Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PC consistently or even periodically resets itself during SWTOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
PC consistently or even periodically resets itself during SWTOR
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

cindalkitty
06.30.2012 , 06:23 PM | #511
I installed an NVIDIA Geforce GTX 560ti on Tuesday and have been experiencing game/computer crashes ever since. Yes, I uninstalled my other card's drivers before installing my new card and then updated my new card with its most recent drivers.

I initially contacted NVIDIA. They directed me to an older version of my card's drivers (295.73). I installed it according to their directions and continued to experience the same problems. Their response was that my problem could only be caused by one of two things: the driver, or the game. Without further investigation, they told me to take it up with SWTOR and that I may just have to turn my settings down. I wouldn't have bought their card, or a new card at all, if I wanted to turn my settings down

The nature of my issues amount to these two specific scenarios:
1.) My graphics in-game randomly go all technicolor raveland and then stop altogether. I am able to shut the game down through Task Manager (it never says the program stopped responding, so it's still going, it's just off on a trip). However, I am then unable to load up any other game on my computer. Why? I have discovered that my Direct3D dies. Rebooting my computer fixes this.

2.) Technicolor Raveland™ happens, my entire system locks up, and BSOD happens, pointing the finger at my NVIDIA driver: nv4_disp.dll

The ONLY thing that seems to determine if I'm going to get a BSOD or a dead Direct3D is the 3D Settings mode I pick in my NVIDIA Control Panel. BSOD = "Use the Advanced 3D image settings". Direct3D Death = "Let the 3D application decide."

I also notice that, if I have video up in my browser, this aggravates the problem.

Template:

Cleanliness - check. It's a new card, seated properly, and I took the opportunity upon opening my case to go over things with some canned air.

CHKDSK revealed nothing.

Memory diagnostic - ...had a problem here in that it wouldn't run from my disc at start up. Made sure the boot order was correct and everything. Tried a couple of discs. I am either doing something wrong, or my DVDROM is being a jerk.

DXDIAG (dead Direct3D version)
Spoiler

Event Log:
Going to be honest, here. I located my event viewer, but I'm not sure which event is wanted and then what out of that event is needed. The BSOD error, which is usually:

nv4_disp.dll - address BD0A3579 base at BD012000

DavidSkyy
08.30.2012 , 05:32 PM | #512
This just started with me. I'm in the middle of something when suddenly the screen goes black and my HD light is running constantly.

I've read through some of these posts. It appears "support" keeps wanting to blame it on our computers and demanding that we non-techie types do techie research for them, to what end?

I think the simplest solution is to stop paying for this game. If you want to keep my business, POST A REAL SOLUTION.

PS - I've been playing this game for about 3 months, and this problem JUST STARTED, so I find it hard to believe it's MY problem.

momoriah
10.06.2012 , 11:07 PM | #513
I'm having this problem too, and it's ONLY happening with SWTOR. I have yet to have this problem with any other games (including ones with much more heavy graphics requirements). I do NOT get the BSOD, my screen will just randomly go black and then suddenly Windows is restarting. It's only happened a couple of times, but googling is leading me to believe this is a larger issue with SWTOR so I've become wary.

Zaphman
10.26.2012 , 08:58 PM | #514
Its not our computers thats the problem IT IS SWTOR thats the problem. I have formatted my hard drive and installed windows again and the only thing on my PC is SWTOR and nothing else. Yet my computer keeps restarting after a week of it running fine, it occurred while playing SWTOR and it wont stop now.

Twice in 2 months its killed my computer.

I had been able to play GTA4 no problem (before my op system was killed and i had to do a clean install from scratch) yet SWTOR with the lowest possible graphic settings seems to work my pc so hard it dies. So far its destroyed my operating system because of its crashing and restarting and now it looks like its killed one of its components, it could be the cpu, gpu, motherboard, g-card or memory this time.

59 pages of complaints and no repsonse about this issue.

We cant all be wrong

Thylbanus
10.27.2012 , 01:09 AM | #515
Ok, here goes.
1. Event Viewer
Spoiler

2. a. No failures
b. No memory problems, and your link is dead.
c. Already set to that.
3. a. dxdiag
Spoiler

b. Sorry
c. Yes
d. Sorry, the only marks on my power supply are the QA stickers. She's about 2-3 years old.
e. It happens most often when zoning, but on occassion it will happen when a conversation is starting. I will know I'm about to crash when I get a sound loop or stutter.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Zaphman
10.27.2012 , 01:26 AM | #516
The more i read about this issue the more of the pattern becomes clear;

It only affects gaming pc's with graphics cards capable of being overclocked.
The reports from players who put down all you request show an increased power usage and a large jump in temperature.

These issues started when there are patches added "To resolve performance issues on some systems"

By any chance is the fix to resolve these performance issues to overclock the graphics card? This would explain why the system suddenly needs more power and generates a lot more heat.

