Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Merc is TERRIBLE

ArchangelLBC
10.28.2012 , 10:23 PM | #571
Quote: Originally Posted by Phasersablaze View Post
Lol cute tactic. Ask everyone who doesn't agree with you to stop posting. Let me think about that...

...NO THANKS GUY!!!

Ever seen a merc do 1 million damage in a regular length WZ? Guss what. They still wouldn't even if they could free-cast the entire time. Merc DPS needs an upgrade ESPECIALLY burst.
I'm sure pretty much everyone would be hard pressed to put up a million damage in even a full length void star. The recent thread where a Rage Mara did it? Even he admitted that it was a mystical aligning of the stars. You basically need an incredibly well geared and well played DPS with a massive spammable AoE that is nevertheless being constantly healed through by the other team, while you yourself have a set of good healers on YOUR team to keep you up.

Fact is I've never seen ANYONE do a million damage in any warzone EVER. Peak I've seen is a around 600k. I did in the high 500s on a full length void star on my commando once, and I saw a mara get close to 600k on a Novarre where south went a long time without being capped.

Fact is that as different as they are any sort of major DPS upgrade in PVP would probably unbalance things on the PVE side without a major rework. At least for gunnery/arsenal. Assault/Pyro might be a different story, if you just upgrade the burst, but I'd much rather see a talent to make Charged Burst proc plasma cell 100% of the time and a talent way up in the tree making it instant. See how those two changes (or just one of them, preferably the second) affect things before they go making big changes.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Phasersablaze
10.28.2012 , 10:37 PM | #572
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
I'm sure pretty much everyone would be hard pressed to put up a million damage in even a full length void star. The recent thread where a Rage Mara did it? Even he admitted that it was a mystical aligning of the stars. You basically need an incredibly well geared and well played DPS with a massive spammable AoE that is nevertheless being constantly healed through by the other team, while you yourself have a set of good healers on YOUR team to keep you up.

Fact is I've never seen ANYONE do a million damage in any warzone EVER. Peak I've seen is a around 600k. I did in the high 500s on a full length void star on my commando once, and I saw a mara get close to 600k on a Novarre where south went a long time without being capped.

Fact is that as different as they are any sort of major DPS upgrade in PVP would probably unbalance things on the PVE side without a major rework. At least for gunnery/arsenal. Assault/Pyro might be a different story, if you just upgrade the burst, but I'd much rather see a talent to make Charged Burst proc plasma cell 100% of the time and a talent way up in the tree making it instant. See how those two changes (or just one of them, preferably the second) affect things before they go making big changes.
Your Facts are not Facts. That are your personal observations. The actual facts are that several different classes have put out over a million damage even prior to the 1.4 Rage buff. Mercs are middle of the line in DPS.

The Fact is that our burst could be tweaked without affecting PVE. A buff to HSM wouldn't affect PVE much since that's only 15% of total damage. Yet something like auto-crit and a 10% boost would be awesome in PVP.

You are right though. a buff to unload or tracer would cause PVE imbalance.

ArchangelLBC
10.28.2012 , 10:57 PM | #573
Your Facts are not Facts. That are your personal observations. The actual facts are that several different classes have put out over a million damage even prior to the 1.4 Rage buff. Mercs are middle of the line in DPS.

The Fact is that our burst could be tweaked without affecting PVE. A buff to HSM wouldn't affect PVE much since that's only 15% of total damage. Yet something like auto-crit and a 10% boost would be awesome in PVP.

Work with me through the math here. Take an ability that does 15% of your damage. Now buff that ability ??? Now the ability does a higher % of our damage.

Also if you want to get all whiny over the semantics of a figure of speech (which btw it is a FACT that I have never seen someone in any warzone that I was in get within shouting distance of a million damage) doesn't a valid argument make.

Now personally I'd LOVE a 10% boost to DR and have it autocrit, or even have the PVP set bonus give the crit rating increase to both HiB AND DR, but I'm loathe to ask for such a damage boost for two reasons.

