Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware can you explain to me why...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Bioware can you explain to me why...
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Jherad
10.18.2012 , 04:06 PM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
I asked Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) about Rage and Focus builds and how they're fitting into PvP overall right now, and here was his comment:

Rage and Focus have always been high burst specs, but they haven't been very popular due to some usability and quality of life issues in the past. Our goal for Focus and Rage was to address those issues without significantly affecting their burst. In large part, I think we've done that, but the result is that many people are playing them now, which means there's a lot of AOE burst happening in warzones that wasn't happening before. We're willing to wait and see if their popularity is a result of being viewed as "flavor of the month" (i.e. Rage/Focus populations will naturally subside as people realize the spec doesn't suit their playstyle) or if they are truly too good and were just too unusable before. In short, we're going to keep a close eye on it.
Sigh. Were you honestly just looking at server-wide statistics rather than at what particular groups were using (eg. high end PvPers)?

Focus was already head and shoulders more popular than Watchman for Sentinels in premades, and was the defacto STANDARD for DPS Guardians (considerably more popular than vigilance). I honestly wonder what kind of PvP you've been doing.
Zachar´ah - Commando / Chasso, Aargh - Merc
The Twinkletoes Legacy
Zachariah's Merc/Mando PvP Guides
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

Eszi
10.18.2012 , 04:10 PM | #62
I asked Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) about Rage and Focus builds and how they're fitting into PvP overall right now, and here was his comment:

Rage and Focus have always been high burst specs, but they haven't been very popular due to some usability and quality of life issues in the past. Our goal for Focus and Rage was to address those issues without significantly affecting their burst. In large part, I think we've done that, but the result is that many people are playing them now, which means there's a lot of AOE burst happening in warzones that wasn't happening before. We're willing to wait and see if their popularity is a result of being viewed as "flavor of the month" (i.e. Rage/Focus populations will naturally subside as people realize the spec doesn't suit their playstyle) or if they are truly too good and were just too unusable before. In short, we're going to keep a close eye on it.
In short, there is no point in playing any other dps spec as sent or guardian.

Phasersablaze
10.18.2012 , 04:25 PM | #63
Quote: Originally Posted by CharterMonkKent View Post
read my post below
I read your post. My mercenary is Valor 95 and has been BIS for a long time. He would be valor 100 if I didn't stop playing him so much (just do daily now).

When I play my mercenary I feel like my hands are tied behind my back. I have no mobility/survivability, and my burst dps is not satisfying even with my BIS gear.

My deception assasin is wearing half recruit and half BM gear. I have greater burst dps/ mobility/ and just more utility in general. He is fun to play. Same thing with my Sentinel. Easy to kill people fast. Not stressful or hard to play at all. I can't even imagine how many heads would b rolling if I actually had BIS on either of these toons.

The problem is not just a gear gap. The classes are very unbalanced.

denpic
10.18.2012 , 04:40 PM | #64

Really Allison does Austin or you even Play this game rage focus has been fotm since launch
And the reason you see so many focus/rage jugs is because you nerfed vigilance
It was a small nerf but when you look at the changes to focus and it original performance
You would have to be a fool to be any other spec

I have had a guardian since launch and its been a known fact that rage/focus was a strong popular pvp spec
Almost Every dps jug or guard in pvp was/is focus its was rare to see any other spec
I was vigilance until you nerfed it so I switched to focus just like every other vigilance guardian would of done

If anything you need to buff vigilance slightly so it's a option
No one will use this spec

Make tanking stats more viable in pvp
So tanking becomes a viable option

Also reduce the crit bonus to sweep/smash from leap, zealous leap because
As focus you don't even need to account for crit in gearing because of this talent

And finally to the devs running this show L2p your own game
EOL Marster Dar Nala
ULAC Dalbora

Antipodes
10.18.2012 , 05:00 PM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by Jherad View Post
Sigh. Were you honestly just looking at server-wide statistics rather than at what particular groups were using (eg. high end PvPers)?

Focus was already head and shoulders more popular than Watchman for Sentinels in premades, and was the defacto STANDARD for DPS Guardians (considerably more popular than vigilance). I honestly wonder what kind of PvP you've been doing.
High end PvPers = premades?

Let's define that statement more clearly. What about teams averaging 2400 rating or higher? Well, most of these teams ran one Sent/Mara and they were Combat/Carnage for the speed boost. Adding a second Sent/Mara was less common than adding a duplicate Vang/PT.

Now, I also think that BW was very misguided in buffing the spec, and the spec was already powerful pre-1.4. But I don't doubt it when they say the spec was played less than the other two.

ChickenWangs
10.18.2012 , 07:06 PM | #66
Paying attention to jugs can tell you when they are going to use smash. If you avoid it, their dps is dead and soon after they will be too.

Antipodes
10.18.2012 , 07:12 PM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by ChickenWangs View Post
Paying attention to jugs can tell you when they are going to use smash. If you avoid it, their dps is dead and soon after they will be too.
You can't really avoid it, unless the Jugg is bad and has an ability queue of 1 second or spams his Smash button even after getting knocked back.

ChickenWangs
10.18.2012 , 07:14 PM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post
You can't really avoid it, unless the Jugg is bad and has an ability queue of 1 second or spams his Smash button even after getting knocked back.
Whenever jugs come after me I naturally just kite (and for some odd reason they never slow me). Guess that is the cool thing about being a vanguard.

SgtBranham
10.18.2012 , 07:52 PM | #69
Just don't stack up on top of each other and smash loses most of its effectiveness. It hits an equally geared player in the 5k range. Same as a carnage maras gore/scream or a pts railshot. Rages other attacks are a lot weaker than the other dps classes. You get a big hit then 10 sec of little hits. It's fine the way it is. Just don't stack 3+ ppl on top of each other and you will be fine. Don't use your teams stupidity as an excuse to claim they are op.

Savej
10.18.2012 , 08:01 PM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by denpic View Post
Really Allison does Austin or you even Play this game rage focus has been fotm since launch
And the reason you see so many focus/rage jugs is because you nerfed vigilance
It was a small nerf but when you look at the changes to focus and it original performance
You would have to be a fool to be any other spec

I have had a guardian since launch and its been a known fact that rage/focus was a strong popular pvp spec
Almost Every dps jug or guard in pvp was/is focus its was rare to see any other spec
I was vigilance until you nerfed it so I switched to focus just like every other vigilance guardian would of done

If anything you need to buff vigilance slightly so it's a option
No one will use this spec

Make tanking stats more viable in pvp
So tanking becomes a viable option

Also reduce the crit bonus to sweep/smash from leap, zealous leap because
As focus you don't even need to account for crit in gearing because of this talent

And finally to the devs running this show L2p your own game
Rage/Focus was not FOTM since launch - it took most people a month or two to figure out it was the best guardian dps spec. And then most people figured out that Watchmen was better than everything a month or two after that. Vigilance was solid as of 1.2 and watchman got nerfed a bit. Then in 1.3 it was combat for sentinels and guardians in pvp were mostly tank hybrid ball carriers, guards and aoe slowers (focus was too much of an easily nullified glass cannon). Pure focus guardians became rare and a bit of a joke. Now in 1.4 people can play guardian dps again and be viable (in pve too) which is what most people wanted in the first place: dps guardians, the iconic class of this game, are getting taken off their shelves, dusted off and are being used again. And they're doing a lot of damage. But there are still plenty of other classes/specs that will wipe the floor with pure rage/focus specs in 1v1 fights. I don't see the focus/rage trend lasting; I am seeing a lot more operatives and deception sins running around on POT5.

I do agree that the upper vigilance tree probably needs some love.