Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Question about the Terror from Beyond.

metalguyj
10.25.2012 , 06:01 PM | #1
As a tank, in the second phase, should I be helping to bring down the tentacles during the tank switch? Boss enraged twice. Ive successfully killed the boss once and that was with an overgeared group.

dominius
10.25.2012 , 06:30 PM | #2
If you can ensure that you can get to your tanking position in time I don't see any problem with helping out on tentacles.
Guildmaster of
Elitist Isolationists
Website | Forums | The Harbinger
Domineus || Malego || Trotsky || Ava'rus

Synavix
10.25.2012 , 07:20 PM | #3
Assuming you are getting through p1 tentacles without either them or the boss hitting his p1 enrage, I'd be looking more towards your strategy/execution than anything else. The DPS required for each is pretty close to the same. If anything, p2 should be a little bit easier because there is less RNG to deal with regarding acid drops or adds.

The amount of DPS you could add to a tentacle is very, very minimal, and far more risk than its worth.

metaIsaber
10.26.2012 , 09:23 AM | #4
So what you are really saying is DPS is not doing their job? Perhaps your group should be in a parser and see who's not carrying their load? I think you are asking for trouble if you want to go down there and help dps.

Blinkinsage
10.26.2012 , 11:28 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by metaIsaber View Post
So what you are really saying is DPS is not doing their job? Perhaps your group should be in a parser and see who's not carrying their load? I think you are asking for trouble if you want to go down there and help dps.
AGREED. We pugged a sage dps that said he was putting out 1400 DPS. We of course didnt believe him but we tried him anyway because the hybrid PVE spec is actually really good. Come to find out he wasnt even pushing 1100. Use the tools provided and make the necessary changes to down bosses.

( come to find out the sage was beating on the lowest lvl dummy, not the raid dummy. another reason for people to PROVE their dps)

Mavery
10.26.2012 , 11:37 AM | #6
While it is certainly plausible to assist in DPS on the tentacles, it will not make a significant difference as far as the enrage goes.

If you are struggling with the enrage it comes down to either i) DPSers aren't pulling their weight or ii) the strategy does not maximize DPS appropriately.
Elidibs Draconis, Kinetic Shadow
Yup, I'm back. Miss me?

metalguyj
10.26.2012 , 12:30 PM | #7
Yeah I think it was a combination of not killing both tentacles during phase one at the same time, and people dying during the second phase and not damaging the tentacles, and some people having bad gear. Me and the other tank were calling out percentages on mumble so people could switch or stop.

Chaqen
10.26.2012 , 03:12 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by metalguyj View Post
... people dying during the second phase and not damaging the tentacles...
Cant have people dying on 8 man and be successful on this fight, i am sure it is the same in 16 man. There is a little bit of a window of allowing a dps to be down for maybe 10 to 25 seconds if the rest of the dps are rather strong, but it just becomes an issue rather quick.

dominius
10.26.2012 , 05:28 PM | #9
The basic approach I think most people take is to just kill the tentacles in phase 1 when they're both under 10%. It doesn't have to be exact but if you kill them within 10% of each other then you won't hit the phase 1 enrage.

For phase 2, people dying is a huge loss of DPS so if someone does die you need to be up there and ready to rez before their body even shows up so you can get them up immediately.

For doing this on hard mode and beating the phase 2 enrage you can help this by controlling when the Anomalies spawn. You should you send all of your DPS to one tentacle and drop it to 75% then send out your Anomaly killer(s). By the time the first Anomaly dies the tentacle should be at 50% and the 2nd Anomaly will spawn. Once that first tentacle gets to 50% everyone should switch to the next tentacle. If you get the timing right you can have your Anomaly killer(s) killing all four Anomalies without any down time and then they can go back to helping kill the tentacles. There is a ton of wasted DPS time if your Anomaly killer(s) has to go between Anomalies and the tentacles or is standing around waiting for the next one to spawn.
Guildmaster of
Elitist Isolationists
Website | Forums | The Harbinger
Domineus || Malego || Trotsky || Ava'rus