Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Cirinia
07.23.2012 , 01:27 PM | #5141
Generally speaking I like the idea of Free Character Transfer but right now I'm not interested in it.
Two main reasons below:
1. I have lots of work now and I'm often interrupted by RL so group playing is out of question for most of the time.
2. I enjoy peace and lack of crowding on my present server "Dune Bantha". I can explore each class story (which I like to do), create crafting network of my alts (another thing I like) and do not waste time in queue for materials and quest objectives due to other player presence. I'm leaving endgame stuff for later when I have more time to play in group.

Thing I miss in game now:
1. Crafting management via web page.
2. Group ship operations (multiplayer), like Death Star attack peformed by Luke Skywalker and his wing.
3. Equipment research done not by reverse engineering: progress bar, research tree etc.

Vespassian
07.27.2012 , 09:45 AM | #5142
Bioware... were you bought out by EA or something? You do know they make must money for the cha ching and not for community. NEVER has a game of you made me lose respect towards you, but SWTOR has a ton of issues and not having HK-51 isn't really that. I loved HK-47, but that isn't the problem. You got time to pull your stuff together, but you messed up. I was REALLY excited about this game. Make a movie out of trailers, would you? I wasn't expecting the same-old-same-old MMO mechanics. You had the chance of owning SWG and blowing our minds away... that didn't really happen... SWG makes this game look like a laughing stock! All the open world events in SWG, all the fun and games hanging with people replaced for leveling from planet to planet to planet with the same side quests. However I LOVE the stories, most of them anyway- they're fun and entertaining. Heck, you could of made KOTOR3 from the Jedi Knight story! All the classes have the same concept too! (. Once your done with the Bounty Hunter, you don't get to hunt anymore! You sit at the fleet waiting for a WZ Group Finder. Wow. Hardcore hunting there, really builds on that Legacy tree. There is nothing special about each class expect their look, their lightside and darkside, how they treat companions (barely valuable endgame) . That's about it. They run all in the same line endgame. None of them do something different from the other. That made me feel so ripped off. Also "Mirror" classes... WHAT? How is a trooper have all the same things a bounty hunter has... WHAT? Just copy and pasted with a new icon and animation. For real? I will still play this game, but could have been sooo much more... I guess that's all they care about.. If we keep playing their game. EA leave. You ruined it.
JOREL
COLE

Stirek
07.27.2012 , 10:39 AM | #5143
Quote: Originally Posted by Tabou View Post
Dear Bioware,
I have chosen to stay on my original server to preserve my charactors' names, legacy name, and my guild's names, both Republic and Empire. Our whole guild chose to stay with our original server.
If Bioware subsequently chooses to close down our server and move us to another server, where we will lose our identities, I will leave SW:TOR altogether, desipte the fact that I do love the game and the friendships I have developed.
Remember, Bioware, this is MY money I am choosing to spend on SW:TOR. If you choose to make my game experience displeasing, I WILL choose to spend my entertainment money elseware.
You may have some of the finest game developers, coders, and layout artists in the MMO business, but your logistical people are incredibly inept. It seems to me with the University of Texas in your back yard, you could find/hire a good logician to help you with this.
You are going to lose income from this transfer fiasco if you don't accommodate your clientele. Remember, you can please all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you can NEVER please all of the people all of the time. In your business, you need to please as many as possible. Your income depends on it.

My 2 creds worth..................... Tabou
Just unsubbed this morning (20 days left). I have no desire to go to an over populated server. Decided since they are remaining silent, best to unsub now and just keep an eye on the forums to see if they elect to have a few light to moderate population servers. Doubtful though.
Stirek

Stupidity isn't fatal nearly often enough

-Jay-
07.28.2012 , 08:16 PM | #5144
Quote: Originally Posted by Stirek View Post
Just unsubbed this morning (20 days left). I have no desire to go to an over populated server. Decided since they are remaining silent, best to unsub now and just keep an eye on the forums to see if they elect to have a few light to moderate population servers. Doubtful though.
No one quits a game they enjoy because they have to change a name. You get a free chance to change your name to a better one.

These forums really are full of trolls.

Haters gona Hate.

