Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Merc is TERRIBLE

Anishor
10.25.2012 , 03:55 PM | #491
Quote: Originally Posted by Phasersablaze View Post
I disagree with the first part. I have had BIS gear for months and I can tell you that now, even when I'm 100% left alone I am not OP. Id say Max dps for a 14 minute voidstar is about 700k depending on how noobish the enemy is about grouping together while you DFA. That really doesn't hold a candle to the potential of a Rage/Smashfest Marauder. I also have noticed that its a lot harder to kill a good healer now.

No...I don't think we would be OP even if everyone left us alone. I don't even think we would be balanced yet. It would take un-nerfing tracer millise and giving us back the 8k HSM in addition to giving us some type of defense against mele to bring us back in line. Just thinking of what my recruit/Battlemaster geared Deception assasin can do in 3 global cooldowns is insane compared to Merc burst DPS. And our susstained is very poor compared to our PT brothers, and Marauders, Snipers, and good Sins/Sorcs for that matter.

The only thing I agree with in your post is that we fall over like a deck of cards when Mele attack us, yet we have nothing to counter this or the ability to shut down any other AC in a simmilar fashon. Basically, Mercs are FUBAR unless you are overgeared and queing against random noob PUGs.
Gunnery is meant to be Single target DPS no? But one of my biggest points, which I admit was hard to see because of poor formatting is that building the spec around grav round and trace missile just doesn't seem very iconic. I think an uninterruptible unload would be what I would balance the tree around, and add back an AOE version of it.
Penumbral, Jung Ma server
Sranishor ( Vengeance *main* ) Sran'ishor ( Marauder *alt* )
PVP Officer
"My passion and the force shows me more than your eyes ever could."

Phasersablaze
10.25.2012 , 05:50 PM | #492
I think the class should be built around Heat-seeker missile. I think we should have more ways wind up and build its power and then bang 10k HSM. I don't think anyone could claim that's OP either considering the 5-7k Smashes in War Hero geared Players.

Unload is kind of a blah ability in my mind. HSM looks sweet and is instant cast. I think it should be like how deception assassins build up their debuffs for shock. Make HSM hit 5k without being buffed, 10k with.

That would make the class really fun IMO, plus having the best burst in the game would make us valuable in Ranked for Killing healers. Pyro PTs can't do it as well as before with the range nerf.

cashogy
10.25.2012 , 06:37 PM | #493
I think the class should be built around Heat-seeker missile. I think we should have more ways wind up and build its power and then bang 10k HSM. I don't think anyone could claim that's OP either considering the 5-7k Smashes in War Hero geared Players.

Unload is kind of a blah ability in my mind. HSM looks sweet and is instant cast. I think it should be like how deception assassins build up their debuffs for shock. Make HSM hit 5k without being buffed, 10k with.

That would make the class really fun IMO, plus having the best burst in the game would make us valuable in Ranked for Killing healers. Pyro PTs can't do it as well as before with the range nerf.
yes, an ability that can easily do 7-8k damage (ive had a 9k unload before even) is a blah ability

*this* is the kind of suggestion that would make merc OP. the point is to BALANCE merc, not continue to god forsaken merry-go-round of nerfs/buffs.

Phasersablaze
10.25.2012 , 07:13 PM | #494
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
yes, an ability that can easily do 7-8k damage (ive had a 9k unload before even) is a blah ability

*this* is the kind of suggestion that would make merc OP. the point is to BALANCE merc, not continue to god forsaken merry-go-round of nerfs/buffs.
Yeah it is a blah ability. Mele have a bazillion ways to deflect/mitigate white damage. Snipers always dodge unload and Rail-Shot. Its a terrible ability to be built around because its only really good at killing Sorcs.

cashogy
10.25.2012 , 07:14 PM | #495
Yeah it is a blah ability. Mele have a bazillion ways to deflect/mitigate white damage. Snipers always dodge unload and Rail-Shot. Its a terrible ability to be built around because its only really good at killing Sorcs.

Phasersablaze
10.25.2012 , 07:21 PM | #496
There is no way you can say a 10k HSM would be OP when Mele are smashing for up to 10k on up to 8 targets. That's completely inconsistent by any standard.

Unload is channeled, where HSM is instant. Mandos do tech damage and HSM is a tech ability. To me, HSM should be our iconic hard-hitting ability not unload. What else could be more iconic to a DPS ranged caster than a big critting spell? A channeled ability is just ick filler.

cashogy
10.25.2012 , 07:48 PM | #497
There is no way you can say a 10k HSM would be OP when Mele are smashing for up to 10k on up to 8 targets. That's completely inconsistent by any standard.
5 enemies
up to 7k damage

hsm is fine. merc damage output is absolutely fine. the problem with the class has nothing to do with damage output, and when people like this guy spew crap like this it makes it appear as if mercs are simply whining for their turn on the merry-go-round of nerfs.

we need utility/mobility, and we need it badly

Phasersablaze
10.25.2012 , 08:35 PM | #498
5 enemies
up to 7k damage

hsm is fine. merc damage output is absolutely fine. the problem with the class has nothing to do with damage output,
Well then I'm sorry but you are just wrong. When I have to have 3 stacks of tracer debuff and not be attacking a heavy armored person to get a 5k hit THAT IS A PROBLEM. Mele can do over 5k on MULTIPLE targets without batting an eye. Our burst is FUBAR compared to other dps classes and if you think we have good sustained compared to other DPS then you are delusional. Even if we were untargetable 100% of the time we would not be in line with other DPS. We need A LOT more than just utility.

cashogy
10.25.2012 , 08:54 PM | #499
Well then I'm sorry but you are just wrong. When I have to have 3 stacks of tracer debuff and not be attacking a heavy armored person to get a 5k hit THAT IS A PROBLEM. Mele can do over 5k on MULTIPLE targets without batting an eye. Our burst is FUBAR compared to other dps classes and if you think we have good sustained compared to other DPS then you are delusional. Even if we were untargetable 100% of the time we would not be in line with other DPS. We need A LOT more than just utility.
by melee, you mean smash specd jugg/maras. not all melee classes can do what you are talking about. this is pretty widely considered over-balanced right now, hopefully the devs tone it back down to what it was previously. asking to be balanced around an overpowered ability is only going to perpetuate the massive imalances in this game, which nobody wants

merc damage is fine. hsm can hit for nearly 5k, often for 4-4.5k, rail shot is around 4k, unload is 7-8k, and tracer missiles still crits for >2k easily. its operator error if you cannot keep pace with dps output of other classes under optimal circumstances

btw, sniper can do 5k damage a tick to ALL enemies with the aoe from Orbital Strike (close to 15k total), why are you not also crying about that?

Phasersablaze
10.25.2012 , 09:07 PM | #500
by melee, you mean smash specd jugg/maras. not all melee classes can do what you are talking about. this is pretty widely considered over-balanced right now, hopefully the devs tone it back down to what it was previously. asking to be balanced around an overpowered ability is only going to perpetuate the massive imalances in this game, which nobody wants

merc damage is fine. hsm can hit for nearly 5k, often for 4-4.5k, rail shot is around 4k, unload is 7-8k, and tracer missiles still crits for >2k easily. its operator error if you cannot keep pace with dps output of other classes under optimal circumstances

btw, sniper can do 5k damage a tick to ALL enemies with the aoe from Orbital Strike (close to 15k total), why are you not also crying about that?
In a good long 14 min Voidstar I can break 600k damage. Thats pretty good for a merc. A PT Pyro can do that by spamming 2 abilities. You want to explain my operator error hmm? My assassin can kill someone in 4 global cooldowns from stealth. You really think Merc burst damage is OK?