There are others thinking this is whats happening and if it is the case its disgracefull and bioware are responsible for breaking hundreds of computers by overclocking them for a short period to offset the awfull Hero game engine which requires so much work to implement any changes and has terrible performance.

I only played SWTOR on my computer this last 2 months and so far my computer has died twice in that time. I cant afford to buy new parts or a new PC every month just to play this game. Quite frankly your silence on this matter and lack of any explanations is disgusting.

If you want to play SWTOR I suggest you use a low powered system with inbuilt graphics that can use 512 meg of memory as any other type of system just gets killed by the sudden power increase and/or the extra heat generated by SWTOR overclocking your graphics card. Those are the only systems that have not had this problem.

Zaphman
10.28.2012 , 09:46 PM | #517
OK, SWTOR kills our psu and/or our gpu's because of a patch that tells your gpu to work harder when SWTOR fps drop too low for the game ot be playable. All the reports in here show no problems with windows, no errors with memory, hard drives, SWTOR files, startup conflicts. Its affecting brand new systems, older systems but all which have 1 thing in common, gpu's capable of being overclocked.

So intentionally or not SWTOR is overclocking systems and either;

Overheating them
Killing power supplys
Killing Gpu's
Or all of the above.

It has become very clear to everyone who has had this happen to them repeatedly that its is SWTOR killing our systems. It must also be clear to Bioware that this is the case as many people have contacted them either through the forums or customer support that this is the case.

So what do bioware do about this problem thats been around since january 2012. They pretend its not happening and refuse to answer any customer service tickets/ technical support tickets about this issue. The ask us to give them the same technical information in the forums they have been getting for 10 months that show its thier problem not ours.

No one is taking responsibility or being held accountable. They just bury thier heads in the sand and pretend its not happening.

enough is enough.

You owe us all a lot of money for our broken components, our time spent fixing the computers broken by your game as well as the lost gaming time and the stress of having to deal with your customer service that ignores us completely.

Iam contacting The office of trading standards, Lucas Arts and the FTC.

No wonder you have so few customers, you have killed all thier computers and then ignored thier complaints.

Legal action will be taken I guarentee it. I look forward to that day as do we all

Griffinous
10.28.2012 , 10:21 PM | #518
Quote: Originally Posted by Zaphman View Post
OK, SWTOR kills our psu and/or our gpu's because of a patch that tells your gpu to work harder when SWTOR fps drop too low for the game ot be playable. All the reports in here show no problems with windows, no errors with memory, hard drives, SWTOR files, startup conflicts. Its affecting brand new systems, older systems but all which have 1 thing in common, gpu's capable of being overclocked.

So intentionally or not SWTOR is overclocking systems and either;

Overheating them
Killing power supplys
Killing Gpu's
Or all of the above.

It has become very clear to everyone who has had this happen to them repeatedly that its is SWTOR killing our systems. It must also be clear to Bioware that this is the case as many people have contacted them either through the forums or customer support that this is the case.

So what do bioware do about this problem thats been around since january 2012. They pretend its not happening and refuse to answer any customer service tickets/ technical support tickets about this issue. The ask us to give them the same technical information in the forums they have been getting for 10 months that show its thier problem not ours.

No one is taking responsibility or being held accountable. They just bury thier heads in the sand and pretend its not happening.

enough is enough.

You owe us all a lot of money for our broken components, our time spent fixing the computers broken by your game as well as the lost gaming time and the stress of having to deal with your customer service that ignores us completely.

Iam contacting The office of trading standards, Lucas Arts and the FTC.

No wonder you have so few customers, you have killed all thier computers and then ignored thier complaints.

Legal action will be taken I guarentee it. I look forward to that day as do we all

What a ridiculous statement.

Let’s come back to the real world for a moment, and understand how computers work.

You have software, such as SWTOR which interacts with Windows. If there is something wrong with the coding of SWTOR, it will crash, causing you to end up at Windows desktop.

That's right, not locking up the computer, not switching off the computer or popping hardware; crash to Windows desktop.

The only way that failing hardware can be attributed to software is through the device drivers, which directly control many major components. If there is something wrong with the drivers, it is possible to damage the hardware. (i.e corruption, or overclocking)

If you have an overheating graphics card, you have insufficient cooling in your case, or you're clogged with dust. The fact is, the graphics card is designed to run at 100%, the highest SWTOR will utilise. If it's overheating, that's not a software related issue.

Power Supply issues - There are loads of cheap and nasty PSUs out there, they say they run at 800w, but as soon as any current is put through them, i.e a GPU under load, they pop. This is just something that happens if you buy cheap hardware.
Saying that, you also get the geniuses who install a powerful GPU without upgrading the PSU, and again, this will cause the current to be too high and pop the PSU.

Again, nothing to do with software.

Why do these things happen when you play SWTOR?

Simply because the game is designed to use all available system resources to give you the best possible visual experiance. But it can only use 100%, because that is the hardware / driver limitation.
So if the computer can't handle running at 100%, you have faulty hardware or a bad build.

