Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Uluain
10.26.2012 , 03:20 PM | #2621
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I think Captain may be referring to the Question of The Day, not the one with Mr. Amatangelo. I wonder if Mr. Amatangelo is available for comment...
Oh! I need to read with more care. So he is.

And yes, it was.

That was the incident (both the highlighting of companion romances when we still have NO IDEA how or who this is going to work out) that put me in such an ugly mood the other day. (Courtney Woods was able to cheer me up a bit by accepting my nomination of Ixum's movie poster thread for the Round-Up. That was as a compromise as she couldn't persuade them to run the skimped male attire thread the week before.)

I am feeling a little more even-keeled right now. Not a great deal more happy, mind, but less angry.

I do seriously question the intent behind encouraging us to keep asking here. I mean, I could see if they can't say anything, that at least wanting us to know we are free to discuss it could be meant to send an encouraging message.

But given that this thread is so out of the way that new players routinely fail to find it and given that it has never in ten months, 7,500+ posts and 500,000+ views gotten an answer, being shunted back here seems, in a word, callous.

Tatile
10.26.2012 , 03:23 PM | #2622
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
But given that this thread is so out of the way that new players routinely fail to find it and given that it has never in ten months, 7,500+ posts and 500,000+ views gotten an answer, being shunted back here seems, in a word, callous.
Like with the Question of the Day, they're likely typing without thinking. Ignorance isn't exactly a defense, but I can't help but take a rather dim view of the Community Team at this point in time.

Uluain
10.26.2012 , 03:31 PM | #2623
Yeah, the QotD was just that, thoughtless.

Redirecting us here and encouraging us to keep asking? I don't know. There is a message there, but it's too subtle to read, or too distorted by the frustration and disappointment to hear. I want to give the benefit of the doubt. I think they're good people, I do. But really, in this day and age, it shouldn't have to be an issue at all.

There is no good reason why SGRs should not have as many threads as chat bubbles or hood toggles or paid transfers, across the forums. If there are hostile posts, so what? That is why there are policies against discriminatory or abusive speech. We don't need to be wrapped up in tissue paper and put aside in a little box like an antique china doll.

And if it is for Community Support's convenience that we are put in a disadvantageous position, well, who's getting paid for this again? Who's paying? Hm?

fabiyun
10.26.2012 , 03:32 PM | #2624
Quote: Originally Posted by Eleuril View Post
I know it's been done for Bastila/female Revan. I'm trying to work out if I can tinker with the save files to allow it for male Revan somehow. Computer literate I am not, so it's a slow process and I couldn't properly mod it myself.

We know it's going to be in SWTOR at some point. It's the lack of information that's been driving us all mad. I really do hope it's not going to disappoint when it's implemented.
It would really help if they were clear about what we can expect. There's been contradicting information out there, that was often immediately retracted (ie deleted). To me that tells me that they're likely not sure yet on how they'll implement it. Which makes it all the more obvious that we are very low priority, and they'll do something sometime when it's convenient and easy to implement. But untill that time everything's subject to change. And that makes me feel like I'm being treated as a second rate person. Obviously not treated equally. But when pressed on it, they'll suddenly pretend to be waving our banners. Which is a double betrayel, a stab in the back. I was baffled at that post coming in my FB stream about companion romances. And the articles shocked me as well. For a second I thought I had missed it in the game somehow, but then it became obvious the information was simply wrong. Enfuriating how little consideration there is for our community. And of course they're unaware, I know that, they're only heterosexual living their heteronormal lives, they probably never meet lgbt people and they don't have a clue what our lives are like. So I'm upset, but I cool down. It's not anymore inconsiderate than regular encounters in life.

But BW do take a clue, this is hitting some sore spots here, and we really want to know what is going to happen. Currently we don't experience the game equally, this is hurtful. We're being held on a leash with some soonTM and some snips. But you do like us to keep paying for a game that we are excluded from. So at least have the decency to share what we can expect. It's not just about story, it's unfortunately about more than that. And that is so because you excluded us from the beginning. So you've created this point we're at now. Fix it.

What I like to know:
How will SGR be implemented? Will we see new companions? If so, for what classes? Companions now come at different levels, will we be seeing SGR companions at certain level points? At which then? Or will you add SGR for existing companions? If so for which? And will you be changing the levels for those companions? What will happen with NPCs and flirting? If a toon has passed the level for an SGR will it go retroactive?

I think these questions can be answered without spoiling any new companions or new stories. So why is it impossible to show some courtesy to a group you've clearly neglected and continue to ignore. I hope we'll be able to leave all this behind us when SGR has finally been implented. I hope most of your playerbase will still be with you at that point, I do, this game would be fantastic if it only had SGR inclusion.
"..the worst kind of DARTH one can dig up!"

Tatile
10.26.2012 , 03:42 PM | #2625
Quote:
Hello Ms. Berryman,

Just a quick question. After Free2Play drops live (I am expecting next week, as apparently "fall" is US-English for November), can we expect to see more coverage of Makeb? I believe Makeb was slated for release in 2012, and following a six-week release schedule, I've estimated the next content patch to be in the second week of December (around the 11th).

And yes, given Mr. Amatengelo's statement that same-sex content will be with Makeb, this is related to the Same Sex Discussions thread. I also propose to change the name of the Same Sex Clarifications? thread to the "Same Sex Romances Discussion Thread", seeing as nothing has been clarified in that thread, nor has there ever been any movement by Bioware to post clarifications in that thread. The name is, therefore, inherently misleading, as it implies that Bioware has intentions of explaining the nuances of same-sex content with their player base.

Regards.
Eh. *shrugs* What's the worst that's going to happen? Thread's name gets changed?

