Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

natashina
10.24.2012 , 05:37 PM | #2501
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
All I can garner is a street address, and a phone number that presumably goes to the front office:

Matthew Bromberg
General Manager, BioWare Austin
3110 Esperanza Crossing, Ste. 110
Austin, TX 78758

(512) 382-8682
Woot, found his twitter: @MBromberg

Uluain
10.24.2012 , 05:37 PM | #2502
We might try George Takei, who is an outspoken proponent of all things gay & geek. He spearheads a sort of detente between Star Wars fans and Star Trek fans, being a fan of both. Perhaps when he is less busy with the first run of his stage show, Allegience, which deals with the internment of Japanese-Americans in concentration camps during WWII rather a larger issue, to be sure.

Also, I'd like to give the team at least a decent chance to respond to my message before I follow through on my stated intention regarding going over their heads. So personally, I recommend not approaching the general manager until we can do so in a more unified fashion.

Tatile
10.24.2012 , 05:40 PM | #2503
We could give Mr. Takei a short email or something on the subject, just to let him know. Though he probably would not be able to do much himself, he might be able to pass the information on (or so I can dream).

Edit: Once we can start getting our thoughts and opinions more organised and in a more... polite language than what is probably currently available to us (), it will likely have been enough time for the Community Team, Mr. Gonzalez or Ms. Berryman to have received, read and deleted our messages.

natashina
10.24.2012 , 05:44 PM | #2504
Quote: Originally Posted by Palar View Post
What responses?
Exactly.

More to the point, the copy and pasta responses we've been getting. The ones that BW/EA say that the mods can only use. As frustrated as I am, I know the mods are doing all they can and I'm going to remain polite. I'm sure even Mr. Gonzales has his hands tied by his bosses. We should bring up the quality of the messages they are allowed to give. It's become total bantha poo at this point. No need to shoot the messengers though.

Edit: Just finished reading about possibly contacting the Lord of All Things Gay and Geek Himself, George Takei. As I did, Doup's text alert went off. His text alert is "Oh, Myyyy." I love my Doupster.

Tatile
10.24.2012 , 05:57 PM | #2505
List of notable persons
Ms. Ginger Maseda - Inclusion Leader at EA (and Global Talent Acquisition Leader)
Mr. Mattew Bromberg - General Manager at Bioware: Austin (responsible for Star Wars: The Old Republic)
Mr. Daniel Erikson - previous writer of Star Wars: The Old Republic
Mr. David Gaider - previous writer at Bioware The "rights" of anyone with regards to a game are murky at best, but anyone who takes that stance must apply it equally to both the minority as well as the majority. The majority has no inherent "right" to get more options than anyone else.
Mr. Hall Hood - current lead writer of Star Wars: The Old Republic

Dr. Muzyka and Dr. Zeschuk (founders of Bioware, now departed) - http://kotaku.com/5888909/why-a-vide...o-be-a-gay-man
- quotes of article therein

Mr. Stephen Reid - former Community Manager
Mr. Jopeth Gonzales - current Community Manager

Quick list off the top of my head and from bouncing around this thread. If there are any corrections or additions that need to be made, let me know. I'm looking at gathering quotes from persons both past and present at Bioware and EA on the subject of same-sex romances and content in video games, as well as names of individuals who are involved in the writing process for this game and community engagement, hence why Mr. Gonzales is on the list, despite the fact he hasn't done a damn thing.

natashina
10.24.2012 , 06:02 PM | #2506

There are some that believe I should shut up about SGRs. I'm not going to. I love the crap out of this game and I still find it worth my money. I can understand why some people are fed the truck up. I don't want to be silent about this, because I want to see this promised content come to pass. I don't want the player base to shrink further due to BW/EA's silence. This content would add yards of replay value in the game for me and others. For even more still, it would allow them to not have to roll an opposite gender or remain celibate in order to enjoy the romance arcs. It isn't a deal breaker for me, but I know that it is for others. I'll do it for those that are getting too angry about it and feel like their money was wasted. As long as I enjoy the game and find it worth my money, I'll keep asking about/pushing for SGRs.

Uluain
10.24.2012 , 06:06 PM | #2507
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
As frustrated as I am, I know the mods are doing all they can and I'm going to remain polite. I'm sure even Mr. Gonzales has his hands tied by his bosses. We should bring up the quality of the messages they are allowed to give. It's become total bantha poo at this point. No need to shoot the messengers though.

If the mods aren't escalating our questions to the review board or Secret Masters or Grand Inquisitor or whoever makes the call as often as we ask, then they aren't doing all they can. At every meeting, I want to know they are saying "and here are the questions from the SGR thread that haven't been answered." If a decision has been made not to release info until Date X, I want to know that decision is being appealed. This is appalling and unconscionable.

