Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will we be able to earn Cartel Coins via in-game activities?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Will we be able to earn Cartel Coins via in-game activities?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

BadOrb
10.18.2012 , 12:43 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Maviarab View Post
Jaing..

Is all psychology. The 'ability' to do everything for free, earning CC in game is a huge draw and will keep people playing. It will also cause a lot of people to sub, when they realsie, hell, it's just easier.

As for cosmetic fluff, I really don't think EA (surprisingly) realise how much of a pulling power/money maker that side of the game is...
We as subscribers are already earning free cartel coins right now as we speak and I think EA do realise that cosmetic fluff is a huge money maker. Just check the data mined list of items that will be in the cartel shop , lots of speeders and pets , they might make a lot of dosh indeed. We might even buy more cartel coins too if we get hooked in the "ikea" way another poster mentioned .

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12

AllisonBerryman
10.22.2012 , 11:08 AM | #12 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
I talked to Damion Schubert (Principal Lead Systems Designer) and asked about this topic to get some official clarification. He said that players will not be able to earn Cartel Coins from in-game activities when the Cartel Market launches, but that it's something we're investigating for the future. We like the idea but needed to focus on ensuring we had a solid framework for Cartel Coins and the Market first.

BadOrb
10.22.2012 , 11:29 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
I talked to Damion Schubert (Principal Lead Systems Designer) and asked about this topic to get some official clarification. He said that players will not be able to earn Cartel Coins from in-game activities when the Cartel Market launches, but that it's something we're investigating for the future. We like the idea but needed to focus on ensuring we had a solid framework for Cartel Coins and the Market first.
Ah that's great , thank you for asking him for us. Yeah it will be something very cool for the future , but it would have to be precise , because basically the F2P players should have fun and be able to play mostly how they like . They would hopefully spend some money in the cash shop for the parts of the game they actually enjoy the most and giving in-game cartel coin rewards would alter this greatly , so a lot of thought is needed and a great amount of checking what the average F2P player spends is needed.

It does seem like a great idea though as it would suit my play style and by the looks of the daily's in this game would suit a lot of other players. I do like repetative gaming to a certain degree , I also like the non-repetative elements in swtor also. I basically do a few Heroic 2's every day on many characters , now if there was a cartel coin reward for a daily / H2 mission thrown in I would be first in the queue.

Cheers ,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12

RSLeMire
10.22.2012 , 11:32 AM | #14
no

It said I must lengthen my message but I have nothing else to add.
"Whatever our fate, let us meet it as Jedi."

Urael
10.22.2012 , 11:48 AM | #15
Hmmmm .... I guess this:

Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
My concern is that this will be the ONLY way to get new "cool" stuff going forward. I'm fearful that all new gear looks will be primarily store bought vs. in-game rewards.
Is a valid concern "for the future".

Andryah
10.22.2012 , 03:37 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
Is a valid concern "for the future".
Subscribers won't care...... and free.. well there is no really free lunch now is there?

Even in LoTRO where they do let you earn in currency in game, it's pitifully slow and tedious, designed to encourage you to sub or buy currency instead.

SWTOR is just being more real and sincere about it by not dangling a dried out carrot in front of you and encouraging you to starve to death.

Which means people can rage about there being no carrot instead of the carrot being dried out and useless.
The MMO player would do well to embrace the nature of reality: Everything is relative, a projection based upon a malleable set of universal laws. Reality is an elastic process in which our individual choices play an active role.

Urael
10.22.2012 , 03:44 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Subscribers won't care...... and free.. well there is no really free lunch now is there?

Even in LoTRO where they do let you earn in currency in game, it's pitifully slow and tedious, designed to encourage you to sub or buy currency instead.

SWTOR is just being more real and sincere about it by not dangling a dried out carrot in front of you.

Which means people can rage about there being no carrot instead of the carrot being dried out and useless.
You completely missed TUXs point that I agreed with.

The "fear" is that "cartel coins" will be 'necessary ' for subs to obtain "cool" stuff. If the alowance of CCs even if judiciously "saved" doesn't yield you "real" buying power to obtain said items WITHOUT paying MORE then CC alowance is useless.

I agree with you that these models are designed to get you to sub. I just don't TRUST EA (remember the bullets comment by John Riccitiello:

Quote:
"When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time."

"A consumer gets engaged in a property, they might spend 10,20,30,50 hours on the game and then when they're deep into the game they're well invested in in. We're not gouging, but we're charging and at that point in time the commitment can be pretty high."

"But it is a great model and I think it represents a substantially better future for the industry."
We are already dedicated as subs (guarenteed income) we shouldn't get nickeled and dimed to death on top of it.

jgoldsack
10.22.2012 , 03:46 PM | #18
I really think that there needs to be Cartel Coins available from in game activities. Make some quests have an optional reward of a few Cartel Coins, or if you find all the datacrons, they are awarded Cartel Coins. There needs to be a way for players to, with enough time, gain enough Coins to be able to purchase something.

That is one thing that LOTRO has done well... you can play it totally free, gain Turbine Points by doing deeds or quests in game. It takes longer than purchasing of course, but it gives people things to work towards if they really want to avoid spending money.
On the Internet, you can be anything you want. It is strange so many people choose to be stupid.

FlyinSpaghetti
10.22.2012 , 04:17 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Maviarab View Post
Dev's have already stated that there will be NO way to obtain coins/tokens in-game...

The single most stupid way to make sure F2P never gets off the ground imo. ?
Yeah... that's why every successful F2P game I've played in the past year have also allowed people to grind their way through without spending anything by introducing a separate in-game currency for paid and unpaid, where the only difference between what the two get is the grind...
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
Thats no moon... thats a CARTEL COIN!

Andryah
10.22.2012 , 04:27 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
You completely missed TUXs point that I agreed with.
I did not miss it, I simply disagree with it.

Subs monthly stipend of coins would far outweigh any amount of coins one could earn in game via the LoTRO approach (unless you grind 7/24 and have no life... but that is a different issue really).
The MMO player would do well to embrace the nature of reality: Everything is relative, a projection based upon a malleable set of universal laws. Reality is an elastic process in which our individual choices play an active role.