Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Do you support a Mac OS X client in Star Wars the Old Republic?

Beslley
10.04.2012 , 10:18 PM | #761
I don't think mac users would enjoy this buggy, broken game.
<Death and Taxes>
Prophecy of the Five

Beslley - dps sorc | Arenatah - snoipah | Nef'arian - dps op | Alexstraza - slinger
KHEM VAL IS MY COPILOT

noodlehaus
10.05.2012 , 11:09 PM | #762
last nail for me just landed.

turns out GW2 has a beta Mac client. so I got Diablo 3, WoW and GW2 on my imac 27" 2011 with Mac OS X. GW2 being only 2 months in. I got all the gaming needs covered

MindTooth
10.09.2012 , 04:51 PM | #763
I would really like to see the game have a client for OS X. Seeing ArenaNet is doing it for Guild Wars 2, I'm pretty sure BioWare can do one for Star Wars: The old Republic as well.

And I'm pretty sure the game would see an increase in players, since there is many fan of Star Wars on the Mac-platform. But I might have it all wrong.

All in all, the Mac is not here to die quite yet.

Metalmac
10.09.2012 , 06:04 PM | #764
Quote: Originally Posted by Jacen_Starsolo View Post
If they do, they need to make a Linux client too.

And while they are at that, why not make a OS/2 client

Heck, go for broke and make a DOS client.

People say it's a hassle from doing Bootcamp for just this game, they should get a PC for just this game and deal with it or stay Bootcamped. Nobody put a gun to their heads to make them buy those Macs, right?

How about all the things made for iPhones become available for Android, Apple? And Bioware has some IPhone stuff not on Android last I checked.
I am a retired IT worker and worked with MS mostly.

The Mac can do things that are just not possible to do even in Windows 7.
Added to that is the fact that I can steal Linux stuff and run it on my Mac in OS X.

Now what is the advantage?
Free well done apps that do not cost a fortune to fix or get help.
Most popular apps were in Linux first not MS Windows. Sorry to burst your bubble but this is just a fact.

Doccc
10.29.2012 , 04:23 PM | #765
Osx +9999

Voemel
10.31.2012 , 11:57 AM | #766
Now that the game is about to go F2P, they may need to rethink the need for a Mac client. The reason there are so many apps for iOS is that the people who own Apple products are proven to spend more money on apps. They typically have more disposable income, are a younger demographic, and are extremely loyal. EA could invest some in the Mac client in order to access this market. I believe it could be pretty profitable for them.

Or maybe not.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Just thinking out loud here.

BrunoLogan
10.31.2012 , 12:09 PM | #767
Quote: Originally Posted by Voemel View Post
Now that the game is about to go F2P, they may need to rethink the need for a Mac client. The reason there are so many apps for iOS is that the people who own Apple products are proven to spend more money on apps. They typically have more disposable income, are a younger demographic, and are extremely loyal. EA could invest some in the Mac client in order to access this market. I believe it could be pretty profitable for them.

Or maybe not.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Just thinking out loud here.
Honestly, I lost hope for a Mac client of this game. After all the layoffs and the change to free to play, I don't believe BW will have enough staff and money to make an OS X client. I ended up buying a desktop PC with the parts I wanted and cheaper than any desktop Mac with specs anywhere near. Don't get me wrong, I love Macs and I have one but for gaming specwise they are a pathetic. Maybe you can game decently on the high end iMac during the first months but you're stuck with a machine where you can't upgrade the most important computer part for games: the GPU.

Cheers!

Chub
10.31.2012 , 12:41 PM | #768
Although I'm not against it I would personally rather the development team focused on improving the game and adding new content/features rather than focusing on getting the game to run on Mac OSX. I originally had just an iMac, but after my new found hobby for PC gaming I decided to get a Windows computer aswell.

So I'm not against it at this moment in time, but I think possibly when it comes to the game being F2P then I think yes Bioware would benefit from having a mac client.

iHumanist
11.16.2012 , 10:21 PM | #769
Quote: Originally Posted by BrunoLogan View Post
Honestly, I lost hope for a Mac client of this game. After all the layoffs and the change to free to play, I don't believe BW will have enough staff and money to make an OS X client. I ended up buying a desktop PC with the parts I wanted and cheaper than any desktop Mac with specs anywhere near. Don't get me wrong, I love Macs and I have one but for gaming specwise they are a pathetic. Maybe you can game decently on the high end iMac during the first months but you're stuck with a machine where you can't upgrade the most important computer part for games: the GPU.

Cheers!
True that...

I bought an iMac for my parents at Xmas last year for just over 2k, and it has an Intel 2.5 Ghz CPU, 4 GB of RAM, and a Radeon 6750M GPU. I built myself a PC for just under 1k and it has 32 GB of RAM, an AMD 4.0 Ghz processor, and a GeForce GTX 570 HD GPU. It make a no sense to buy a Mac for the gaming.

That being said, I still support a Mac client for SW:TOR.

Sindorin
11.16.2012 , 10:29 PM | #770
Yes. LoTRO and now GW2 have it. Need it to be competitive. It's also good PR.