1) Without significant changes in our ability to get damage out under fire, the damage boost isn't going to be significant. You'd still have to get 3 Grav Rounds on the target, under fire, to open the way for the burst. That's the problem. The burst (which isn't as bad as you seem to make out sometimes, though not as great as others) is all backloaded, and the setup has to be put on one target and is easily countered by anyone with an interrupt. It's the ease with which that setup is shutdown that makes us such a nonthreat in PVP when someone with an interrupt and a working brain is on us. Making the finisher more potent just gives a larger incentive to keep us locked down.

2) The utility changes are the ones that are really needed. If we get them I think we'll be completely viable in PVP, until we get them I think we'll always be playing second fiddle. Boosting our damage will almost certainly delay us getting the utility buffs we need. Once we have them your opinion might bear out, but we're just not gonna know, and in the meantime I think trying to focus on our damage distracts from the real issue, which is getting the hits out at all.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

cashogy
10.28.2012 , 11:29 PM | #574

the circumstances necessary to achieve 1mil+ damage have nothing to do with the class. you need an opposing team stacked with healers and a full 15m warzone. chances of getting absurdly high damage numbers goes through the roof in those circumstances.

in a competitive bf, you will likely see top players putting up 300-500k total damage. this can be done as a merc, ive done it many times on both winning and losing teams.

for the last time, merc damage does NOT need a buff. we need mobility/utility buffs, because we have laughably little compared to every other class.

you continue to whine that merc doesnt have an AOE that does 7k like smash specd jugs/maras, which is the result of poor developer actions and over-balancing. you continue to whine for your turn on the nerf-go-round that is the number one problem with pvp in this game. just stop, because with our luck the one person the devs decide to listen to will be you, and that is the last thing we need.

Mercury_Down
10.29.2012 , 07:32 AM | #575
I know this has been suggested before ....

Allowing Mercs/Commandos to cast certain abilities on the move (like grav round/charged bolts) would have next to no impact on PVE, but would it make them overpowered in PVP? I'd find that hard to be believe.

Or maybe making charged bolts an instant and lowering the damage but having it apply plasma cell 100% of the time would work out well...

Dovahbrah
10.29.2012 , 08:15 AM | #576
Keep this bumped guys, get your class noticed: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=548897
Leaf - 50 Commando - The Fatman Notleaf - 50 Juggernaught - POT5
Leafe - 50 Shadow - The Fatman
Leafy - 50 Vanguard - The Fatman
Leafyy - 50 Sentinel - The Fatman

LeonHawkeye
10.29.2012 , 08:36 AM | #577
Done. Last month for me though, if no proper signs are shown by development, I am out of here. Re-rolling is not an acceptable solution to balance failure by the developers.

Lord_Karsk
10.29.2012 , 08:56 AM | #578
Quote: Originally Posted by Dovahbrah View Post
Keep this bumped guys, get your class noticed: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=548897
Just did it, because we know they never read this forum.And something tells me not 1 dev have ebver played those AC, because if they did they would now.

OldRepublicRevan
10.29.2012 , 09:24 AM | #579
Quote: Originally Posted by Mercury_Down View Post
I know this has been suggested before ....

Allowing Mercs/Commandos to cast certain abilities on the move (like grav round/charged bolts) would have next to no impact on PVE, but would it make them overpowered in PVP? I'd find that hard to be believe.

Or maybe making charged bolts an instant and lowering the damage but having it apply plasma cell 100% of the time would work out well...
God forbid a merc could free cast anything on the run. Too OP imo. Class needs to be nerfed more if you ask me.

Asturias
10.29.2012 , 01:06 PM | #580
Quote: Originally Posted by OldRepublicRevan View Post
God forbid a merc could free cast anything on the run. Too OP imo. Class needs to be nerfed more if you ask me.
Really, you think Merc's are to OP because you might be the first to say that since 1.2 hit scene.
Jung Ma RP-PvP server
Asturias (Main) Mercenary Fross Juggernaut (Alt)
Rhinus (Alt) Sith Assassin Bastion PvP Server
"Credits is what gets me motivated".