Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Guard in PvE

Marb
09.20.2012 , 08:20 AM | #1
In pve, the flat damage and threat reduction does NOT seem to require you to be within 15m of the target.

This seems to be reinforced by the tooltip, which only mentions the 15m range for the damage split effect in pvp:

“While active, the guarded player takes 5% less damage and generates 25% less threat. In addition, so long as you remain within 15 meters of the guarded player, 50% of all incoming damage from enemy players is transferred back to you. Requires Ion Gas Cylinder."

Highlighted section is what seems to confirm what my raid perceives, the 15m range limit ONLY refers to the damage split effect. In every other way, guard is no different to a single target buff, which gives flat threat and damage reduction.

The main reason I am bringing this up, Is because putting guards on our highest dps, even if the dps are no where near the tank that is guarding them, they still seem to generate less threat.

Is there a way to see if guard is indeed reducing threat out of guard range?

EDIT: after looking around the forums, it seems that its been confirmed that outside of 15m NO threat reduction is applied. I'm wondering how that was proved and where I can find the relevant proof to show my raid leader.
Harbinger

CitizenFry
09.20.2012 , 01:48 PM | #2
You should be able to test the threat reduction for yourself. The combat log will tell you exactly how much threat each of your abilities deals. You could glue yourself to your guarded target for one pull, and then not follow your group to the next pull (so you're far outside of 15m), then check the guarded target's combat log.
Crafting on The Ebon Hawk. PST/mail: Blayze (rep) / K'ron (imp)
Armoring: Commando 26, Reflex 26; Barrel: Patron 26
Mod: Weighted 26+26B, Deflecting 26 Enhancement: Bulwark 26, Battle 26, Finesse 26
Ear: Black Hole Mender's MK-2 Relay

Darth_Dreselus
10.30.2012 , 08:04 PM | #3
I know for a fact that the 5% damage reduction works over 30m as I have tested this with our tank by standing in TFB exhaustion zone and still taking 404 damage a tick (426 damage without the guard). I would presume that the threat does the same and I do guard Snipers, who will steal threat from me when I do not guard them.

I will try what CitizenFry suggested though.
The Last Centurions Derpyn - Sage / Toughen - Vanguard / Bluffin - Scoundrel / Roughen - Sentinel
Filthy-rich - Juggernaut / Timberwulf - Sniper / Ironwill - Mercenary / Ahuizotl - Assassin

BiS Relics for Healers PvE/PvP