Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Pax's Server-Wide 3-v-3 Team Tournament Oct 27th

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Server Forums > The Ebon Hawk
Pax's Server-Wide 3-v-3 Team Tournament Oct 27th

DarthBror
10.31.2012 , 03:19 PM | #61
There wont be a restriction on sets. The idea would be to use whatever recruit gear is the best.. Like for me. Force master belt and bracers, but mystics helm chest and boots.

As sindol states.. there is a lot of skill, time, and dedication involved in Min/Maxing your gear. That should of course be rewarded and given a platform to be showcased. We will keep doing the no limits tournaments for that reason.

Its never going to be perfect. The idea is to even the playing feild at a point where we can have maximum attendance. Recruit gear is available to everyone, on day one, of hitting 50.

@Sindol.
Dont tell me you couldnt still melt the face of some fresh 50 if you were both in recruit gear. I call BS on that. True there are some classes that would be slightly handicapped. But I doubt its more that 1-2% of a diff. But class knowlegde, spec and rotations are a much bigger factor. Im sorry if you dont want to attend a tourny like this. I really think you are one of the best Gaurdian on the server, and would provide a valuable measure
MORT: Ganster of Love
PAXIMPERIUS
Website | Recruitment Thread

AsiriusNazriel
10.31.2012 , 03:23 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by Sindol View Post
What a lot of people don't realize though is that there is a lot of skill involved in the way a lot of us gear our characters. We study, research, and test different stats and gear to see what works the best. I probably would not compete in a Recruit Gear only tournament simply because it's a little silly. Taking people out of their armor is pointless in my opinion. Might as well have a tournament with no armor. Especially since the way some of the recruit gear is made automatically will put certain classes at a disadvantage.

Just food for thought. A recruit gear tournament will not accurately display skill vs. skill because some of the recruit gear sets for certain classes/specs are better than others.
While that may be true, because I decked out my Marauder, there are plenty of casual players and people who are new to 50. I would hate to be considered good only for my gear and recruit gear evens the gap.

Yes a tournament with no armor is actually a great idea. The point is to even the playing field to be skill-based, not gear-based.
Pax Imperius & Pax Dominus
Arash a.k.a. "Chuck Norris of PVP"

DarthBror
10.31.2012 , 03:40 PM | #63
@sindol.

Srry for the miss type. Sentinal / guradian.

I get the 2 confused sometimes as I really dont have a pub toon. (in name, not function)

I edited the post tho.
MORT: Ganster of Love
PAXIMPERIUS
Website | Recruitment Thread

NadirPalo
10.31.2012 , 04:03 PM | #64
I and some fellow Rubats have discussed a recruit tourney before and we think its a fabulous idea. I'll definitely try to get a team or two together and I think you'll see overall higher participation from the PVP community.

I have to say, though, that what's silly is arguing on this forum about the meaning of the word "skill," and letting that deter anyone from participation. Nobody's gonna get a title "Most Skilled PVPer on The Ebon Hawk" from this, so drop it. I am just really interested (and I don't think I'm the only one) to see how things play out when the minmaxed WH-vs-anything else gear gap is removed and I think there will be some really fun fights. Additionally, this format allows people who either have alts who aren't super geared or don't have the time/desire to minmax their gear but still love competitive PVP to participate. Maybe this is a bummer to a few players who've spent a lot of time on their gear but it's better for the PVP community as a whole.

Can I suggest a reduced or no entry fee, since alot of us didn't keep that crap gear and will need to buy it again? Haha... I know I'm not the only one!

