Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Technical Changes in Game Update 1.5

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Technical Changes in Game Update 1.5
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Syart
10.31.2012 , 04:01 PM | #141
I already love the worlds, this adds an extra bit of beauty It looks great and I hope we see it live in game soon. Thank you
Control, passion, diligence: these three principles shape your world.

Lord Scourge: To repeat a mistake and expect a beneficial outcome is a sign of insanity.

Omophorus
10.31.2012 , 09:19 PM | #142
Quote: Originally Posted by JarekCyphus View Post
Ok, except that's not what was promised. My only concern is a "drop in performance." I was hit like everyone else in 1.4. While I get faster framerates, the camera hitches and stutters all over the place, despite my FRAPS benchmarking a 60 +/- 5 fps rate. The hitching makes it feel like it stutters +/- 20 fps. If 1.5's shader update breaks it further, I'm afraid this game could be headed for quite a tumultuous F2P launch.
Except that it is.

I quoted the developer blog post.

I turned on the new shadows with a pair of 5870s in CrossFire (which previously ran the game absolutely flawlessly at 1920x1200 with everything jacked up), and instead of the increased performance as promised, I got an unplayable stuttery lagfest with FPS no better than 10 FPS (a drop of over 100) when moving the camera or my character.

Which is exactly how things continue to be, as the only patch that was implemented may have had some benefit for SLI users, but none whatsoever for CrossFire.

Cupelixx
10.31.2012 , 09:36 PM | #143
Quote: Originally Posted by Harvengure View Post
However, to devote the time and energy to do the 'little' things like this shows that you guys care about your players and the worlds you've created for us to play in.
I'd rather they worked on 'little things' like the hood clipping bug that has existed since 1.2 and has yet to be fixed.
Please un-break Slicing lockbox missions.

nartiuslightlord
10.31.2012 , 09:43 PM | #144
Great Work Ben!
CE VIP

SWTOR Episode I - A New Meme
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNDaG7YqaV4

Ismercu
11.01.2012 , 12:22 AM | #145
There was a similar update with 1.4 who brought very bad performance problems including low FPS and stuttering for alot of people also including crashing and texture glitches that are still not resolved right now. Make sure you test your patches appropriately before you implement them.

icecoldneon
11.01.2012 , 07:52 AM | #146
Its looks great and im looking forward to it. But would yall fix the FPS issues everyone is having first before upping the graphics?? I love SWTOR but the FPS issue is really making the game hard to enjoy and play.
"Cry Havoc, and Let Slip The Dogs Of War"

Kickimanjaro
11.01.2012 , 12:11 PM | #147
I really appreciated how he explained Shaders and showed side-by-side comparisons of his work. I had heard people mention the term Shaders a lot before, but I never really understood what it meant and I feel that now I understand it better.

Thanks, and the translucent foliage does look amazing.

- Kickimanjaro

deags
11.02.2012 , 07:33 AM | #148
Oh yeah the trees like a little better great...., how bout you get to things people really want and have been asking for since freaking launch like a ready check...
Vors, sith assassin of Guild Grievance
www.grievanceguild.com

ChrisMattar
11.02.2012 , 08:04 AM | #149
I am glad to see little improvements to the game and improvements at all, this is one of the most fun games and best MMO in my opinion with the best days to come. Don't know why people got discouraged so early, with so much potential it can only be amazing in the years to come and people will flock back.
I'm sure the devs are also working on multiple different things at the same time to please gamers.

That being said I only worry about one thing and that is the hero engine. I'm afraid this might be the only problem going forward, I do not share the negative view of the past. its normal for gamers to leave in mass today most if not all games experience this then go back up.

What I'd like to know is whether it is even possible to change the engine in the future, I see hero is slowing down progress that can otherwise be made on the game. One such thing is the improved fps you were working on, but when seeing how jittery NPCs are at a distance it point to a graphic cheat or gimmick rather than a fix, this is a little worrisome imo as it tells me there are no final solutions with Hero but only patches so to speak.

Again can and will the Hero engine be replaced in the future?

Jobeleca
11.02.2012 , 09:39 AM | #150
Thank you Ben! This is an absolutely wonderful update, and a perfect match for when my new video card is delivered next week so that I can take advantage of it
To bathe a cat takes brute force, perservance, courage of conviction - and a cat.
The last ingredient is usually hardest to come by.
- Stephen Baker