

JimG
11.01.2012 , 12:17 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by LordPorkins View Post
The franchise needs a proper reboot, like they achieved with Star Trek, not re-animating second class literature.
While I agree that they shouldn't just copy a post-ROTJ story from the EU....and I never really expected them to do that anyway....there IS some really good stuff out there in the EU. Some of this stuff has worked it's way into the films too. For example, Zahn created Coruscant which Lucas then used for Episodes 1-3. Aayla Secura was also an EU creation that Lucas then used in his movies. On the Clone Wars TV Series, Lucas has used characters that were developed through the EU such as Asajj Ventress. There are other characters like Quinlan Vos and Aurra Sing that had extremely minor appearances in the movies but have had a big development in the EU and Lucas used them in the Clone Wars TV series as well. So there is some stuff in the EU that Lucas has incorporated into his work. Therefore, I think labeling the entire EU as second-rate garbage to be tossed aside is incorrect.

I don't think we're going to see a true reboot here at all, other than recasting characters like Luke, Han and Leia (some characters like Chewie, R2 and C3PO can be easily re-used without casting problems). They aren't going to re-do any of the stories from the first 6 movies and they aren't going to change the history that was established in those movies. So I wouldn't compare it to Star Trek or Batman, in that regard. They are doing Episode 7 which is a continuation of the existing stories....not a re-doing of them. While they won't just be copying a storyline from the EU, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some extremely popular characters from the EU make appearances such as Thrawn and Mara Jade. Frankly, those are such great characters, it would be silly not to incorporate them somehow.

An original storyline, though, makes tremendous sense as one of the things that made Episodes 1-3 so stale is that they were telling a story that we already knew, somewhat. There were many things forced into those movies just to keep in line with that had been mentioned about the past in Episodes 4-6. So there was no real opportunity to get creative with the stories. Just copying an EU storyline would fall into this same trap. I'm pretty excited to see where they take the story and what sort of creative ideas they bring to life....but I'm sure we'll see some incorporation of EU characters, planets, etc. Keep in mind, the head of Disney made it a point to say that Disney was buying the entire SW universe with all of its characters, planets, etc. They are well-aware of the appeal of the EU.

MasterMe
11.01.2012 , 01:10 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by JimG View Post
While I agree that they shouldn't just copy a post-ROTJ story from the EU....and I never really expected them to do that anyway....there IS some really good stuff out there in the EU. Some of this stuff has worked it's way into the films too. For example, Zahn created Coruscant which Lucas then used for Episodes 1-3. Aayla Secura was also an EU creation that Lucas then used in his movies. On the Clone Wars TV Series, Lucas has used characters that were developed through the EU such as Asajj Ventress. There are other characters like Quinlan Vos and Aurra Sing that had extremely minor appearances in the movies but have had a big development in the EU and Lucas used them in the Clone Wars TV series as well. So there is some stuff in the EU that Lucas has incorporated into his work. Therefore, I think labeling the entire EU as second-rate garbage to be tossed aside is incorrect.

I don't think we're going to see a true reboot here at all, other than recasting characters like Luke, Han and Leia (some characters like Chewie, R2 and C3PO can be easily re-used without casting problems). They aren't going to re-do any of the stories from the first 6 movies and they aren't going to change the history that was established in those movies. So I wouldn't compare it to Star Trek or Batman, in that regard. They are doing Episode 7 which is a continuation of the existing stories....not a re-doing of them. While they won't just be copying a storyline from the EU, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some extremely popular characters from the EU make appearances such as Thrawn and Mara Jade. Frankly, those are such great characters, it would be silly not to incorporate them somehow.

An original storyline, though, makes tremendous sense as one of the things that made Episodes 1-3 so stale is that they were telling a story that we already knew, somewhat. There were many things forced into those movies just to keep in line with that had been mentioned about the past in Episodes 4-6. So there was no real opportunity to get creative with the stories. Just copying an EU storyline would fall into this same trap. I'm pretty excited to see where they take the story and what sort of creative ideas they bring to life....but I'm sure we'll see some incorporation of EU characters, planets, etc. Keep in mind, the head of Disney made it a point to say that Disney was buying the entire SW universe with all of its characters, planets, etc. They are well-aware of the appeal of the EU.
^^^^This

TrakonBazzaak
11.01.2012 , 01:51 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by LordPorkins View Post
It seems Disney intends to take forward Episode 7 with a new storyline. I think this is good news, there will be less of a feeling that a dead horse is being flogged, and hopefully not too many geriatric ex- star wars actors turning up.

Although I can see Mark Hamill coming back as the new Obi Wan Kenobi role.

What is also good news, is that the ridiculous post ROTJ books will not be made into films. Star Wars is the films, for better or for worse, and devaluing the product to make more money by releasing all these books and comics, is a sad reality of the modern world. We don't need to compound this by turning them into films.

The franchise needs a proper reboot, like they achieved with Star Trek, not re-animating second class literature.
If they do a reboot of this franchise, I will cut the rebel insignia tattoo on my arm off with a razor blade dipped in malice and hatred.

I will also never give another cent of my money to Disney, or any other affiliated businesses.

This isnt some Marvel crap storyline written by some hack writer paid in booze and heroin. This is a 30 year legacy. This is a major part of the worlds sci fi mythos. For many Star Wars is a religion.

REboot this series?

You need to put down the crackpipe sir.

PS: Star Trek wasnt rebooted. The new movie depicted an alternate timeline. I guess you fell asleep from boredom by the point in the movie that you learn that.
It may be nobody wants to be heroes except when it doesn't count, when it isn't challenging, that people would rather fight "pretend evil" than the real thing, but I don't personally believe that. I still think people are better than that.
Raph Koster

Slowpokeking
11.01.2012 , 02:22 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by JimG View Post

But if they don't want to recast, the big 3's age and shape is a problem.

jfirestone
11.01.2012 , 02:24 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by TrakonBazzaak View Post

For many Star Wars is a religion.
Ah ha, here's the problem...

No wonder so many are acting like someone peed in their Cheerio's this morning.

Lucas is terrible and Disney sucks!!! They need to make Star Wars how I want it done!!!

Silly hardcores