Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dramatically low framerate/stuttering

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Dramatically low framerate/stuttering
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

RG_Thor
10.27.2012 , 12:18 PM | #1
Dear Bioware,

I understand that you guys are very busy and short staffed, thus my in-game ticket hasn't been answered in two weeks, so I wished to post my issue here for player or forum moderator help.

As of patch 1.4 I have had significant problems with framerate, if more than 2-3 players are around, or I am in a dynamic area such as Nar Shadaa, my framerate sits at about 10 fps, with significant stuttering. Prior to this patch my game ran on max settings at about 110 fps regardless of what was happening. Below are some system specs as well as some things I have already tried with no luck. I would love some help because currently the game is unplayable for me, no raids, no wz's, just sitting in fleet watching people warp by.

Please keep in mind I play BF-3, GW2, EVE Online, MW:O, etc with Catalyst maxed out graphics and no problems with frame rate.

SYSTEM SPECS:
Intel 7 6-Core 3.25ghz
16 GB RAM
ATI Rad. HD 6990 (no overclocking)
Creative Soundblaster card

ALREADY ATTEMPTED FIXES:
1. Complete uninstall then reinstall of game (Uninstalled from add/remove programs)
2. Deleted all catalyst profiles, and attempted running with no Catalyst profile, and with a new catalyst profile
3. Ensured all drivers (Sound, Video, Windows etc) are up to date
4. Attempted lowest possible settings (only about a 10 FPS increase, but still stuttered)
5. Ran the repair tool

Any help would be great!
=S=
RG_Thor
"Honor Above All"
Proud member: USAF

RG_Thor
10.27.2012 , 02:06 PM | #2
Any suggestions yet?
=S=
RG_Thor
"Honor Above All"

Kyuuu
10.27.2012 , 02:48 PM | #3
its there game and there lack of ablilty to fix the problems that engine had before 1.4 let alone the problems they caused after it

RG_Thor
10.27.2012 , 06:17 PM | #4
bump for another chance at advice
=S=
RG_Thor
"Honor Above All"

Allyndaar
10.28.2012 , 09:50 AM | #5
I'm having huge issues on my machine too, to the point where the game is unplayable if I want to avoid a headache from eye strain. Granted, my PC is old - really old - but it used to play just fine at around 100fps solo, and 40-50 in Ops/combat. Now I'm at 10-24fps solo, and 2-7 in Ops/combat (+2 sec freezes every 8-10secs). It has completely stopped me from being able to PUG due to the lag and stuttering.

I love the game, but I can't afford something I can't actually play.

Specs are below:
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU @ 2.40GHz
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 (overclocked)
aka Shagz
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "HOLY SHHITE.... WHAT A RIDE!

Kyuuu
10.28.2012 , 11:43 AM | #6
Its there engine, They didnt know how to fix the performance issues they had before 1.4 they crippled highend CPU.GPU/SLI systems 1.4 made things worse and they still haven been able to get performance back to why it was before 1.4.

This what happens when most the dev team get canned after game release and the PTS sure anit used to actual test things seeing we cant even get characters copied over to actual do the test, and that imply they listen to the testers which they dont to begin with cause they where told 1.4 had performance issues before it went live they ignored it an released it anyway, and where we are over month later or more and they still didnt fix the problem.

I seen crappier console ports to pc perform better you could atlest lest use the pc's highend parts and brute force performance better then your can in swtor. I love the game but there reason I hate anything EA has there name on, and its that they release **** not ready. First game in 5+ years I bought from EA was bought sololy cause it was from bioware who did Kotor and this was closests i was getting to kotor3 game. which i starting to regret cause 670gtx has same performance issues as a 9800gt and 450gts and no my pc does dont have bottleneck my i7 920 cpu uses never goes past 25% even when the game is doing 15fps.

RG_Thor
10.30.2012 , 09:07 PM | #7
Still no response on my ticket, and even after the patch i'm having terrible stuttering/low frame rates. Please help!
=S=
RG_Thor
"Honor Above All"

Changemelater
10.30.2012 , 09:33 PM | #8
Yeah, good luck. I've been posting on here for a week with the same problem. The customer service forum is basically Bioware's spam folder.

Beesodd
10.30.2012 , 09:40 PM | #9 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hello RG_Thor,

I'm sorry for the delay in response. One thing that may be helpful is to include your MSInfo with your help request. To do so, create a ticket by emailing support@swtor.com, and with it please include the MSInfo (or a launcherdiag file which can be obtained by running the launcherdiag.exe in the game folder).

Also, does this issue occur when you play in windowed mode? Also, ensure that you have the latest Service Pack and Windows Updates installed for your operating system including the optional updates such as .NET Framework and Visual C++ features.

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support| Find help for all EA Games at Answer HQ.

Allyndaar
10.30.2012 , 10:15 PM | #10
I was dicking around with setting last night, guys, and I was able to play without the unbearable lag I was having before. I'm still using the lowest of the low graphics settings, but I also turned off all nameplate options as well. This made a very noticeable improvement to the stuttering issue. My FPS are still the same, but they've smoothed out considerably.

Also, here's my client_settings file (C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\set tings) in case these settings help any of you out. Warning, the game looks like a washed out water painting, but it's playable at least.

[Renderer]
Buckets = 2
D3DFullScreen = false
doShadows = false
GraphicsDeviceId = 1557
GraphicsQuality = 0
Height = 1080
NativeHeight = 1080
NativeWidth = 1920
PerfTestFlags = 19385090
PlantDensity = 0
SpeedTreeDistanceScale = 0.75
TextureAnisotropy = 1
Width = 1920
WindowX = 0
WindowY = 0
CodeVersionChanged = false
LastCodeVersionRun = 1
NewBucket = 2
AntiAliasingLevel = 0
doBlobShadows = false
TextureQuality = 1
EnableBloom = false
ShaderSet = 1
AllowDepthOfField = false
AtlasQuality = 1
MeshLODQuality = 0
aka Shagz
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "HOLY SHHITE.... WHAT A RIDE!