Uluain
10.26.2012 , 04:16 PM | #2626
Quote: Originally Posted by Spatology View Post
Any news you get wont suffice. This is the sentiment i would take from the thousands of pages of post here.
Then you must be skimming, and not see the specific unaswered questions we are wanting addressed:

• Will same-gender relationships be available with current companions?
  • If so, with which?
  • Will same-gender relationships be available for all eight classes?
  • If not, with which?
  • Will new relationship options be available to characters who have already fully progressed companion stories?
  • Is the awaited same-gender content on the schedule to be released with Makeb?
  • Are we still on track to see that content this year?
  • Will same-gender romance require an in-game credit or cartel coin (or any other similar) expense to unlock?

As I have said as often as I have listed these, answers to any would be appreciated. Answering all would suffice for the purposes of this thread.

Now go troll the chat bubble or secret space mission or barber shop or paid transfer people, 'kay? Thanks. Bye.

Noremacv
10.26.2012 , 04:34 PM | #2627
At this point, I'm on the verge of starting a thread demanding some info, reposting it once they close the first, and reposting it again once they close the second if need be. This lack of info is getting to be quite ridiculous.

Prior to coming back to this thread, I was willing to defend BioWare as much as reasonably possible. The mood and attitude of the posters in here, coupled with the lack of any information from anyone in-the-know (and has been posted, there have to have been people in-the-know even by the pre-launch point in development), has put me in a position of being just as willing to criticize as the rest of the people posting here regularly.

Even after F2P goes live, I intend to continue my subscription. Why? Because I hate some the F2P restrictions quite frankly, but more importantly because I love this game. I anxiously awaited this game for 3 years, didn't even care about Christmas last year because this game's launch day may as well have been my Christmas (thank you, BioWare <3), and to this day I continue to defend it against haters and doubters, and continue to enjoy this game almost as much as I was on day 1. I doubt I'm the only person in this game's player base that feels this way. So why are loyal gamers and subscribers like us still being left in the dark on such a highly demanded aspect of the game, one that's been included in past BW games and will likely make it into future ones at launch?

Many of us are sick of waiting, and your silence isn't helping defend you from any possible perspective, BioWare. Might not be a bad idea to let us know something significant to this topic before you cause irreparable damage to your reputation as one of the best game developers out there. At least in the eyes of the LGBT community, plus any additional gamers that would advocate for them.
55 Sith Juggernaut 55 Sith Marauder
55 Sith Assassin 55 Sith Sorcerer
55 Powertech

MoogleNut
10.26.2012 , 04:38 PM | #2628
Just a quickie before I head off to my bed - there is a mod for Kotor that allows male Revan to romance Carth - I can't remember the exact name of the mod but a quick Google should find it relatively easily.

Speaking of DA2, I accidentally, erm procured Serendipity's services at the Rose with my completely ladies only Lady Hawke. I head-canon it so they sit around and play cards for a few hours - Serendipity gets the night off and Lady Hawke gets to keep Isabela guessing hehe.

As an addendum to that - the player's visit to the rose is actually the cause of the now infamous 'Awkward' line at Serendipity's presence in the Assassin DLC. That line was only supposed to trigger if Hawke had, um, befriended many of the Rose's workers - including Serendipity herself. Serendipity then says how they're 'all looking forward to seeing Hawke again soon' or some such hence Talis' 'Awkward'. lt related to Talis being privy to Hawke's personal business, not the presence of Serendipity.
The writer was mortified when the scene played out the way it did without the correct trigger - purely a slip-up in crafting the dialogue tree not meant as any slight on serendipity as a character. And really, with the DA team's track record when it comes to LGBT characters,I never even suspected it was anything but a mistake, but totally understand how distressing it was at the time for many people.

Aand since I've had to re-write every other word, I really should go to bed now

Baptes
10.26.2012 , 04:45 PM | #2629
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
Then you must be skimming, and not see the specific unaswered questions we are wanting addressed:

• Will same-gender relationships be available with current companions?
  • If so, with which?
  • Will same-gender relationships be available for all eight classes?
  • If not, with which?
  • Will new relationship options be available to characters who have already fully progressed companion stories?
  • Is the awaited same-gender content on the schedule to be released with Makeb?
  • Are we still on track to see that content this year?
  • Will same-gender romance require an in-game credit or cartel coin (or any other similar) expense to unlock?

As I have said as often as I have listed these, answers to any would be appreciated. Answering all would suffice for the purposes of this thread.

Now go troll the chat bubble or secret space mission or barber shop or paid transfer people, 'kay? Thanks. Bye.
Kind of sad the only attention we get is to clear away the trolls.

*sigh*

Damn I'm just tired of it all. Grats BW you wore me down, at least for today. That's an accomplishment considering what a stubborn {bleep} I am. I don't even feel like logging on at all.

Uluain
10.26.2012 , 04:48 PM | #2630
Quote: Originally Posted by Noremacv View Post
At this point, I'm on the verge of starting a thread demanding some info, reposting it once they close the first, and reposting it again once they close the second if need be. This lack of info is getting to be quite ridiculous.
Go for it.

As long as they decline to close every redundant thread on every popular topic and penalize the person who next opens a thread on that topic, I don't see how they can stop us from posting where we like without running afoul of their own guidelines against harrasment or discriminatory behavior.

Do be aware, however, that re-posting a closed topic can earn an infraction. If you feel that is a reasonable consequence and choose to post anyway, that's your call, and Henry David Thoreau would salute you.

I have no problem with policies applied evenly and fairly. Policies applied selectively to some topics and not to others are, of course, something quite different, and I think the Community Support team needs to think very carefully about that.