Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LogicLoup
10.24.2012 , 02:54 PM | #1911
(( Augh... so behind on responses By way of apology, I offer another chunk of Maneera — I swear, someday she'll catch up to her class story! ))

Title: Installing Windows to the Soul
Prompt: Xenobiology
Character: Maneera Sindri
Timeframe: Pre-game (5 BTC)
Spoilers: none
Spoiler

"I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

Tatile
10.24.2012 , 03:22 PM | #1912
LogicLoup:
Spoiler

LogicLoup
10.24.2012 , 04:03 PM | #1913
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
LogicLoup:
Spoiler
Spoiler

"I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

Striges
10.24.2012 , 07:58 PM | #1914
So, catching up with commentary after drive-by posting (running late!) this morning:

@ Vesaniae: Sometimes those “best days” are the ones you see only in hindsight. Intersting interpretation.

@ Bright: You, making up for a rash of Quinn-death? Really, though, I especially liked Quinn acknowledging his ‘dispassionate awareness’. He can’t be any other way or he wouldn’t be Quinn.

@ Elliotcat: Poor Khem. Meenah and friends are just way too jolly for him. And I agree—‘brooding spot’ was pure win. Polar opposite of happy place for Mr. Angst.

@ Kabeone: Grinned all the way through. I love how the plot developed, with everyone ascribing ulterior motives to Amilla.

@ Morgani: I really love Aurai’s story. Her perspective, the way its told, everything. Very much enjoy reading about her.

@ Tatile: Reaction and overreaction to the lovely flavor of sunscreen—hilarious.

@ LogicLoup:
Spoiler

Since I didn’t have time to include the chronology in my original post (will edit) Hallucinations occurs shortly before We Belong.

elliotcat
10.24.2012 , 09:13 PM | #1915
Week of 10/24/12
Disguises - Sometimes our characters have to gain entry to places that it's not easy to get into. What's a good strategy? A disguise, of course! Write about a time in which your character had to pretend to be someone or something else, and how they dealt with trying to be convincing.
Worlds Colliding - Our characters fly all over the galaxy and meet people from many different worlds - metaphorically and literally. Relationships, friendships, and partnerships can develop, which often results in those two very different spheres of living coming together - which can be tough to navigate. Write about a time when your character's world met up with another's, and how they reacted.

"We will snatch purpose from the jaws of futility...are you ready to wreak some havoc?"[/SIZE]

bright_ephemera
10.25.2012 , 06:15 AM | #1916
@Striges I figured there was a thought process for analytical Quinn, and I don't know whether there's anything to it, but (SW spoilers)
Spoiler

As for Sha'ra'zaed, I love Watcher X's commentary. It's very him.

@LogicLoup Eee, Maneera adventures! I look forward to seeing where she's going.

@Tatile Sunscreen. I laughed out loud, especially at the prospect of tasting it for the first time...ah, reliving that first 'Yuck what did I just put my tongue in!?' (Um...that's not just me. <.< Right? >.> )

@Morgani I have a thing for smugglers arranging their own destinies. And Aurai's canny about it.

Something for Colliding Worlds is already taking shape. Think think brain brain
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

bright_ephemera
10.25.2012 , 08:08 AM | #1917
Worlds Colliding is perfect for the vague direction I had for Colran Niral. 850 words, no spoilers.

Spoiler

Notes:
Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

kabeone
10.25.2012 , 01:05 PM | #1918
@Striges so much delicious detail, analysis of the environment, the fight, anatomy, just everything, and I love the inner Watcher X narrative and Vector's "anatomy of an aura." Most excellent! (I shudder at what Lokin is doing with the brainwave analysis... I really do)

@Morgani <3 Aurai so much and this:
Spoiler

I was so happy for her because she found something she loved and finally understood something about her husband. Closure. Peace. Love. Beautiful!

@Tatile I laughed at the idea of plant Mirialan because green right? And accidentally tasting sunscreen... something almost everyone has encountered (I think?) and the overreaction HA! As usual adorableness in Rochester and Broan <3.

@LogicLoup interesting concept, I'm curious now, I wish they'd show us what miralukan's are supposed to look like without the masks. (Not in game but in some kind of lore encyclopedia.)

Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
Spoiler
I liked this a lot and especially this line. Pointing out that sometimes Sith are just as much nameless faceless objects to Imperials as Imperials are to Sith (with a side order of deference and respect born of fear of course). I also love the positive spin on the Jedi, we tend to Jedi bash a lot around here. It's probably because the game shoves the hypocrisy in our faces, but it's nice to be reminded that there are good Jedi and they really are trying to do the right thing... mostly... sometimes .

LogicLoup
10.25.2012 , 01:32 PM | #1919
@bright: Poor Colran. It must be tough waiting for another shoe that's never going to drop.

Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
@LogicLoup interesting concept, I'm curious now, I wish they'd show us what miralukan's are supposed to look like without the masks. (Not in game but in some kind of lore encyclopedia.)
The only image I've been able to find is this one — unsourced, GRRRRR — from the Wookieepedia entry on Visas Marr. My own "I'm not an evolutionary biologist but I sometimes play one on the intartubez" headcanon has the rear wall of the eye socket moved forward so that it's directly behind the layer of skin we see in the picture there. Since Miraluka don't even have vestigial eyes, I figure there had to be some kind of advantage to be gained by losing them altogether, and it seems sensible enough that the same selective pressures would favour the resulting empty space being filled in with bone.

Tatile
10.25.2012 , 03:12 PM | #1920
Well, from what I understand from what I've read of Miraluka (mostly using wiki sites, so don't think I'm some sort of Miraluka expect or anything), they evolved on a planet 'without' sun light and being an inherently force sensitive species, developed the ability to see using the Force - that does mean that they have no visual cortex in their brain (no idea quite where that came from, but I think it's Wookiepedia), meaning that there are no cybernetics that can be hooked up and no eye transplants that can be done with any working result. This is why it's very much a taboo for humans and Miraluka to mate - they can have sighted children, Force-sighted children or a combination of both, but there's also the chance of producing a child which is Force-blind, blind and lacks the requisite biology to ever see.

That being said, I believe I've seen a comic panel of Visas Marr (or other Miraluka Sith woman) with the skin covering her 'eyes' ripped out, revealing empty sealed sockets. However, given that that happened in a comic and I don't believe that it has been widely discussed in regards to Miraluka biology, that could have been an aesthetic choice for shock factor, rather than an inherent quirk of the species.