Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Willpower vs power

L-RANDLE
07.25.2012 , 02:35 PM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by JeffKretz View Post
Hmm. Maybe there is room for discussion.

Perhaps I misunderstood your argument. It sounds like you're referring to the Force Potency skill to add +60% to the crit chance.

To answer your question about SimC, here is the action list I used that modeled the DPS result.

"Recklessness" is the Sorcerer equivalent of Force Potency, so it is in the rotation.
Glad we can discuss more... I am not a programmer,a this rotation is exactly why I question stuff like this. It looks like Force Lightning is "eating up" both Reckless charges. Its like me using FP to guarantee a crit hit on TK throw. Can you confirm this or can you change the next sequence to "Chain Lightning" and rerun each test?

Yes, I am sure my argument was misunderstood. I am accused of "talking in code" alot, but the fact that force potency/recklessness exists makes willpower's contribution moot in the normalized area of the SimC result. But what about the unnormalized portion?

Questionable + Moot = Take Burst(POW)
PvP Gear Viability? Read this first.
Tired of being broke? Stop being Felica and read this.
I'm not trying to be Rambo..... I'm trying to be Ray Tango

Khevar
07.25.2012 , 03:21 PM | #62
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with the "actions" instructions of SimC to fiddle with it -- this was taken straight off their site as the "Best in Slot" dps test for gear.

However, I would encourage you to fiddle with the program. It's primary use is to compare gear changes one to the next. My "theoretical" gunsligner rotation according to SimC was like 1302 as a Fresh 50 with Tionese/Columi and I don't get anywhere near that. But when I tweak my gear, re-run the simulation and see that it went up to 1382, I knew my gear choices were good.

Then in game I get a similar increase of dps, even if I'm not actually hitting the same numbers.

Aurojiin
07.26.2012 , 12:29 AM | #63
That instruction list basically says the following:

1. If a Lightning Barrage or Lightning Storm proc is available, and Recklessness is up, use Recklessness.

2. If Lightning Barrage is available, use Force Lightning. If Lightning Storm is available, use Chain Lightning.

Consider that the majority of the times the simulation loops through that priority list, it won't use Recklessness/Force Potency because of the cooldown. But when it is available, it checks if the most efficient options for consuming Potency are up then uses it appropriately.

In short, the sims fully account for the effect of Force Potency on DPS. Given the hundreds of attacks you perform over a fight, the ability does not significantly devalue the benefits of crit chance.

CJNJ
10.27.2012 , 02:45 AM | #64
Because somebody just made another thread on this I figured I would bump it

anthrobeau
10.28.2012 , 01:29 PM | #65
I read most of this thread, and thought there was something missing from this discussion. I apologize if this has already been addressed.

While simulations may prove the relative weight each stat should be given, deciding on actual pieces of gear presents unique choices. For instance, it may be better to go for a mod with 53 WP and 41 Power instead of 61 WP and 11 crit. Since it's theoretically possible to have 30 extra power by sacrificing 8 WP (per mod), is it better to stack power?

Aurojiin
10.28.2012 , 01:36 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by anthrobeau View Post
While simulations may prove the relative weight each stat should be given, deciding on actual pieces of gear presents unique choices. For instance, it may be better to go for a mod with 53 WP and 41 Power instead of 61 WP and 11 crit. Since it's theoretically possible to have 30 extra power by sacrificing 8 WP (per mod), is it better to stack power?
That choice is pretty straightforward. Always use unlettered mods, because the lettered variety have a lower stat budget and thus are inferior outright.
Aisev -:- Seer Sage Si'ki -:- Darkness Assassin

SoonerJBD
10.28.2012 , 01:39 PM | #67
What you are talking about is the lettered mods. And the answer is, no, you don't want lettered mods. Willpower is better than power point-for-point, but the lettered mods make you sacrifice about 2 secondary stat points for one point of Willpower. One point of willpower is not worth two points of power.

The question about what is better point-for-point is really only relevant when it comes to augments because that is the only time you are making a 1 for 1 trade between main stat and power. If the choice is 1 main stat or 2 power (as it is for lettered mods), take the power. If the choice is 1 main stat or 1 power (as it is for augments), take main stat.