Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sorcerer or Assassin to level with Juggernaut

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Sorcerer or Assassin to level with Juggernaut

IainJames
10.25.2012 , 09:22 AM | #1
Hi guys,

Sorry if this thread has been posted before but what would you recommend playing to level with a Juggernaut? I played the Sorcerer previously to mid 20's but found it got a bit dull (seemed to be the same rotation though I was just using lightning). The Assassin looks like fun but the Juggernaut can already take care of tanking.

Is the Sorcerer a viable DPS class? I've seen a lot of threads with people complaining about Sorcerer DPS being lacking and the alternatives (Merc/Operative) seem to have a lot of whine threads about their DPS sucking too. I don't have a preference playing ranged/melee. I would have liked to play a ranged healer but all the forum posts about the ranged classes DPS being nerfed puts me off.
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."

Albert Einstein

Indignatron
10.25.2012 , 03:41 PM | #2
If you're leveling with a Juggernaut who is reasonably good at the job of tanking either class is really a good option. Currently I level my Juggernaut alongside a DPS Deception Assassin and we do extremely well as a unit and are able to actually take on Heroic 4s (at least up to Taris so far and aside from early game where gear/tanking abilities are limited) with just the two of us with limited issues. As a Sorc I imagine it would be very similar except healing would also be readily available making things even easier, but I don't have much experience regarding DPS Sorcs.
The Shadowlands

Ulýsses | Tyrfing | Kavarin | Tahnia | Marelda | Elýse
Angantyr | Hollande | Cilas | Cairine | Indignatus | Digotz

ShupFace
10.25.2012 , 08:12 PM | #3
I play a Sorcerer and my brother plays a Juggernaut and we're having a great time. We're on Hoth at the moment and still able to do 4 man heroics with just the two of us.

verfallen
10.26.2012 , 01:48 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Indignatron View Post
If you're leveling with a Juggernaut who is reasonably good at the job of tanking either class is really a good option. Currently I level my Juggernaut alongside a DPS Deception Assassin and we do extremely well as a unit and are able to actually take on Heroic 4s (at least up to Taris so far and aside from early game where gear/tanking abilities are limited) with just the two of us with limited issues. As a Sorc I imagine it would be very similar except healing would also be readily available making things even easier, but I don't have much experience regarding DPS Sorcs.
All H4 can be 2 manned pretty much safe a few, if a player is either a tank or a healer.

2 dps class with healer comp will struggle on SOME harder H4, but very few.

Now, a real healer/tank combo will shine by 2 manning flashpoints. At this point, you really need player handled tanking and healing.

Sorc DPS main is : LESS than average single target burst compensated by very good AoE sustained damage. VERY useful is some key points in some flashpoints (Kaon under siege and the turret anyone?)

So the best I'd say would be sorc/jug. Even if you level as dps, you will still have the option to re-spec heals, something the assassin won't have.

Also, you will eventually encounter fights where the tank won't be able to keep all threat on him due to fight mechanics (aoe, untauntable enemies etc) healer companion won't be able to keep up a squishy assassin and the tank in those fights.

In the end, both really WILL work. If you want to play a deception assassin because sorc sounds meh to you (it IS a casting class, while assassin is more up-and-personal with less casting, something many prefer) if you manage slightly your companions, you'll succeed in all the heroic in the game, safe maybe breakthrough on belsavis. You can still offtank tougher fight with a shield generator and dark charge, altough less than before since the armor/self heal nerf to that, but enough to take a strong on you with a taunt.

And getting 2 people to join you guys remain an option

TL;DR

Both can work, as people above me mentionned
Jug/Sorc is however more flexible and has better potential due to re-spec to heal possibility
Sorc DPS itself is AoE strong, single target less potent (thats however a personnal option, I'm not an hardcore parser)