As a qualified computer engineer,I hope you look logically at what you've said and hopefully you'll understand that placing hardware faults solely on a game that utilises the PC hardware to it's full potential is a tad daft
Watercooled i7 2600k @5ghz, Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z with watercooled chipset, 16gb DDR3, Watercooled 4gb AMD Radeon HD6990, Creative X-Fi Champion Kingston Hyper X 256gb SSD 3x 23" LED monitors @ 5760x1080

Zaphman
10.28.2012 , 10:53 PM | #519
Sorry but your very wrong, for a start, read every post in this thread, I have.
secondly I did a format and fresh install, I had all my drivers up to date running on the most up to date versions, My computer runs cooler then the ambient room temperature. I had all the updates for net frameworks. Everything updated and up to speed.

This is the second time in 2 months my pc died from SWTOR.

After this install the only thing on my computer was SWTOR.

I have a smart meter which shows the power comsuption of my house.

While playing SWTOR my games fps dropped to 0 it lagged out for 45 seconds and during that time my power consumption increased by 50% at the exact time of the lag, it was definately drawing more and more power from my pc until it broke the psu.

There was no dust, clogged fans or broken fans at all. My system is not the problem.

Just see how many systems it has broken. This is not the only thread about this in these forums or on the web. Check out windows help forums for all operating systems and everyone of them has people complaining about these issues.

Watch Youtube where there are video's showing a huge ammount of problems with SWTOR crashing, black screening, BSOD and killing systems.

If you dont beleive it then you need to research it better then just reading a couple of posts and saying thats not right because it is.

SWTOR kills computers! There is no doubt about it what so ever.

If SWTOR wasnt the problem then why wont they even reply to customer service/technical support tickets about this issue anymore?

They know they are responsible, we know they are responsible.

BTW if you had read the posts in here you wouldnt have said any of the stuff you brought up as thats all been done and disproved over and over.

Only systems with in built gpu's that cant be overclocked are safe, everyone else will have thier system killed by SWTOR.

If you dont believe me just wait until it happens to you then get back in here and see how unhelpfull the technical support are when they ignore you.

Griffinous
10.28.2012 , 11:04 PM | #520
Quote: Originally Posted by Zaphman View Post
Sorry but your very wrong, for a start, read every post in this thread, I have.
secondly I did a format and fresh install, I had all my drivers up to date running on the most up to date versions, My computer runs cooler then the ambient room temperature. I had all the updates for net frameworks. Everything updated and up to speed.

This is the second time in 2 months my pc died from SWTOR.

After this install the only thing on my computer was SWTOR.

I have a smart meter which shows the power comsuption of my house.

While playing SWTOR my games fps dropped to 0 it lagged out for 45 seconds and during that time my power consumption increased by 50% at the exact time of the lag, it was definately drawing more and more power from my pc until it broke the psu.

There was no dust, clogged fans or broken fans at all. My system is not the problem.

Just see how many systems it has broken. This is not the only thread about this in these forums or on the web. Check out windows help forums for all operating systems and everyone of them has people complaining about these issues.

Watch Youtube where there are video's showing a huge ammount of problems with SWTOR crashing, black screening, BSOD and killing systems.

If you dont beleive it then you need to research it better then just reading a couple of posts and saying thats not right because it is.

SWTOR kills computers! There is no doubt about it what so ever.

If SWTOR wasnt the problem then why wont they even reply to customer service/technical support tickets about this issue anymore?

They know they are responsible, we know they are responsible.

BTW if you had read the posts in here you wouldnt have said any of the stuff you brought up as thats all been done and disproved over and over.

Only systems with in built gpu's that cant be overclocked are safe, everyone else will have thier system killed by SWTOR.

If you dont believe me just wait until it happens to you then get back in here and see how unhelpfull the technical support are when they ignore you.

Say you have a graphics card that uses 400w at 100% utalisation. And you have a 500w PSU. When you're playing older less intensive games, your GPU and CPU will only run at a fraction of their potential. Thus, your computer will constantly be operating within the 500w.
However, if you play a game which is capable of using 100% of that CPU and GPU, you'll likely breach the 500w and bang goes the PSU.

But this shouldn't happen, because if you have a 400w GPU, you should be running a 800w-1kw PSU to cater for all of the other hardware. This is a build issue.

To re-cap, if it's possible for your components to draw more power than the PSU can handle, you have the wrong PSU.

People moaning on forums about their issues does not make it a game issue. They all have their own individual problems that can be addressed.

If your computer has wrecked two power supplies, I recommend you seek someone who knows what they're doing to assess your setup.
Watercooled i7 2600k @5ghz, Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z with watercooled chipset, 16gb DDR3, Watercooled 4gb AMD Radeon HD6990, Creative X-Fi Champion Kingston Hyper X 256gb SSD 3x 23" LED monitors @ 5760x1080