Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Free-to-Play Preview #1

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Cyphen's Avatar


Cyphen
10.21.2012 , 09:31 AM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Sorrtas View Post
I honestly don't see the logic in some of these restrictions.
Warzone restrictions should be a daily restriction of 3. By restricting it to three per week you gain absolutely nothing except some fr00b (free player) that thinks you want them to sub to waive the restrictions. Which you do but you don't want them to think that.

Flashpoints/Operation restrictions. My guess is let fr00bs play only SM and HM for Flashpoints, and just SM for Operations.

Space Combat. Four a day sounds legit. Only benefit you get is exp.

Now for the dumbest restriction I have never seen in a MMO.
Breed restrictions. Seriously? What exactly do you hope to gain from that?? You must pay $15 a month or you won't be able to play the other epic races? Now you're just begging for an emu.

You're not luring people into subbing; you're making it hard for the person to see what is so amazing about swtor and all its glories. #1 mistake you made is preventing the person to customize their character to their likings (AKA RACE RESTRICTION) If the person isn't happy with how their character looks then they're not sticking around.
Agreed, the F2P model decided by EA will flop and mark my words because it will flop and sink the game even faster. I understand restrictions but the current are just moronic.

I shouldn't even care, il stay subbed regardless (unless I get bored again).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWMBeLrZoyw
Your Blood shall become the Mantle to my Victory!

Durasturan's Avatar


Durasturan
10.21.2012 , 09:57 AM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyphen View Post
Agreed, the F2P model decided by EA will flop and mark my words because it will flop and sink the game even faster. I understand restrictions but the current are just moronic.

I shouldn't even care, il stay subbed regardless (unless I get bored again).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWMBeLrZoyw
I agree. The main problem is that their logic behind F2P implementation is... strained... to say the least.

Basically their F2P model only works if the people that come in to TRY the game as Froobs enjoy the game enough to stay, however a great many of those people are part of the 2M players that already quit, and even if they aren't, what makes BW suspect that a drastically watered down version of the game that 2M people quit is going to be able to KEEP anyone.

They had essentially two ways to go. They could pump time and money and energy into this game substantially improving and adding real and interesting and cool things to it that would grab people's attention and make them want to come back. Then charge for those things to make money.

Or they could break the game up and sell it off like selling off a scrapped car piece by piece by piece.

Instead of adding VALUE to their game, the method they chose basically inconveniences players to the point of buying things, this is a faulty understanding of people that play free games and games in general. If they get fed up they'll just leave, not drop $20 to make a crappy game more fun.

arunav's Avatar


arunav
10.21.2012 , 04:25 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by Durasturan View Post
I agree. The main problem is that their logic behind F2P implementation is... strained... to say the least.

Basically their F2P model only works if the people that come in to TRY the game as Froobs enjoy the game enough to stay, however a great many of those people are part of the 2M players that already quit, and even if they aren't, what makes BW suspect that a drastically watered down version of the game that 2M people quit is going to be able to KEEP anyone.

They had essentially two ways to go. They could pump time and money and energy into this game substantially improving and adding real and interesting and cool things to it that would grab people's attention and make them want to come back. Then charge for those things to make money.

Or they could break the game up and sell it off like selling off a scrapped car piece by piece by piece.

Instead of adding VALUE to their game, the method they chose basically inconveniences players to the point of buying things, this is a faulty understanding of people that play free games and games in general. If they get fed up they'll just leave, not drop $20 to make a crappy game more fun.
I don't think BW had the choice you outlined on making the game better. They are leveraging the great 1-50 leveling content to make as much money back as possible, and then perhaps the game will expand if it is a successful outcome. If not, EA will just have some more of its investment and planned revenue back.

That said, I think many current subscribers will be purchasing things. The shop isn't necessarily aimed at getting F2P players to subscribe. It's an option to try the game out and see the stories, albeit in a frustrating way that may result in some additional subscriptions.

