Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Nov Coast - the "flood cap" strategy?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Nov Coast - the "flood cap" strategy?

Banderal
10.21.2012 , 12:32 PM | #1
I don't know what you call it, but I was just in a match were we won using this "strategy". It's where it seems like the whole team, instead of trying to beat down the defenders, stand in various places and keep trying to cap. Sure you don't get very far before someone stops you, but since there's 5 of you doing it and you each get a little bit each time, and since capping those turrets is cumulative, you eventually get it. This was in a PUG, so I doubt it was a planned action. I think we got it part way "ninja" capped, and that just inspired everyone else to try to finish it up.

So it got me thinking... is this a valid strategy? Do you think it's useful to try for this on purpose? Seems like it might work if you could keep pressure on the other side (so they don't get a breather to undo your effort), but if you don't really have enough firepower to wipe them out for a "clean cap".

When I've been on the other side of it, it seems hard to defend against, but then I don't usually play a class that has much for AoE. I wonder if even AoE classes can break it up though, since NC has such a wide area that you can stand in to do a cap.

DanteDeLaRocha
10.21.2012 , 01:29 PM | #2
Seems like a pretty common strategy in the wzs I've played. It is pretty easy to stop with AoEs if anyone is paying attention. As always, capping/stopping capping has to be more important than padding stats.
The Cookiemonster Legacy, The Shadowlands

Kerensk
10.21.2012 , 02:51 PM | #3
I've captured bunkers this way by myself as an operative in about 3 respawns. :P
The melee at mid was going nowhere but kept raging on as each side tried wipe then capture. so I just started capturing rather than fighting.

I think the moral of the story isn't so much to flood capture (although it works) but to watch for that slow incremental capture. If the enemy gets is up to 90% captured one person can come I and have the bunker in just a few seconds.
The Harbinger, Piett Legacy
“It's an older quote but it checks out. I was about to clear it. ”

ArchangelLBC
10.21.2012 , 04:07 PM | #4
In general I feel at least one or two people should be ranged capping the contested turret, and conversely, when defending people should notice when the node is starting to switch colors and take some time to do some "counter-capping" to put a stop to that nonsense while someone with an aoe lays down a long AoE to keep them from keeping up that nonsense.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Chlomamf
10.21.2012 , 06:23 PM | #5
Seems to be. I remember a match where I was defending East and someone said to everyone in Mid to spam-cap it, and it actually worked.

Then we lost it, but then we just spam-capped it back.

Alericus
10.21.2012 , 06:43 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by DanteDeLaRocha View Post
Seems like a pretty common strategy in the wzs I've played. It is pretty easy to stop with AoEs if anyone is paying attention. As always, capping/stopping capping has to be more important than padding stats.
Im with ya dude and you would think players would get this...but in so many ops chats Ive seen players boasting about their kills as we get three capped. It seems there are so many players who think because they got top kills the match was successful even though they never win a match.

At this point in the game, I think the only way to turn this retard thinking around is to make it so you dont get penalized for leaving matches its time to punish players who lose matches, say a 15 minute delay before they enter a queue again...and I would make this time stretch as the losing streak continues.

I think this would also be useful in preventing premades and guilds setting up kill trade matches as well.
The best match where the strategy you mentioned worked for me was a Novare Coast match where we just kept switching the bunker to hit and eventually we had 2 and 1/4 bunkers capped to us with a final score being in the teens. This required players giving up kills for the overall goal of winning. I know that the players who were on my team that match had a little more maturity, Im not saying actual age, they just didnt have egos the size of the deathstar and that more than anything will always win a match.
Alaricus
"Through Strength I Gain Power!"

Chlomamf
10.21.2012 , 06:47 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Alericus View Post
Im with ya dude and you would think players would get this...but in so many ops chats Ive seen players boasting about their kills as we get three capped. It seems there are so many players who think because they got top kills the match was successful even though they never win a match.

At this point in the game, I think the only way to turn this retard thinking around is to make it so you dont get penalized for leaving matches its time to punish players who lose matches, say a 15 minute delay before they enter a queue again...and I would make this time stretch as the losing streak continues.

I think this would also be useful in preventing premades and guilds setting up kill trade matches as well.
The best match where the strategy you mentioned worked for me was a Novare Coast match where we just kept switching the bunker to hit and eventually we had 2 and 1/4 bunkers capped to us with a final score being in the teens. This required players giving up kills for the overall goal of winning. I know that the players who were on my team that match had a little more maturity, Im not saying actual age, they just didnt have egos the size of the deathstar and that more than anything will always win a match.
That's an absolutely fantastic idea! Yeah, so when I'm in a PUG and I vs Premade after Premade then I will get penalised for losing unfairly!

You sir, have just made the Premade problem even worst with this idea.

Zenates
10.21.2012 , 07:56 PM | #8
Just thought about this, its sort of related in a way...
(Only for Novare BTW)
What happens when 2 opposing team players are trying to cap at the same time on one node, without attacking each other? Ive never seen anyone try it, I may have to see about this in my next wz if its possible, on novare of course.

mdtk
10.21.2012 , 09:12 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Alericus View Post

Have you ever even seen how many people play PvP on the APAC severs? If we implented this there would be NO PvP at all on APAC servers.
Gav Daragon-a server united has fallen

<Celestial Warriors>
Shärth - 60 commando

SOULCASTER
10.21.2012 , 09:15 PM | #10
"Is this a valid strategy???"
...Any strategy that works is a valid strategy. A win is a win.