Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Dovahbrah
10.31.2012 , 02:02 PM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
lol - and that was a stupid thing for BW to do in the first place. isn't it universally agreed that the buff to focus was uncalled for? now name one other AC that has 3 excellent pvp specs. your exception proves the rule.
Focus was still viable before the buff, the buff just made it moron-proof. The spec is almost as easy as pyro PT now.

All I'm saying is, if one class can have 3 viable trees, then either BW needs to nerf the one class or buff all the others, as it's not fair otherwise. I could argue that VG/PT and Guardian/Jugg have 3 viable trees as well, but not to the level of marauders/sents.
Leaf - 50 Commando - The Fatman Notleaf - 50 Juggernaught - POT5
Leafe - 50 Shadow - The Fatman
Leafy - 50 Vanguard - The Fatman
Leafyy - 50 Sentinel - The Fatman

Savej
10.31.2012 , 02:05 PM | #62
Focus wasn't good in pve and many/most guardians/sents had stopped using it in pvp.

Larry_Dallas
10.31.2012 , 02:07 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by Phasersablaze View Post
Oh no no no no no you didn't just bring "30m" into this! Don't ruin your credibility so early man. That's laughable and not even worth explaining. If you don't already understand the problem then get out and pvp a little more.

No sorry. I-win button is called 6k AE SMASH! Merc have pretty sub-par burst (whish is just one of their many problems which need fixing). Zach is right. As long as bioware acts like smash specs are ok, then they are the standard. And if someone can leap into a pack of guys and autocrit for multiple targets for 6k every 11 seconds when I have trouble getting 5k on a single target we have a problem.
If you don't understand how range can be used to any ranged class's advantage (though, admittedly, mercs are the worst at this), then you're bad and no change that can be made will make you not bad.

AsiriusNazriel
10.31.2012 , 03:05 PM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by Dovahbrah View Post
If Marauders/Sent can have all 3 of their trees viable in PvP, then the other ACs should have all of their trees viable as well.
Yes.

Quote: Originally Posted by Dovahbrah View Post
Focus was still viable before the buff, the buff just made it moron-proof. The spec is almost as easy as pyro PT now.

All I'm saying is, if one class can have 3 viable trees, then either BW needs to nerf the one class or buff all the others, as it's not fair otherwise. I could argue that VG/PT and Guardian/Jugg have 3 viable trees as well, but not to the level of marauders/sents.
Yes. I could argue that Carnage is still squishy and that Rage is idiot proof. Yes we get it, Marauders have huge epeens. Next?
Pax Imperius & Pax Dominus
Arash a.k.a. "Chuck Norris of PVP"

Theodulus
10.31.2012 , 03:45 PM | #65
Wow the answer from the dev is so underwhelming. It's like they don't even play the game. Other classes do pillar humping far better than merc/commandos. If there was a permanent passive hold the line ability for merc commandos then maybe they would have a fighting chance humping pillars.

Essence_of_Light
10.31.2012 , 03:56 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Hi everyone! I talked to Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) about Commandos and Mercenaries and their situation in PvP right now, and he had this to say:

I think it's fair to say that Mercenaries and Commandos have escape issues. Admittedly, they can be very hard to catch when used correctly to hug corners, but a lot of that "escapability" falls aside when attacked by multiple melee enemies, at which point they just aren't quite tough enough to sustain without further escapes. We have plans for the future that should give Mercenaries and Commandos better escapes in PvP.
BW: "We have plans for the future that should give Mercenaries and Commandos better escapes in PvP."
*5-7 months later*
BW: "Dear loyal fans, only 1 more month till the adjustments for Mercs and Commandos come out!"
Me: You serious? -_-
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

Dovahbrah
10.31.2012 , 04:01 PM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by Essence_of_Light View Post
BW: "We have plans for the future that should give Mercenaries and Commandos better escapes in PvP."
*5-7 months later*
BW: "Dear loyal fans, only 1 more month till the adjustments for Mercs and Commandos come out!"
Me: You serious? -_-
Yeah.. would be nice to have some sort of timetable. Is the soon actually soon, or is it a Blizzard type of soon? Any type of details would be nice. Hopefully a Dev actually conjures up the ambition to parse a couple of the merc threads on this forum, like this one, for good ideas to fix the class.

As someone else said already, help us to help you. As far as PvP goes, the best PvP'rs in this game know how to play it better than the Devs do, and they know how to make it better also.
Leaf - 50 Commando - The Fatman Notleaf - 50 Juggernaught - POT5
Leafe - 50 Shadow - The Fatman
Leafy - 50 Vanguard - The Fatman
Leafyy - 50 Sentinel - The Fatman

xxIncubixx
10.31.2012 , 04:52 PM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by AsiriusNazriel View Post
Everything should be balanced for giving Mercs the tools to be a ranged class and maintain range, while giving melee and 10m specs a chance at killing them. You don't want to have a situation where Mercs become the kings of kiting and are untouchable, becoming the new FOTM class. Balance is key here. Balance is about addressing the turret nature of the Arsenal spec, the damage of Mercs is fine.
u mean snipers?

instead of making charged bolts instant i would make tech overrid, which is useless at its current state, to cast abilities instantly for the next 10 seconds, instead of only one, worst high lvl skill ever, laughable at best.

Doomsdaycomes
10.31.2012 , 06:19 PM | #69
Woot, glad to hear something is in the works, even if it takes the next 3 months.

So far I've been hearing good ideas from most of the thread. As both a Merc and Commando player (and having played all 3 specs) I agree almost completely with a mix of most changes proposed. I'll high light a few.

1.) Jetpack Disengage/Grav Retreat: Something to move us back 10-15 meters after a Lol-jumper bounces on us. On a side thought, perhaps an interceed ability like a Guardian. Would give us mobility, an escape, and something to bring to team in Huttball. Atm, the only worse carrier for a huttball is maybe a sniper... and they get leap immunity!

2.) Unintteruptable Unload: Idc if procc'ed or unprocc'ed, plenty of classes already have an unitteruptable channel. If other classes must intterupt something, save it for our off-heals, grav round, or plasma grenade.

3. Instant Powershot. I'd put this in the Pyro/Assault spec, it's the only spec that really needs it. Atm it's better to just hammer shot then it is to powershot.

4. Get rid of our crappy self heal and give us some utility/defensive CD. Gravity Field/Flame Defense that makes us immune to jumps and pulls for 5 seconds, on a decent CD? (60-90 seconds), Maybe Coordination/Light'em-Up! That gives the team a damage boost? Something to make teams want a Commando/Merc.

5. That root in the arsenel/gunnery tree needs to go. Put it as a KB, or a slow (Leg break maybe?) or add something new in entirely. (Perhaps a 50% chance to refresh the disengage/escape skill?)

Of course not all of these, whatever the dev's feel best. I don't want the Merc up in the Fotm category, just... useful.

HybridCode
10.31.2012 , 07:14 PM | #70
Yes "escapeability" is a problem. However, so is the damage for Assault. Vanguards have two instant abilities to proc HIB, causing them to proc them far more often. I have both a Commando and a Vanguard. By my trial I proc HIB approximately 25% more often with my Vanguard, and that's not including the Commando being interrupted or utterly annihilated in the process of casting.

As far as escapes. If you were to add a speed boost after the successful root or have the knockback on top of the root, this issue would probably be resolved. Or maybe even having a "hold the line' ability on a successful root.

Please don't ignore the dps problem though.