Polonious's Avatar


Polonious
10.21.2012 , 05:07 PM | #94
If Bioware is looking for a good way to get people to pay extra money they should look into events. Imagine a Dev run event where they control an army of zombies attacking a city. They make it a zone that only the people who paid can get into (and obviously it would have to have more storyline than my example) but have the bad guys be people controlled with special loot and abilities. These events can be a few hours long to multi-day depending on the story (and of course the price)
Good things take time

Evgen's Avatar


Evgen
10.21.2012 , 06:16 PM | #95
I don't think they want to let people get much out of any aspect of the game for 100% free.
For PVP restricting the number of matches you play is probably the only way.
I think SWTOR's F2P is more of a deluxe trial than a way to play the game for free.
Academy Exemplar - Begeren Colony (formerly Gav Daragon)
Rhyn Lor - 50 Scoundrel Reizz - 50 Guardian (Vyn) A'sara - 50 Sorcerer
The Lor Legacy

Draekos's Avatar


Draekos
10.21.2012 , 07:50 PM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by Evgen View Post
I don't think they want to let people get much out of any aspect of the game for 100% free.
For PVP restricting the number of matches you play is probably the only way.
I think SWTOR's F2P is more of a deluxe trial than a way to play the game for free.
As it should be. They cant deliver content if they cant pay employees to make it.
Currently playing Nhatt Sixpack on the Bastion.

Timarick's Avatar


Timarick
10.21.2012 , 08:02 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by BHunterBuffy View Post
F2P are given choice of 3 races...I'm at the moment a subscriber, and I have a Sith Race Inquisitor. So if I drop my subscription (I couldn't give a bantha fart about warzones) I lose the ability to play my legacy sith race??
They've said many times you keep your character perks, and everything about that character, but if you make new characters when you go free, they're restricted. Also your warzone, raid limits are similarly limited, and I can assume so is your money and inventory, which goes into an escrow. DC Universe Online did something simmilar for returning players, only they were "Preferred" access because they spent money on the game so get more benefits than say the freeloaders. It seems that BioWare WANTS to go in the same direction, but they lack the communication skills to just come out and say so, which is irritable to consumers.

I also don't see why there's a need for species restriction... It's just a skin and a few tweaks of dialogue... Nor do I see the need to get a pass to wear purple items. As much as we subs should get benefits, the freeloaders and returners should still have an experience where they don't just go and say "the **** is this crap?"

Timarick's Avatar


Timarick
10.21.2012 , 08:06 PM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by Draekos View Post
As it should be. They cant deliver content if they cant pay employees to make it.
Guild Wars 2 and its predecessor was entirely free outside of the main game and purchase of expansion and had a pay to look awesome model, which worked for many years. DC Universe Onlie has pulled a simmilar model now and are still raking in money even though the monthly's aren't as high as the Premiums or the Freeloaders. (Premiums meant you spent money on the game and get more benefits than the freeloaders (a lot more), but not as much as subscribers do persay, which is just in game money, character slots, and inventory, plus vault access and que times)

SciFiDude's Avatar


SciFiDude
10.21.2012 , 08:55 PM | #99
I'm not going to bother asking any questions because we're clearly not getting answers. However, it would be nice if the video had cleared up a few issues. (or if a BioWare employee would actually get on here and answer some stuff)

It says "free" players get a choice of 3 races. However, those of us who have bought the game aren't really free players, so we shouldn't be restricted by this if we stop paying. I bought this game back in February for $49.99 ($10 off of the original price) and I've paid for several months of subscriptions. I'll by no means be a "free" player if I stop subscribing because I've certainly paid my dues in this game (got my "Founder" title and everything.) I currently have Chiss and Rattataki characters, I shouldn't have to give up anything during the transition because those races came with the game that I bought. The same goes for other things that "free" players won't get (because they haven't paid for anything.) Obviously, people who stop paying shouldn't get everything subscribers get, but they also shouldn't be treated like they've paid for nothing. There needs to be a middle ground.

IF somebody from BioWare would actually come on here and acknowledge such concerns, it would be nice. If I'm going to lose all my stuff, I can probably keep my 3-month recurring subscription, but I also think it's unfair to treat people who stop paying as if they're just like people who have never paid anything for the game. Some games do this, others have a "middle ground" for people who have paid real money for the game. (DC Universe Online has a setup like this)

So, instead of just telling us what free and paid players get, also tell us what paid players who (may) decide to go free will get! Geez, I hate the suspense. I've been there for a few F2P transitions now and it's always a headache trying to figure out these things.

Bumboy's Avatar


Bumboy
10.21.2012 , 11:33 PM | #100
Since its already free to play it just caps you at level 15 I don't see this model working at all, at least in terms of drawing and keeping more subs. I don't believe that is what they are trying to do at all. My opinion is they are cleverly trying to keep the subs they have all the while trying to make more money off them. So instead of paying the $15 to have all the content you are now paying the $15 a month and get just enough cartel coins to buy a few items this is to "see" all the cool items that you will have to pay even more for to obtain. If I pay the sub of $15 I expect to have all the content in the game. This is a very cleaver scheme. Once people catch on to this im sure subs will drop quickly unless of course you wanna pay 50 a month to play the game in which case go right ahead but not me.