Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
BW, do you ever plan on addressing DPS Mercs/Commandos PvP-wise?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

roiskade
10.29.2012 , 10:30 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Dovahbrah View Post
Wow. So apparently BW can take the time to move this from the general section to the PvP section, but can't take the time to formulate a response? Really?
That kind of summs up their customer support and the amount of communication they're willing to have with the players.

Dovahbrah
10.29.2012 , 12:59 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by roiskade View Post
That kind of summs up their customer support and the amount of communication they're willing to have with the players.
It's getting to be quite sad. If this was about the coin shop, there would have been a yellow post on the first page .

But these threads have hundreds of posts, and not even one response. I really want to like this game, but it seems like the Devs aren't even trying. If they had a higher level of responsiveness and competence, perhaps this game wouldn't have lost 70% of its subs in less than a year.
Leaf - 50 Commando - The Fatman Notleaf - 50 Juggernaught - POT5
Leafe - 50 Shadow - The Fatman
Leafy - 50 Vanguard - The Fatman
Leafyy - 50 Sentinel - The Fatman

Azrienov
10.29.2012 , 07:42 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Xenirath View Post
You can make combustible gas cylinders slow the enemy for as long as it is applied which means mercs get a permaslow essentially not sure how that isn't considered utility. Let alone they do massive AoE dmg in all specs besides healing.
lmao! LMAO! Omg, I've seen posers, but that comment right there takes the cake. AoE aside, because it's only ok compared to smash and madness, PERMASLOW.... lololololololololololol

Go play the class again, and tell me you can permaslow anything. Then explain how useful permaslow is in a leap spam game. Please, christ on a corndog, don't make comments like that.

It ruins your credibility.

And if you have a sentinel sitting on you and your spamming CHANNELS... he's going to hit you with masterstrike and end the fight. I have a hard time believing you do anything with SWTOR period... good lord.

Antipodes
10.29.2012 , 08:23 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
Throw us a bone BW. I would almost have preferred you hadn't done anything in 1.4 rather than make the changes you did. Leaving us alone showed you didn't care about us sucking hind teat in PVP.
So you wish they didn't do anything in 1.4 so you could complain about leaving you guys alone?

They did throw you guys a bone in 1.4! It doesn't seem like it is enough, but I'd rather them take the iterative approach of small balance changes, rather than swing the pendulum of which classes are OP from patch to patch.

Hopefully, BW gives you guys *small* buffs in 1.6.

Dovahbrah
10.29.2012 , 09:07 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post
So you wish they didn't do anything in 1.4 so you could complain about leaving you guys alone?

They did throw you guys a bone in 1.4! It doesn't seem like it is enough, but I'd rather them take the iterative approach of small balance changes, rather than swing the pendulum of which classes are OP from patch to patch.

BW has had almost a year to "incrementally" buff Mercs/Commandos. It hasn't happened, outside of an interrupt they should've had at release. Big changes are needed before the class becomes extinct. There's a reason the majority of warzones are composed of melee now, and hardly any mercs, let alone DPS ones.
Leaf - 50 Commando - The Fatman Notleaf - 50 Juggernaught - POT5
Leafe - 50 Shadow - The Fatman
Leafy - 50 Vanguard - The Fatman
Leafyy - 50 Sentinel - The Fatman

Doomsdaycomes
10.29.2012 , 09:38 PM | #26
Agree pretty much.

When I ran in arsenal/gunnery, the only thing I -ever- did that made me feel useful was a few off heals on our healer. Tech Override+Medical Probe, and then maybe an AMP. I was running a 10/31/0 spec or something like that just for better off heals. I didn't have to worry about heat/ammo cause I was always dead about 10-20 seconds into off healing/dpsing.

Switching to Pyro/Assault was better, but it still pales in comparison to my other DPS toons (Sniper, Sin, Pre-50 OP, Dps Sage, Maurader). Not to mention... Assault just feels wrong on a commando. Big-*** cannon so I can... run around and throw grenades? Sure, I do alright and certianly play well enough to be an asset to a team, but on any of my other classes I'm more useful and much more capable.

ArchangelLBC
10.30.2012 , 12:21 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post

They showed us a bone with the interrupt (a bone we should have had since launch) and then beat us over the head with it. You're crazy if you think the nerfs to sweltering heat and the knockback on stockstrike (not to mention the nerf to cryo grenade) did anything but hurt an already dysfunctional class in PVP.

Like I said, them doing nothing would have shown us being ignored. What they did showed they have a fundamental lack of understanding of the basic class and how it works in a PVP environment.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Wartitans
10.30.2012 , 07:17 AM | #28
Having played both Merc and Commando in PvP fairly regularly I can agree fully with what has been said.
On commando what good is a knockback when melee opponents just leap straight back at you? especially since now favorite of the month rage specs are getting two leaps now with Obliterate. This effectively leaves us with a 4 second single target stun and an interupt. Slows aren't really much help since pretty much anything thats going to let you live long enough is a channelled ability anyway.

My solution would be first of all make the stun grenade a longer distance, so at least after throwing melee's back you can stun one to stop him just launching back at you. There also needs to be one other form of stun/knockback somewhere commando specific but looking at the commando specific powers I am unable to see any other power it could attach to, so possibly decrease the cooldown on concussion charge.

In terms of Merc I haven't played one in a while now since I gave up trying to make it viable so no solutions here.
“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.” - Abraham Lincoln

Jarfunkz
10.30.2012 , 10:39 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by bahdasz View Post
U-T-I-L-I-T-Y

We don't have any. We have nothing to offer a pvp group, and so you can't even find a group to be in anymore.

FIX !!!!!!
knockback(good for peeling, especially with leapers), high ranged dps, ability to take off dots, cc's... Not sure if serious.
VicVega

Jarfunkz
10.30.2012 , 10:42 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Wartitans View Post
Having played both Merc and Commando in PvP fairly regularly I can agree fully with what has been said.
On commando what good is a knockback when melee opponents just leap straight back at you? especially since now favorite of the month rage specs are getting two leaps now with Obliterate. This effectively leaves us with a 4 second single target stun and an interupt. Slows aren't really much help since pretty much anything thats going to let you live long enough is a channelled ability anyway.

My solution would be first of all make the stun grenade a longer distance, so at least after throwing melee's back you can stun one to stop him just launching back at you. There also needs to be one other form of stun/knockback somewhere commando specific but looking at the commando specific powers I am unable to see any other power it could attach to, so possibly decrease the cooldown on concussion charge.

In terms of Merc I haven't played one in a while now since I gave up trying to make it viable so no solutions here.
Or you can get in a group with players with multiple knockbacks, position yourself to where you won't be leaped to easily... These are called strategies, they are something you want to incorporate into your playing style. They should be something that puts you in a better position(pardon the pun) to be successful.
VicVega