It was already appalling and unconscionable to implement opposite-gender romance while leaving same-gender romance to languish until some future date.

About all we can thank the Community Support team for at this stage is keeping this thread troll-free, and permitting the occasional same-gender concerns thread with a different focus (confirming the rumors re: Makeb, same-gender [Flirt] prompts) to remain open (on Suggestion Box and General Discussion, respectively) although neither of those has received any sort of Community Team feedback either.

natashina
10.24.2012 , 06:16 PM | #2508
If the mods aren't escalating our questions to the review board or Secret Masters or Grand Inquisitor or whoever makes the call as often as we ask, then they aren't doing all they can. At every meeting, I want to know they are saying "and here are the questions from the SGR thread that haven't been answered." If a decision has been made not to release info until Date X, I want to know that decision is being appealed. This is appalling and unconscionable.

It was already appalling and unconscionable to implement opposite-gender romance while leaving same-gender romance to languish until some future date.
How do we know that they don't? They very well could have and still get told, "Sorry, this is all you are allowed to tell the players." Plus, I'm not sure how many people would believe it is brought up at meetings at all, even if the moderators came flat out and said it. However, this amount of copy and pasta makes me wonder if some of the people that left BW/EA have due to things like this. Especially in the case of Daniel Erickson, who was the most outspoken for equal gamer rights.

In any case, they need to show us some signs one way or the other. It's insulting in many many ways. I'm with you there.

Quote:
About all we can thank the Community Support team for at this stage is keeping this thread troll-free, and permitting the occasional same-gender concerns thread with a different focus (confirming the rumors re: Makeb, same-gender [Flirt] prompts) to remain open (on Suggestion Box and General Discussion, respectively) although neither of those has received any sort of Community Team feedback either.
Again, I think many of the community team with the possible exceptions of Ms. Berryman and Mr. Gonzales, have had their hands severely tied. I'm not disagreeing with you at all, just trying to see the different angles. It doesn't make it right or good one way or another.

edit: gah, cut off part of the quote. Sorry Uluain.

Uluain
10.24.2012 , 06:23 PM | #2509
Oh, I can tell their hands are tied - and it is Joveth, Grand High Poobah of Community Stuff himself, who has spoken of having to get material approved for release. Generally, I believe they would like to tell us. I am usually less ornery and bitter unless like today they do something so completely thoughtless that it ticks me off.

If they know this is a matter players feel strongly about, and if they really are concerned about it, they could have forseen that pushing companion romance as a feature in their daily blurb was at least potentially divisive. And I am not the only person who responded in such a fashion on Facebook. I loathe Twitter and all its work, and only made an account because it was offered as an avenue of community information, and have not combed through the #DailySWTOR replies for today to see how many others said something similar.

natashina
10.24.2012 , 06:32 PM | #2510
Oh, I can tell their hands are tied - and it is Joveth, Grand High Poobah of Community Stuff himself, who has spoken of having to get material approved for release. Generally, I believe they would like to tell us. I am usually less ornery and bitter unless like today they do something so completely thoughtless that it ticks me off.
I hear you. When I made one of my rants the other day, I was extremely bitter over the articles. Gah, it still can get my blood boiling. I'm glad we wrote them and got it changed, but why in Hades did we have to?? Why didn't EA go back and clarify?

Yep, I'm still insulted by it.

Quote:
If they know this is a matter players feel strongly about, and if they really are concerned about it, they could have forseen that pushing companion romance as a feature in their daily blurb was at least potentially divisive. And I am not the only person who responded in such a fashion on Facebook. I loathe Twitter and all its work, and only made an account because it was offered as an avenue of community information, and have not combed through the #DailySWTOR replies for today to see how many others said something similar.
Here here! I hate Twitter as well. That's why my sig was, "The Devs finally did it. They drove me to Tweet. " Sometimes the phrase, "Sound and Fury equally nothing" comes to mind in Twitter. Everyone has so much to say, and yet rarely seems to say anything at all. Not a huge fan of FB, but it did give me a chance to meet my long lost 1/2 sister, as well as other family. The fact that they didn't even consider the feelings of the LGBT fanbase when they posted that questions burnt my biscuits.

Look EA/BW, if you're going to drop SGRs, just do it already and save us the trouble. If not, at least acknowledge the fact we are here, and stop putting us in the closet.

Ugh.

edit: got rid of a sentence that made no sense. Yes, I preview these things. And yes, I rather suck at it.