Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An in-depth look at: Lightsaber Forms- Ataru

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
An in-depth look at: Lightsaber Forms- Ataru

Aurbere
10.18.2012 , 07:57 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by ToEasy View Post
That is true.
Each form has its advantages. A master of all seven can be a devastating force in a duel. He would have the knowledge of each form and know how to best them. I will elaborate more on this in a future thread in this series.
Added Chapter 63 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Ardim
10.18.2012 , 09:02 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Alot of Forms would be good combinations, but there might be some drawbacks to combining Forms. Like Soresu and Makashi, you might have to give up some Soresu's defenses in order to implement Makashi's finesse and Maneuverability. Or Djem So and Ataru, you would have to give up some speed in order to implement Djem So's strength.

I think the best Form, balance-wise, is Niman. It has an excellent balance of aggression, speed, and defense.
Isn't Niman a difficult form to master though?
The Alabaster Legacy
Server: Jedi Covenant
Isaac: Sith Marauder Aerios: Powertech Avran: Sniper

Aurbere
10.18.2012 , 09:21 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Ardim View Post
Isn't Niman a difficult form to master though?
It is, but the benfits are great. Good things come with time, is the old saying I believe.
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Maaruin
10.19.2012 , 06:12 AM | #14
Aurbere, what do you think about the theory that Ataru originally wasn't meant as a primary style, but as an addition/completion for Soresu? A Jedi would fight with Soresu most of the fight, but switch to Ataru when he gets the chance to attack. (Later some Jedi liked Ataru so well that they made it their primary style and it became popular.)

(I got this theory from youtube, Jensaarai explained it in one of his videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAoZyMoKEw4&t=1m25s )

Edit: And a second question: I'm wondering why Ataru doesn't seem to include many stabs/thrusts. I think they would fit an acrobatic form focused on offense quite well. Do you know the reason? (Or did I just not see them?)
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

Aurbere
10.19.2012 , 09:51 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
Aurbere, what do you think about the theory that Ataru originally wasn't meant as a primary style, but as an addition/completion for Soresu? A Jedi would fight with Soresu most of the fight, but switch to Ataru when he gets the chance to attack. (Later some Jedi liked Ataru so well that they made it their primary style and it became popular.)

(I got this theory from youtube, Jensaarai explained it in one of his videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAoZyMoKEw4&t=1m25s )

Edit: And a second question: I'm wondering why Ataru doesn't seem to include many stabs/thrusts. I think they would fit an acrobatic form focused on offense quite well. Do you know the reason? (Or did I just not see them?)
For your first question, I'm not sure. It seems plausible. We know that Obi-Wan used Ataru during his study under Qui-Gon Jinn, but switched to Soresu after Qui-Gon got killed by Maul. So it seems likely that Obi-Wan would use Ataru's offense to compliment Soresu's defense.

For the second question, Ataru focuses on broad strokes, mostly horizontal, hence the weakness to Blaster fire. These strokes usually force the opponent to angle their blades awkwardly to defend themselves. In addition to this, stabbing is not something the Jedi do in combat. I will cover that in a future thread in this series.

TalonVII
10.19.2012 , 03:49 PM | #16
Something to remember in the styles guys.

Many of the moves cross throughout the styles. And many styles can flow through eachother. Many just chose to master one style so they have a focus.

But again it could be easy to flow from say Soresu to makashi, to Ataru then back to soresu depending on attacks and defense and parrying work.

Just saying.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquisitor, Smuggler