Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Having trouble with switching monitors and red screen of death

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Having trouble with switching monitors and red screen of death
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

KPureblade
10.28.2012 , 02:26 PM | #1
Hello,

I've been having an issue switching back and forth between my regular monitor at 1680x1050 resolution and my TV at 1080p resolution. My method for doing this has always been:

1. Close the game
2. Make the TV my primary monitor via windows
3. Relaunch the game
4. Fix the settings in game to 1080p

Same steps for switching back to my monitor. But lately when I do this, I've been getting a solid red/pink screen and can only hear the music in the background. When this happens I am forced to close the game.

To fix it, I've been going through and messing with the client_settings.ini file, but there's a problem with that too... everytime I touch that file, it deletes all of the contents of the settings folder, including all of my custom UI XML files. This is a huge pain having to reset every last thing everytime I want to switch monitors. The first time I just renamed the old client_settings.ini file to client_settings.ini.old, thinking it would just generate a new file with default settings. Well, it did, but it also purged the entire folder. The next time I simply editted the contents of that file to change the resolution manually, but to my surprise it also purged my entire directory.

What can I be doing differently? How can I prevent the red/pink screen of death? How can I prevent my settings folder from getting purged every time I try to reset the settings outside of the game?

Thanks for the help, spoiler tagged below is my DirectX info..

Spoiler

Beesodd
10.28.2012 , 04:04 PM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Thank you.

That is odd, and normally the XML files aren't wiped when a change is made to the client_settings file. Can I just check that you're adjusting the info at this location: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settin gs?

While we're best off getting to the bottom of this, while we do so one possible workaround for this is to make a copy of your GUIProfiles folder (found at the above location). Copy this once your UI is set how you'd like, and you can drop it back to it's former position when you need to.

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

KPureblade
10.28.2012 , 04:33 PM | #3
Yes, that is the correct location. For instance the first time when I renamed the client_settings.ini file to client_settings.ini.old and relaunched the game, it acted like it was the first time I had ever launched the game... the intro videos played, and it popped up the message about server mergers. When I went back to the location, even if ini.old file was gone.

Since this is surprising to you, I wonder if it is some sort of file permission issue? Can you tell me exactly what permissions this folder and contents needs for SWTOR to function correctly?

Beesodd
10.28.2012 , 05:16 PM | #4 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Thanks for the further info. Can I check, is the client_settings.ini.old file still present? If so, remove it. I've checked, and my settings folder is set to "Read only", while the individual files inside are not. Permissions for boath are set to Allow all except special permissions, with nothing Denied.

Perhaps a reset of your game client files might help. A quick and easy way to do this is to download and run the game installer again. You can get it from here:www.swtor.com/download. This will "reinstall" the game but won't download any fresh files(other than a launcher update).

I hope this helps.

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support