Main Healers/ DPS

When I do flashpoints and operations I am dps, but never main dps in ops.

Why do people suggest there are main DPS or Heals? I never understood this. This guy is saying he's not main DPS and I did an EC where one of the heals said that he was 'main healer'. As a Tank I know why we need main and offtanks but for heals and dps it doesnt make sense as it's either dps whatever you see or heals stuff that needs heals. Am i missing something or what?

Pfft healer heals all. I dont know of anybody appointing a healer to tanks and 1 to the rest of the groups. A skilled healer can do it all. I say it be a waste to have one healer sit on the tank while the other heals the rest. This isnt EQ with a cleric rotation and druids healing all others.

Yeah there is no such thing as main and off healer. "main healer" may be on the main tank, but as a healer I am going to heal anyone in my group that needs healing that is within my range and los. If that hurts the main healer feelings, sorry, but that is preferable to a wipe. Got ask to heal NIM KP once by another guild because one of the healers didn't show up. Healer whispered me right away that they were main healer and I was to only heal, healers and dps. He would do all the healing on the tanks. I said okay and proceed to heal any and everyone and the group one shotted the entire instances. Never heard from the healer, but the ops leader thanked me saying that was the first time that guild had gone in any ops without any wipes and it was the first time they cleared KP NIM. From what I could tell the commando healer was very, very good, but wanted it to be a competition between players and not just with the game. I look at it more as teamwork beating the game and I don't care who gets the credit. Edited by mikebevo

I have been in similar situations, where a healer was only healing those in his subgroup on the operations frame.

My tank friend and I had pugged in, and he was in my frame, so I was 'supposed' to be healing him. He whispered me to complain about getting zero heals from the other healer, so I whispered him a warning and then quit healing him, though I continued to heal the rest of the ops group. When he got down to about 30%, the other healer clued in and started healing him and the rest of the operation, and things went smoothly from there.

In my opinion, the 'main' healer is simply the healer responsible for communicating strategy to the rest of the healers, be it where to stand or when to drop purple drink to best coordinate. Beyond that, healers generally need to be healing everyone within range and sight.

yeah...only time you semi divide up is in fight when you divide up in groups. Even then if I have line of sight and range I will heal the other group, especially their healer or tank. There are more than a few time in EC during the Toth and Zorn fight or the Firebrand and Storm caller fights if I didn't throw heals to the other group between running from lighting and missiles, I would just be twiddling my thumbs.

Why do people suggest there are main DPS or Heals? I never understood this. This guy is saying he's not main DPS and I did an EC where one of the heals said that he was 'main healer'. As a Tank I know why we need main and offtanks but for heals and dps it doesnt make sense as it's either dps whatever you see or heals stuff that needs heals. Am i missing something or what?

the main dps is somewhat confusing. i would have to guess he means not "top" damage dps in the ops.

main healer traditionally meant the healer that was responsible to heal the main tank and focusing only on him. aoe healing would be used for his group or a second healer in the group would do such.

this game the ops are really not all that challenging as in most wow clones but some people still use the same nomenclature to define their roles or those of others from the more difficult mmos played. in our guild one healer is responsible for their group and will "help" the other group when needed. obviously there are exceptions but this method is rather easier for us to use. but in fairness people can do what ever they feel comfortable with and all that counts is the boss dying with you having fun doing it.

There are a few things where you need a main healer like nightmare pilgrim but not much else. And the main healer isn't really a reflection of quality of healer as much as it is a reflection of the class. If you have a mix of healers its better if sages stay on the raids and commandos and scoundrels stay on main tank for fights like this. That doesn't mean don't help each other but the reality is each is good a different things. And some certainly not all fights need that.

You don't need a main healer for Nightmare Pilgrim. Healing strategy for NMP is "focus heal the tanks, stay out of bad AOEs, put down good AOEs for the rest of the raid, and don't carelessly put DoTs on anything." As long as the healers are capable of managing their resources and cross-healing, it is not a difficult strategy to follow. If the DPS are doing their jobs (doing as much damage as possible to the boss while taking as little damage as possible) and interrupting the gores and not attacking the dog when they have the bloodmark and not attacking the pilgrim when his shield is up, they will not need to be healed beyond AOEs.

Heard the term main healer used before, usually to indicate that one healer (the main) was very geared, experienced and usually given the job of healing the main tank as well as dps in certain fights or the lesser geared tank in fights with 2 bosses like Zorn and Toth. Was simply a practical title in groups that haven't done much together and have new players along for the run. Like a few weeks ago, we had a newish healer and my very geared sage, plus a new tank and a geared tank, on Zorn and Toth I got to heal the new tank and the new healer got the geared (main) tank.

As far as I'm concerned the title main healer dosen't mean you get the best job lol, just that more is expected, sometimes the impossible if your in a bad ops.

As for main dps.. dunno, I suppose that could indicate say a melee dps who is 100% on the boss while others with ae burn down adds and switch targets..

I have never used the term main healer. But have split the group in the Ops frame and healed according to that.

Don't get me wrong if someone needs heals I'll heal them. It's mostly just to prevent over healing. Like for example if only one person needs heals only the in his sub group would heal him so both healers aren't using resources to heal someone for 13k health when he was missing 7k.

Don't get me wrong if someone needs heals I'll heal them. It's mostly just to prevent over healing. Like for example if only one person needs heals only the in his sub group would heal him so both healers aren't using resources to heal someone for 13k health when he was missing 7k.
I know my group is very guilty of over healing, but I don't care as long as energy is never a issue. I tried to work on rotation and priorities to minimize overhealing, but in the end the results were just not there. I much rather overheal (as long as energy is not a issue) and have everyone at or near 100% the entire fight, than underheal and worry about someone dying because they forgot to get out of a AOE or took a railshot. I think sawbones are just designed to overheal because looking at logs most of them do. Edited by mikebevo

A lot of classes are designed to overheal. The operatives need to get their tactical advantage. Sorcs can buff armor with a HoT. It's not uncommon to toss heals on people at full health because of the secondary benefits.

Furthermore, if you start a channeled heal in anticipation of damage, often times, when the heal goes off, the damage has already happened. If the tank somehow dodges or soaks, then the heal is an overheal.

As long as you're managing resources properly, overhealing is completely not a problem.