Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Technical Changes in Game Update 1.5

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Technical Changes in Game Update 1.5
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

SoonerJBD
10.29.2012 , 03:22 PM | #11
Really wish Bioware would stop putting so much effort into how shiny the foliage in the game is and fix balance problems and bugs.

I just imagine the devs sitting around a table coming up with their priorities for 1.5 and saying, "you know, we still have some major bugs to address, and the DPS classes need some serious balance fixes, but there is a rock somewhere on Tatooine that doesn't look just right. Let's get right on that."

Lord_Ravenhurst
10.29.2012 , 03:24 PM | #12
Yay! Graphics improvements are always very, very welcome!

Now imagine dynamically changing light situations.. binary sunset on Tattooine...? Moons rising over Alderaan..?

phill-fry
10.29.2012 , 03:26 PM | #13
I like these kinds of changes to the game tbh, I didn't actually experience any of the bugs with the shadows and prefer them now to before when the looked like they belonged to minecraft, look forward to experiencing this update as well just hope it doesn't cause any bugs.
"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege. "

Lord_Ravenhurst
10.29.2012 , 03:28 PM | #14
The next things Id like would be some options for high end rigs:

DX11
Tesselation
High Res textures with bump maps

Ive got a GTX680, give it something to chew!

Ubuu
10.29.2012 , 03:28 PM | #15
so this only improves the look of plants and not *****? bah fail! :P

Darth_Victus
10.29.2012 , 03:28 PM | #16
I am going to need to update my video card very soon lol.

But still nice to see this kind of improvement. I spend more time in the game looking at the enviorment then most anything else actually. Though would still be awesome to eventually see day and night cycles on the planets.

Karlos
10.29.2012 , 03:29 PM | #17
Day/night cycle and random weather effects would be nice

AshlaBoga
10.29.2012 , 03:30 PM | #18
Firstly I'd really like to see whether any of you agree/disagree with my post:

Some armours in-game seem fairly flat (the designs are clearly meant to be 3D, but they come off as 2 D).

A bit flat: Sorcerer's Robe

Not flat at all: Imperial Containment Officer

So as someone with almost zero IT understanding, do shaders add texture to outfits? So will increasing shader quality reduce flatness?
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

Grumblechris
10.29.2012 , 03:33 PM | #19
Looks great. Will the draw distance of said foliage be increased, so we don't end up with a wierd halo of grass growing around our characters?

Lord_Ravenhurst
10.29.2012 , 03:34 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post
So as someone with almost zero IT understanding, do shaders add texture to outfits? So will increasing shader quality reduce flatness?
Shaders are about lighting effects.
What you want is more geometry, or at least bump maps. Id go for tesselation but that would require a DX11 client. SWTOR is DX9.
TSW for example has DX11, e.g. on a beach with rubble, the rubble is not flat, its all geometry and therefore has a 3D effect.