<3,
Nads

minervasunrider
10.31.2012 , 07:01 PM | #65
[nerd] On recruit gear stats: I've noticed a lot of the pieces tend to have too much crit, not enough power, and too much accuracy/alacrity, not enough surge (or shield for tanks, I guess). If some classes' gear is better itemized than others, it can be a problem (I have no idea since I've never looked comprehensively). Most egregiously, classes that are based on auto-crit damage have no use for crit rating (or a lot less crit rating). They would suffer in recruit gear for sure. There's also the weird way in which certain specs intersect well with certain gear stats. For instance, a lot of PTs/VGs probably lose DPS if they go into the top of the pyro/assault trees, but that assumes they have a certain amount of aim unattainable in unaugmented recruit gear. This is the kind of thing Sindol is talking about. [/nerd]

From a purely practical perspective, i'm sure a lot of long-time PvPers don't want to shell out for a recruit set, having never had to own one (I'd use myself as an example). It costs what, 320K?
The Ebon Hawk | The Athena Legacy | <Game Genie> | <Empire>

Sindol
10.31.2012 , 07:15 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by minervasunrider View Post
[nerd] On recruit gear stats: I've noticed a lot of the pieces tend to have too much crit, not enough power, and too much accuracy/alacrity, not enough surge (or shield for tanks, I guess). If some classes' gear is better itemized than others, it can be a problem (I have no idea since I've never looked comprehensively). Most egregiously, classes that are based on auto-crit damage have no use for crit rating (or a lot less crit rating). They would suffer in recruit gear for sure. There's also the weird way in which certain specs intersect well with certain gear stats. For instance, a lot of PTs/VGs probably lose DPS if they go into the top of the pyro/assault trees, but that assumes they have a certain amount of aim unattainable in unaugmented recruit gear. This is the kind of thing Sindol is talking about. [/nerd]

From a purely practical perspective, i'm sure a lot of long-time PvPers don't want to shell out for a recruit set, having never had to own one (I'd use myself as an example). It costs what, 320K?
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Certain specs/play styles for classes don't mesh well with the given stats for Recruit gear. It won't close the gap or even slightly tip the scale in terms of making the match more about skill. The only thing it's going to do is cripple certain play styles and force people to wear gear that doesn't compliment their particular spec because recruit gear cannot be modified.

So like I said if you're clearly looking for something that is purely based on skill you might as well not wear armor, but even then it comes down to who has the better weapon(s).

Everyone has time to min/max, some people just don't have the patience to do it. If you play the game at least 8-10 hours a week, you've got time to min/max your gear. It's just about using your time wisely and determining how much you care. If you're a casual player and don't really care that much then I can tell you already that your mentality alone already sets you apart from the majority of the people that participated in the last 3v3 tournament.

Tournaments, Arena, Ranked War Zones, etc... All of these things are not suitable for the casual mindset. I'm not trying to be rude or say that being casual is a bad thing, I'm just saying that these people will always be at a disadvantage in comparison to all you wackos that participated in the last 3v3.
Sindol Level 55 Shadow Sinfany Level 55 Vanguard Lodnis Level 55 Juggernaut Kyndol Level 55 Assassin
Sindol Level 55 Guardian Kharr Level 55 Commando Sinistrid Level 55 Sentinel

alexsamma
10.31.2012 , 07:24 PM | #67
I think Sindol and Athena make good points, and neither of them have even mentioned the lack of set bonuses and how this would affect rotations and play styles and rotations.

I think we should set up a competition and let the under-geared players (and the ones who are willing to spend ~320k on gear) have at it, but I'm not sure that this would actually eliminate any gear imbalances (it might create new ones).

I may not participate, but I would definitely show up to cheer everyone on.

Sindol
10.31.2012 , 08:19 PM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by alexsamma View Post
I think Sindol and Athena make good points, and neither of them have even mentioned the lack of set bonuses and how this would affect rotations and play styles and rotations.

I think we should set up a competition and let the under-geared players (and the ones who are willing to spend ~320k on gear) have at it, but I'm not sure that this would actually eliminate any gear imbalances (it might create new ones).

I may not participate, but I would definitely show up to cheer everyone on.
Yep. My thoughts exactly. I'll gladly show up and cheer everyone on. I just don't see myself participating.
Sindol Level 55 Shadow Sinfany Level 55 Vanguard Lodnis Level 55 Juggernaut Kyndol Level 55 Assassin
Sindol Level 55 Guardian Kharr Level 55 Commando Sinistrid Level 55 Sentinel