Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Free-to-Play Preview #1

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MaryMoon
10.22.2012 , 01:03 PM | #111
I agree completely with increasing the warzones that f2p are allowed. I think it should be 3 per day... not 3 per week. That seems more reasonable so that it will enhance the play of subscription players.

ripster
10.22.2012 , 02:03 PM | #112
I'm still considering going F2P. I always intended to primarily go through all 8 class stories and I probably could have done that by now but I just don't have the free time that I used to. Most of the restrictions don't affect me too much. I don't craft or raid. PvP has been more of a distraction but it is fun. I like the space missions so that limitation will be felt every once in a while. I could see myself dropping a couple bucks here or there for some PvP or space passes depending on the price and what new zones they add.

The one restriction that I will probably feel the most is the species one. Most of my characters are human or cyborg anyway, so I might have to reroll a couple or wait to see what it would cost to unlock them. Of all the restrictions I think this is the one I never thought worked well with this hybrid model. Pretty much all perks across the system lock and unlock the same for all players when they go between free and paid, but the species one is the only one that penalizes some people and not others for a core character creation choice that doesn't even have an advantage.

Comstrike
10.22.2012 , 04:39 PM | #113
I found the clips highlighting people riding and sitting around on speeders, in the middle of Fleet, to be amusing. One of the most out-of-place and annoying aspects of being on Fleet at all, and it makes the preview video. Tells you what they DON'T think deeply about.

In any case, it isn't a bad deal, as F2P games go.
Comstrike
Founder, Leader, Sons Of Numenor & Scions of Koribban| LOTRO - SWTOR - GW2 - STO - World of Tanks | GalacticHolonetNews

Heffos
10.23.2012 , 12:42 PM | #114
Searched the thread with the integrated button below, so excuse me if this has already been asked.

One thing that bothers me about the video announcement is this (01:07):
"As a free-to-play player you will have three speices to choose from: Human, Zabrak and Cyborg."
Does this mean that players going from the subscribed to free-option will not be able to PLAY with characters that are not human/cyborg/zabrak, even if they were created during subscription, and before the launch of free-to-play? This is something I need to know, having a chiss, cyborg and human character (it would make it easier for me to plan when to pay then).
Yes, I heard him say it concerned character creation... But I need this clarified. It is likely I'll be switching between being a payment-free and no-limits player.
I support CHAT BUBBLES; implement a dynamic chat system now!

Heffos - the gaming jawa in SWtOR.

Avalean
10.23.2012 , 01:03 PM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by Draekos View Post
I don't get this at all. If they quit and are no longer supporting the game why should they get full access? Currently if you quit you get nothing. Why would they let people come back and play like nothing has changed without paying anything at all? The whole point is to fund further development of the game. As a sub I have zero desire to pay for other players who can't be bothered to support a game they are playing.
ok the concept put out by the Game was that IF you had bought and been a subscriber before F2P launch you had access to your previous characters of only certain classes as I understood it. My suggestion was to allow them access to All of the characters and classes they had Previously already created BUT to only allow them a designated set of active slots or characters a week. So if you say had 12 toons created THEN went F2P you could only access say 4 of those on any given week. Just a basic concept is all to allow those who have previously PAID for the Game, Spent CASh for the Subscription, then for what ever reason went ot the Free to play option so would not lose all of their previously paid for and time consuming work was all.

Hope that clairifies it a bit better.
Avalean

DarthRiddikk
10.23.2012 , 02:38 PM | #116
Only thing that I don't like is the species restrictions and the warzone restrictions.
The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel that Revan understood that difference, more than anyone knew. - Kreia

Alerax
10.24.2012 , 12:41 AM | #117
Quote:
16,426 cartel coins?
How!? I have been playing since release and only have 2000
Alerax

ZORG
10.24.2012 , 01:58 AM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by DazzTheFett View Post
Hey guys just me again!!

I'm tending to agree with most of the people here that 3 warzones a week is a very bad idea.

1. There is no match making on warzones so you have no control over what warzones you queue for. Example I HATE huttball. As soon as I get in a game I log out straight away. It would be nice if you could choose what warzones you can and can't queue for.

