Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

1.4 Assassin Tanking (PvE) Question

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
1.4 Assassin Tanking (PvE) Question

WillCaedes
10.18.2012 , 04:42 PM | #1
Alright, so I love tanking and most of my toons are tanks or specc'd into tanking. I've got most of my experience with a Juggernaut tank. Anyways, a couple of days ago I rolled an Assassin Tank to see what the rage was with them, needless to say it didn't take long to see how friggin awesome a Utility(CC's)+AoE+Stealth type tank would be.

But I do have a question regarding spec's, as I don't fully understand how an Assassin tank works yet (but I am testing!) I would like someone to look over a theorized spec I created for myself while leveling

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rIrskbskfsZbZb.2

Questions:
1) Will this be a viable tank spec to tank HM's at end-game?
2) Will this be a viable tank spec to tank Operations at end-game?
3) Would I be able to PvP (if I get bored enough) with this spec?
4) Do you have any suggestions or changes you think would benefit this spec?

Thanks.

MasterFeign
10.18.2012 , 07:39 PM | #2
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200McrkkrskrsZZf0cM.2

That's my build. Most tanks use the 10 points in madness as I did. My tank is more defensive than offensive (with the options available). I generally let the DPS do the DPSing and when PvPing, the 5% extra damage I get from the armour bonus for guarding someone is useful.

The increase in damage for thrashing blades is too minimal, and you'd only really be using thrash as lacerate is more for pvp and to stop a team from capping.

Putting two in Preomonition is also useful. Putting 31 as the minimum is generally best I find.

Putting 3 in shroud of darkness, at least for starting out as a fresh 50 is a very minimal gain in HP.

Essentially with my build there are 3 points you can play around with if you really want to. The two in Nerve wracking and the one in electric execution.

WillCaedes
10.18.2012 , 10:10 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterFeign View Post
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200McrkkrskrsZZf0cM.2

That's my build. Most tanks use the 10 points in madness as I did. My tank is more defensive than offensive (with the options available). I generally let the DPS do the DPSing and when PvPing, the 5% extra damage I get from the armour bonus for guarding someone is useful.

The increase in damage for thrashing blades is too minimal, and you'd only really be using thrash as lacerate is more for pvp and to stop a team from capping.

Putting two in Preomonition is also useful. Putting 31 as the minimum is generally best I find.

Putting 3 in shroud of darkness, at least for starting out as a fresh 50 is a very minimal gain in HP.

Essentially with my build there are 3 points you can play around with if you really want to. The two in Nerve wracking and the one in electric execution.
Thanks, I'm going to tweak my starting spec a bit and try to run with that. Currently at level 14, so I don't to see any major change pop out at me lol.

Question tho, why not 3 points into the +1% Endurance tho? Is it just not worth it in the long run or do the other choices overpower the benefits the percentages would give you?

Edit 2:

Never mind, you answered that. Lol.

MantorokTwelve
10.19.2012 , 10:31 AM | #4
http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rIRRkrskbsZZf00M.2

That's what I use for PVE. Unless they fixed it, chain shock likes to use both charges of recklessness when you have 2 available, so I can't pop recklessness until I have 3 stacks of harnessed darkness, which I feel slows down my healing. I don't see my threat generation falling off much without chain shock, even when running with dps with some 63 mods.

I disagree on the sentiment that lacerate is useless, it's your best AOE threat generation when wither and discharge are on cooldown, plus it's more likely to proc than thrash/assassinate when you can hit 2 enemies with it. Nerve wracking is nigh useless in PVE, as it only works on enemies that can be affected by physics (i.e. trash). If it did work on bosses, that would be absolutely the biggest gift bioware could give us as tanks, it'd be a mini-bloodthirst every 30 seconds (or pretty much every burst phase).

I would recommend having a spec for PVP and one for PVE, don't try to have a spec versatile for both. It won't be good at either.

Chaqen
10.19.2012 , 10:31 AM | #5
Darksin's are very cookie cutter, and once you're geared i really see only one build as being viable and that is. You maximize your endurance, for a greater TTK, as well providing yourself higher self heals. The double shock from madness is very over powered, with the second shock benefiting from the threat increase from the darkness tree.

MasterFeign
10.19.2012 , 03:39 PM | #6
Chaqen's build is probably the best for an all out defensive build. You don't really benefit too much from the 3% more HP until you get Rakata survivor gear. So if you have 25000 before buffs, you can get a 750+ HP bonus, which can be a life saver I suppose.

RIght now what you want to do is get to 31 as soon as possible (level 40) then change and fill in what you think you want.

NemesisSupreme
10.28.2012 , 09:26 AM | #7
I noticed that everyone puts 2 points to reduce the cost of shock and wondering why do that instead of the 1% max heath on periodic dmg crits. Is crushing darkness not useful at endgame, or does it not crit that often?

MasterFeign
10.28.2012 , 12:56 PM | #8
I've been told (and I tested it myself) where the 1% critted heals don't work. I'm not sure why, but I even specced up to 11 in Madness as a test, and with deathfield it didn't do anything. You won't be using crushing darkness at all in your rotation as a tankassin. I think the only time I use it is on the 2nd last boss of EV (where they come out of statis as soon as you attack them, but that's only once during the beginning).

As a tankassin you tend to consume a lot of force fast (especially if you don't use any saber strikes in your rotation), so it helps for it to cost slightly less. Some tankassins don't really even use thrash at all that much as it does consume a lot of force.