Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Free-to-Play Preview #1

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

thespin
10.18.2012 , 05:41 PM | #21
I personally have no desire to play without a sub, but I feel compelled to suggest one major guideline that any F2P mmo needs to follow.

F2P should not be used as a model to force players to subscribe in order to enjoy a full experience. It needs to be a model that allows paid access to all features without a sub, as long as you are willing to purchase access to those features. It needs to be viable to play without a sub on the same level as with a subscription, even if playing without a sub would end up costing much more than subscribing.

As an example, weekly limits for warzones are fine as long as you can purchase access to more warzones each week without subscribing. If players feel forced to subscribe to feel like the are able to compete with subscribers they will not stick around, and there are quite a few players I've met on other games who are happy to pay to play a game they enjoy, but they do not believe in subscribing to any game.

xorcist
10.18.2012 , 06:22 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Today we are excited to release our first episode of the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Free-to-Play Insider Preview. This new video series is your window into the latest news and information on the new Free-to-Play option coming to The Old Republic™ this Fall. The first video provides insight into the features offered to Free-to-Play players and Subscribers. Take a first look at the new Cartel Market as well as get answers to some of the most commonly asked questions about the Free-to-Play option. Check out the video and let us know what you think – we’ll be watching for your feedback in the forums, online and on Facebook.

Watch now
Could someone from the community team please address the issues in this thread? http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=544557 In particular the issue that I private messaged you about.
Thanks.
"There is no calamity greater than lavish desires....
And there is no greater disaster than greed
."

chuixupu
10.18.2012 , 06:29 PM | #23
Anyone have a link to a list of things they talk about in this video, and any particular items highlighted, for people like me that really don't want to watch this video?
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Kaze-Yama
10.18.2012 , 06:37 PM | #24
F2P needs to be worth the value that is the only thing I'm worried about. While the sub is 15 dollars a month I imagine few people use all the content. If things are fairly priced to where I can select my preferred play style than I won't mind so much.

I primarily pvp but if it costs 5 bucks a week or something just to unlock pvp then what is the point of supposedly giving players a choice about there playstyle. All of these previews and teasers are all just pointless fluff until Bioware gives specific details about payment options and how much all of this stuff will actually cost.

F2P models are not free, the basic service is so crippling to gameplay that people will spend something just to have greater convenience or experiment. I'm most worried that the A la carte options as they are will be priced poorly and the subscription model isn't worth the price either so people may just drop the game all together.

Gordoma
10.18.2012 , 07:11 PM | #25
As a subscriber, I'm concerned that there will be more items in the Cartel Market that I will want to purchase than Bioware will give me coins to buy items. Will subscription players be able to use in-game currency to buy Cartel coins? As a in-game item collector, having to make additional real life purchases was the big reason I left my last MMO. Will this be the case in free-to-play?
May the Force be with you

Darth-Malice
10.18.2012 , 07:28 PM | #26
So I can be a human, a human with horns or a human with metal on my face. Well thats not very restricting.
||||||||███████████████████████████████)

Setsugetsuka
10.18.2012 , 07:35 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth-Malice View Post
So I can be a human, a human with horns or a human with metal on my face. Well thats not very restricting.
If you don't like it, I guess you could always just subscribe...

Darth-Malice
10.18.2012 , 07:40 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Setsugetsuka View Post
If you don't like it, I guess you could always just subscribe...
And then be a bald pale human or a human with tentacles on the head or red faced human or green faced. hrmmn choices.
||||||||███████████████████████████████)

JonathanCP
10.18.2012 , 07:51 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by thespin View Post
I As an example, weekly limits for warzones are fine as long as you can purchase access to more warzones each week without subscribing. .
This is exactly the way it will be
If your thread title is not a variation on "open letter... BIOWARE,... fail... NOW!", then you are a fanboy

JonathanCP
10.18.2012 , 07:53 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Gordoma View Post
As a subscriber, I'm concerned that there will be more items in the Cartel Market that I will want to purchase than Bioware will give me coins to buy items. Will subscription players be able to use in-game currency to buy Cartel coins? As a in-game item collector, having to make additional real life purchases was the big reason I left my last MMO. Will this be the case in free-to-play?
There will inveitably more items than you can purchase immediatly with your subscriber's coins. The purpose is clearly to entice some subscribers to pay a little more each month. OR, you can always wait a few cycles, and THEN purchase your items with your monthly reward of coins. Or you can ask your family for Cartel Coins for Christmas.

But if you expect being able to buy EVERY item as they appear with your monthly reward, you are in for a huge disappointment.

A perfect example of that would be the cash-pets and mounts in WoW. You had absolutely NO WAY of getting them ingame, even if you were a subscriber since day one, you STILL had to pay 5-10$ for those incredibly cute pets/mounts.

Is it bad when you are short on $ and want everything? Yes.
Is it good for Bioware/EA to get more income/hire more developpers/make more profit? Yes
If your thread title is not a variation on "open letter... BIOWARE,... fail... NOW!", then you are a fanboy