Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Phasersablaze
10.30.2012 , 12:04 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Jarfunkz View Post
Or you can get in a group with players with multiple knockbacks, position yourself to where you won't be leaped to easily... These are called strategies, they are something you want to incorporate into your playing style. They should be something that puts you in a better position(pardon the pun) to be successful.
And what strategies do LOLSMASHERS need to employ to be effective hmm? If Mercenaries need to have help in order to be effective then they are seriously underpowered.

Dovahbrah
10.30.2012 , 01:01 PM | #32
knockback(good for peeling, especially with leapers), high ranged dps, ability to take off dots, cc's... Not sure if serious.
Where to even start.

1 knockback, okay. Too bad it's not that helpful if you're already snared, plus you'll just get leapt back to in most cases. Rage spec juggs/maras have two leaps. Every class has a way to nullify the knockback.

High ranged DPS? Sorry, but that's not utility, I think you're confused. Every class can do high DPS. The difference is, every other class can still do that DPS under pressure unlike mercs/commandos.

Ability to take off dots? Only tech unless spec'd for it. Pretty much useless.

CC's? You mean a stun, which every other class has, or the mezz, with a cast time and a 1 minute cooldown, that breaks on damage? Or the root, which only one spec has, which only works in melee range?

Notsureifserious. Do you even PvP, or are you willfully ignorant as to how easy it is to nullify/shut down Mercs/Commandos? The class offers nothing that the other ones don't, and the other classes can do their jobs better.
Leaf - 50 Commando - The Fatman Notleaf - 50 Juggernaught - POT5
Leafe - 50 Shadow - The Fatman
Leafy - 50 Vanguard - The Fatman
Leafyy - 50 Sentinel - The Fatman

Essence_of_Light
10.30.2012 , 04:07 PM | #33
knockback(good for peeling, especially with leapers), high ranged dps, ability to take off dots, cc's... Not sure if serious.
Trolling Mara right here!
But seriously, are you one of those pvpers that think they are all that becuase you tear ppl down with your mara/sent that take almost NO skill? LAWL

P.S. Yes, ive played as a sent in 50 pvp and i forgot how easy it was to kill with em, but seriously I still pvp with my commando cuz I have no respect for Sent/Maras (except the ones that really HAVE skill)
For the Republic!
Click my referral link here for 7 free days as sub, free server transfer, free CC unlocks, and other bonuses!

cashogy
10.30.2012 , 04:43 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Dovahbrah View Post
Where to even start.

1 knockback, okay. Too bad it's not that helpful if you're already snared, plus you'll just get leapt back to in most cases. Rage spec juggs/maras have two leaps. Every class has a way to nullify the knockback.

High ranged DPS? Sorry, but that's not utility, I think you're confused. Every class can do high DPS. The difference is, every other class can still do that DPS under pressure unlike mercs/commandos.

Ability to take off dots? Only tech unless spec'd for it. Pretty much useless.

CC's? You mean a stun, which every other class has, or the mezz, with a cast time and a 1 minute cooldown, that breaks on damage? Or the root, which only one spec has, which only works in melee range?

Notsureifserious. Do you even PvP, or are you willfully ignorant as to how easy it is to nullify/shut down Mercs/Commandos? The class offers nothing that the other ones don't, and the other classes can do their jobs better.
he plays a powertech, what'd you expect?

compare merc to any other class and you will see a massive disparity as far as utility is concerned

AllisonBerryman
10.31.2012 , 10:04 AM | #35 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hi everyone! I talked to Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) about Commandos and Mercenaries and their situation in PvP right now, and he had this to say:

I think it's fair to say that Mercenaries and Commandos have escape issues. Admittedly, they can be very hard to catch when used correctly to hug corners, but a lot of that "escapability" falls aside when attacked by multiple melee enemies, at which point they just aren't quite tough enough to sustain without further escapes. We have plans for the future that should give Mercenaries and Commandos better escapes in PvP.

Jenzali
10.31.2012 , 10:08 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Admittedly, they can be very hard to catch when used correctly to hug corners
Hugging corners isn't something that only Mercs/Commandos can do, and in fact a lot of classes do it far better (Sages/Sorcs). A lot of times it is simply better to stand there and take the punishment than to risk allowing your opponents to use LoS against you, or worse, LoS your team's healers.

