Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

An in-depth look at: Lightsaber Forms- Soresu

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
An in-depth look at: Lightsaber Forms- Soresu

Crawelc
10.18.2012 , 06:43 AM | #11
Is the fight Kinobi vs maul and savage from this TCW season an example of soresu with 2 sabers or is he using a different form in that fight? The reason I ask is because he does use the x'ed lightsaber defence at one point in the duel, but he also does alot of acrobatic dodges ala Ataru.
Imprimis <Fight><Redemption><Conquest>
All Imprimis All the time.

ToEasy
10.18.2012 , 06:48 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Crawelc View Post
Is the fight Kinobi vs maul and savage from this TCW season an example of soresu with 2 sabers or is he using a different form in that fight? The reason I ask is because he does use the x'ed lightsaber defence at one point in the duel, but he also does alot of acrobatic dodges ala Ataru.
Ataru has some dual blade combat in the form so Obi-wan might have been using a little bit of ataru in that fight.
"Jedi do not fight for peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading as slogans always are. Jedi fight for civilization, because only civilization creates peace. We fight for justice because justice is the fundamental bedrock of civilization: an unjust civilization is built upon sand. It does not long survive a storm." - Mace Windu

epicfear
10.18.2012 , 07:32 AM | #13
Soresu, my favorite form.

If somebody is good enough at it, they only lose when they want to. (most of the time. there's always that pesky "Former master's former master is far better than you ever could hope to be" Clause in episode 3)
Copy this signature if you believe Timothy Zahn should take over the Star Wars EU

TalonVII
10.18.2012 , 08:22 AM | #14
Actually the OP forgot somebody who used a dual bladed saber but was a master of Soresu as well.

Darth Zahanna, Bane's apprentice. He taught her to wear down the opponent, find a weakness then quickly take down her opponent.

But Form III, if you have your defenses set, not much can beat you. Best described in the novelization of ROTS.

Spoiler

Soresu is a very powerful style. I'd almost consider it a conservative fencing style. You just do parrying work until you find that weakness then you drive home your attack, quickly and efficiently with little energy wasted. I mean look at what Obi-wan did to Grevious, he just parried him and then rode the parry to take off two of his arms.

Edit: Oh forgot something. In KOTORII, if you had a Sith Lord or Jedi Master. If you had Soresu engaged and had set up your lightsaber properly for blaster defense, you were a walking shield against blaster fire. Infact I usually had 2. 1 for against blasters and 1 for damage to duel with. Like for example on Nar Shadaa when you are the master going after Mira, all you do is engage soresu, put on your defense saber set up against blaster fire and my god. never had to attack anybody shooting at me, i simply re directed the blaster fire back at them and killed them all and took little or no damage at all.

Now going against melee weapon people, well have had to switch to a force form or Shi-cho, but usually a force form and just used the force to blast them all.

Point is, against blaster fire, my god in KOTORII a properly set up lightsaber was EASY mode.
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight

Aurbere
10.18.2012 , 09:33 AM | #15
If you notice the acrobatic style in which Kenobi dueled the two brothers, you can see that he is indeed using Ataru. Obi-Wan studied Ataru while Qui-Gon was his master, but switched to Soresu after Qui-Gon died to make sure that he would not fall prey to the Sith.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"You felt it; the power of hate. The power of the Dark Side. Your eyes are opened. You see now. The power burns more brightly, stronger on the Dark Side. Despite what the Council had taught you, you now know the truth."- Count Dooku

Aurbere
10.18.2012 , 09:35 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
Actually the OP forgot somebody who used a dual bladed saber but was a master of Soresu as well.

Darth Zahanna, Bane's apprentice. He taught her to wear down the opponent, find a weakness then quickly take down her opponent.

But Form III, if you have your defenses set, not much can beat you. Best described in the novelization of ROTS.

Spoiler

Soresu is a very powerful style. I'd almost consider it a conservative fencing style. You just do parrying work until you find that weakness then you drive home your attack, quickly and efficiently with little energy wasted. I mean look at what Obi-wan did to Grevious, he just parried him and then rode the parry to take off two of his arms.

Edit: Oh forgot something. In KOTORII, if you had a Sith Lord or Jedi Master. If you had Soresu engaged and had set up your lightsaber properly for blaster defense, you were a walking shield against blaster fire. Infact I usually had 2. 1 for against blasters and 1 for damage to duel with. Like for example on Nar Shadaa when you are the master going after Mira, all you do is engage soresu, put on your defense saber set up against blaster fire and my god. never had to attack anybody shooting at me, i simply re directed the blaster fire back at them and killed them all and took little or no damage at all.

Now going against melee weapon people, well have had to switch to a force form or Shi-cho, but usually a force form and just used the force to blast them all.

Point is, against blaster fire, my god in KOTORII a properly set up lightsaber was EASY mode.
Well, the recordings of Cin Drallig are during the time of the Prequels so I remained focused on the people of the Prequels, but Zannah was a practitioner of Soresu. The double-blade actually allows the user to form a tight defense that dual-wielders wouldn't have.
"You felt it; the power of hate. The power of the Dark Side. Your eyes are opened. You see now. The power burns more brightly, stronger on the Dark Side. Despite what the Council had taught you, you now know the truth."- Count Dooku

Crawelc
10.18.2012 , 11:39 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
If you notice the acrobatic style in which Kenobi dueled the two brothers, you can see that he is indeed using Ataru. Obi-Wan studied Ataru while Qui-Gon was his master, but switched to Soresu after Qui-Gon died to make sure that he would not fall prey to the Sith.
Great threads, cant wait for tonights addition. My fake facebook profile for swtor lists my high school as "The Ataru School for Unruly Boys"
Imprimis <Fight><Redemption><Conquest>
All Imprimis All the time.

Aurbere
10.18.2012 , 11:49 AM | #18
Great threads, cant wait for tonights addition. My fake facebook profile for swtor lists my high school as "The Ataru School for Unruly Boys"
Is that right? lol Very cool.

Kalrenan
02.07.2013 , 02:03 PM | #19
I think that though Soresu indeed could be prone to be outpowered by a more agressive form like Shien or Juyo, that approach only takes in account the battle by itself. From what I remember, most Soresu practitioners tried to reason with their opponents and end the fight.

From there I think it comes the conception that a Soresu master is near invincible. It's really hard to defeat someone if in the end you join him.

Spoiler
Kalrenan Starstrider, Jedi Knight.

"There is no death, there is the Force."
- The Jedi Code

Smashbrother
02.08.2013 , 08:19 PM | #20
The problem with soresu is that it has 0 offense, so if your opponent doesn't try to kill you, you'll never win. If you're opponent is patient too, they can actually tire you out before they get tired.