Blattan
07.28.2012 , 08:58 PM | #5145
Quote: Originally Posted by -Jay- View Post
No one quits a game they enjoy because they have to change a name.
You write that as if you believe a character name is completely separate from the enjoyment of the game.
Clearly, that isn't true for some.

AbsolutGrndZero
07.29.2012 , 02:18 PM | #5146
I found that I couldn't keep the names that mattered most to me on the free transfer. I actually considered quitting, but then I found I could get the two names that matted the most on Drooga's Pleasure Barge... so I moved there. Myself. starting over instead of playing my transferred and renamed toons on Ebon Hawk.

Star Wars the Old Republic broke ALL the preorder records in history. More copies were sold than any MMO in hsitory. You can say all you want that they should have known that X% of those wouldn't stay past the first month, and your statistic might even be right, but in the end, it's still hind sight is 20/20. The first month when they had 30+ servers ALL full to capacity, they had no way to know how many would stay full. They gambled and lost. Those of us that got on and got choice names... we gambled, and many of us lost. I am really sad that I don't have my chosen Legacy name of "Babylon" on Drooga's Pleasure barge. But, I got my consular's name of "Jennica" and my smuggler may not be Racquel Babylon, but at least she's Racquel. I lost "Ashley" but I took that loss and made a miraluka named Porcelain instead that I actually enjoy much more

So, I know and understand how much your character's name matters, I really do. But, Bioware/EA screwed up because they had no idea what to do in something I'm not sure any company would know what to do. Maybe Blizard MIGHT have known what to do, maybe. I don't think anybody else would have.

So, to all of those quitting over loss of names, if you do I fully understand, however I'd suggest doing as I did and see if you can get the names that matter most to you on another of the servers that are remaining. It's not the best, but I'm very much glad I didn't just quit outright as I very much almost did.

As for high server population vs. medium server population, the only reason I see to hate high pop servers is the queue and that can always be tweaked once they get everything settled.
The Babylon Legacy
Harbinger
Racquel, Stancerry, Jennica, Porcelain

Fettpettz
08.17.2012 , 09:41 PM | #5147
losing my char names and legacy name. just .... f u bioware! seriously!

jamazvu
10.24.2012 , 04:00 PM | #5148
Just resubbed again... (I'm a MoP raider but I still like this game and the star wars universe) but... WHY DONT YOU LET US TRANSFER OUR CHARACTERS to ANY server WE WANT? (PvP to PvE)... My first server was a pvp (I have 2 chars in level 30 )with many friends but they left the game months ago... I rerolled in a PVE server, got two 50s and one 45, and I would really like (as many people, I think) to have all my characters in the same f****ng server... Can you please listen to your customers? Please? can you do something (or atleast try to) like this to keep your subscribers?

Graydon
10.24.2012 , 04:35 PM | #5149
Quote: Originally Posted by jamazvu View Post
Just resubbed again... (I'm a MoP raider but I still like this game and the star wars universe) but... WHY DONT YOU LET US TRANSFER OUR CHARACTERS to ANY server WE WANT? (PvP to PvE)... My first server was a pvp (I have 2 chars in level 30 )with many friends but they left the game months ago... I rerolled in a PVE server, got two 50s and one 45, and I would really like (as many people, I think) to have all my characters in the same f****ng server... Can you please listen to your customers? Please? can you do something (or atleast try to) like this to keep your subscribers?
You just need to be patient.

Bioware hinted at possible paid transfers back in April and now you are already checking for a status? Are you serious??

I swear this instant gratification generation never quits to amaze me.

uaintjak
10.24.2012 , 05:00 PM | #5150
Quote: Originally Posted by Graydon View Post
You just need to be patient.

Bioware hinted at possible paid transfers back in April and now you are already checking for a status? Are you serious??

I swear this instant gratification generation never quits to amaze me.
Are you actually defending their stance by calling it a problem with "instant gratification"? Are YOU serious?

Considering that transfers have been in the game for, oh, I don't know, MONTHS, and that people wishing to transfer to servers of their choice is one of the most asked about features, I'm literally dumbfounded by your reply. And not because it was brilliant - quite the opposite.