Overall a strange response that can only imply that the developers are keyboard turners if they find DPS Mercs/Commandos hard to catch

Anyway, good to know it's being looked into. Thanks as usual, Allison.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

Lord_Karsk
10.31.2012 , 10:12 AM | #37
Hi everyone! I talked to Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) about Commandos and Mercenaries and their situation in PvP right now, and he had this to say:

I think it's fair to say that Mercenaries and Commandos have escape issues. Admittedly, they can be very hard to catch when used correctly to hug corners, but a lot of that "escapability" falls aside when attacked by multiple melee enemies, at which point they just aren't quite tough enough to sustain without further escapes. We have plans for the future that should give Mercenaries and Commandos better escapes in PvP.

Dear Austin Peckenpaugh. If you ever actually played the AC in PvP,
(something you clearly have not)
You would know the issue is not just against multiple enemies but a singel "mele" enemy that can shut
down the DPS on this class to easy.ALSO DPS wise gunnery/arsenal is far weaker because of this.
Having a escape is fine but a gunnery commando cant kill enyone with hammershot alone,because a mele/powerteck etc will be on you in a second anyways.

Phasersablaze
10.31.2012 , 10:24 AM | #38

"Escapes" don't seem to gel with the whole heavy armor bounty hunter/commando lore. I don't want to be stealth. Besides the fact that "escaping" wont help my team accomplish objectives any better even if it does save my life for the time being. Let me also point out that "escaping will hurt dps on an already sub-par class. Look at snipers for guidance (ranged dps class just like us). They have much better defensive abilities that also make them immune to interrupts AND being jumped to by mele.

I'm sorry Allison, but Merc/Commando's problem isn't just "when multiple mele attack". We are also the weakest 1v1 class in the game by a long shot. I really think you need to explain to Austin that an escape ability is not bring to bring us back in line. The whole AC needs an overhaul. As many have said before "there is no reason to bring a Mercenary on a ranked PVP team". This is very upsetting considering the time spend grinding 100 valor and gear.

Problem#1) All our dps is tied around Tracer Missile/Grav Round which is too susceptible to interrupts. We can be easily shut down by many classes without being able to do the same to any other classes.

Problem#2) Survivability. When the Knock-back of Rocket Punch was removed in 1.4 it got even worse than it was before. PLEASE ask Austin to make Rocket-Punch a Knockback WITH a root attached. This would help our survivability SO MUCH. Please also see all the threads in Merc forums about this since 100% of mercenaries agree this is what Rocket-Punch should do.

Problem#3) Burst DPS. It's mediocre. This really hurts our survivability as well. Making Heatseeker Missile a little stronger and having it auto-crit when specced into it like so many other DPS abilities would go very far in helping us.

LeonHawkeye
10.31.2012 , 10:49 AM | #39

Sweet. Nothing short of a relief for this to finally be acknowledged. Although what players are already saying is true, everyone can LOS(Line of sight) and everyone has trouble against multiple enemies, this is fair this is alright but when a player is already crippled and goes into a 1v1 fight incapable or having a preposterously difficult time despite of their skill level and use of 100% of their abilities, then it falls to class problems. When another class has the tools and given the proper skill level can handle multiple enemies or simply just escape multiple enemies while we have the luxury of neither, there is a clear class imbalance. Regardless, very elated to see the response and looking forward to the much needed changes, please for the love of the dwindling Mando/Merc community left, play the class, then play the class some more, in PvP, 1v1s and even ranked, then play it just a little bit more; then and only then will you understand how incredibly dysfunctional, frustrating and awkward of a time we have.

Kudos and best of wishes, looking forward to the changes. If done right, you'll get another 6 month sub from me and perhaps others, if done wrong you'll see the extinction of Mandos/Mercs and more than likely lose their subs as well.

Larry_Dallas
10.31.2012 , 10:56 AM | #40

Well, at least they did notice this problem. But he's overestimating how effective corner hugging is. If a single enemy applies a snare or root, corner hugging does bupkiss for a merc.