2. Sometimes when you get into a warzone it only has a few minuites remaining and gives you no chance to do anything useful. Just ends up being a complete waste of time. Usally puts you into a game because some one saw their side was losing and quit out so it dumps you in their place. Not good!!

3. I think 3 to 5 a day wouldn't be a big ask or deal. I mean subscribers will still have priority over f2p players for the queue anyway. In one of my play sessions I usally only get 3 or 4 warzones in anyway. Much more than that you would probably be playing for the whole day and not many people I know have that kind of time to spend playing games. Even one as good as this!!

On closing I'd like to say a big thanks to the guys at Bioware for all the hard work on this AWESOME game.

p.s. Hey guys it's really disappointing to hear a lot of you ************ about what they didn't show you. They asked for some constructive criticism and ideas for future previews. This is only their first preview give them a chance. I'm sure they are doing the best they can with a lot fewer people to do the work after their wave of layoffs.
Those who have the time and are willing to go through 5 warzones at one time are not the casual player base F2P is being setup for it seems. I am sorta glad its limited because I dont want the 10 year olds to overwhelm everything. Thats why I dont play halo online its filled with pree teens.
Fear leads to Anger
Anger leads to hate
HATE leads to suffering

Obzenia
10.24.2012 , 01:10 PM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by Heffos View Post
Searched the thread with the integrated button below, so excuse me if this has already been asked.

One thing that bothers me about the video announcement is this (01:07):
"As a free-to-play player you will have three speices to choose from: Human, Zabrak and Cyborg."
Does this mean that players going from the subscribed to free-option will not be able to PLAY with characters that are not human/cyborg/zabrak, even if they were created during subscription, and before the launch of free-to-play? This is something I need to know, having a chiss, cyborg and human character (it would make it easier for me to plan when to pay then).
Yes, I heard him say it concerned character creation... But I need this clarified. It is likely I'll be switching between being a payment-free and no-limits player.
It has been asked many times and answered many times.

It is also answered in the F2P FAQs found here:
http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6449
A link to the specific page concerning changing from SUB to F2P here:
http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6526
A link to the specific page concerning what happens to your existing characters here:
http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/6546

In summary, if you decide to go F2P from a SUB, your account will be changed to "Preferred Status" and you will choose which of ANY OF your characters will remain active with NO RESTRICTIONS ON CLASS. The only restriction being the number of active character slots. Meaning you can still choose to play your Chiss character if it's one of your favourites.

When you are playing said character, they will be subject to the limitations of a preferred account... meaning you will still have Cargo Hold access, Sprint at lvl 1, and higher login priority, but you will need to choose which of your crew skills remain active, will not be able to participate in Ops unless you buy a weekly pass and WZs will be limited to 3 per week unless you purchase a weekly pass.

Many of the restricted features can be unlocked with Cartel Coins that you have accumulated during your paid sub period.

An updated summary on the comparison of Sub and F2P features can be found here: http://www.swtor.com/free/features. (rollover the little "?" to see more details of what limited and full access entail)

Hope this post clears up some things.

LordArtemis
10.24.2012 , 01:22 PM | #120
I wanted to say a few things.

This is genuinely the most excited I have been about this title since long before launch. There were two ways they could have gone with F2P IMO...either draconian limitations for F2P players only with nothing for subs or what they have now.

Though I would like to see more in the shop, overall I think it is a fantastic setup, offers many tantalizing items including items that will REALLY reduce some of the frustration factors in the game currently and really adds value overall to the title.

This is the first time IN A LONG TIME that I am strongly considering staying subbed. For me, at least, this is remarkable considering how harsh of a critic I have been of this game...but also proves, in my eyes, if they do things right I am ready to support them all the way.

i want this title to succeed. That is why I am such a brutal critic. It is my hope this brings in the kind of profits needed to improve the title overall. The addition of this F2P system as implemented is already a huge improvement IMO.

Good job Bioware. You just moved up from a C- to a B-...and I never thought I would give this title a B or higher.