Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Reverse Engineering Other People's Crafted Black Hole Mods for schematics

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Reverse Engineering Other People's Crafted Black Hole Mods for schematics
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

SomeJagoff
09.17.2012 , 10:41 AM | #1
So I'm not sure if this is a glitch or if this is some kind of "trick" for REing. I'm full BH now, but I've been buying specific BH/26 mods off the GTN to optimize my gear. As is already known, when you try to RE other people's crafted mods, it says no research available, however, as I pulled out a mod that I know I bought off the gtn a few months ago to replace with a better one, I noticed that it said 20% chance to research a schem available. Out of curiosity, I threw the new mod that I just bought off the GTN into my armor, then pulled it out, same thing, research available. I didn't need the original mod that I pulled out, so I RE'd it for mats, didn't get a schem, but it did say research available. I also noticed that once you pull out somebody else's crafted mod from a piece of armor, the crafter's name is gone, in addition to the 20% research chance appearing. Since I only have done this once and won't be doing it again until I get better mods, I was wondering if anybody else has tried this with any success for a schematic? Just buying a mod off the gtn, throwing it into armor, pulling it out, then REing it for a schematic. I'm not sure if this is a glitch, as in there's NO research available, but the system is glitched and thinks that there is or if by putting the mod into the armor, it changes from a crafted mod to a generic mod and thus becomes researchable. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated!
Lightsabers, Force Choke, Force Lightning, Jedi Mind Tricks, what else could you want from an MMO? There may be other MMOs out there, but do they have Lightsabers?....Do They?

Once you're in the hole, what's a few more feet?

AllisonBerryman
10.18.2012 , 09:35 AM | #2 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
We've seen players ask about this before, and have some clarification for you from Jason Attard (Senior Game Balance Designer):

This behavior was unintended, but we do not consider it an exploit. We do intend to make reverse engineering more consistent in the future, and that may be by not allowing this or by allowing players to reverse engineer this type of mod by design. We do not consider this a violation of the rules.

veyl
10.18.2012 , 10:42 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
We've seen players ask about this before, and have some clarification for you from Jason Attard (Senior Game Balance Designer):

This behavior was unintended, but we do not consider it an exploit. We do intend to make reverse engineering more consistent in the future, and that may be by not allowing this or by allowing players to reverse engineer this type of mod by design. We do not consider this a violation of the rules.
A month late response. As much as I enjoy that our guild has nearly every mod/hilt/barrel/enhancement and armoring that is 27, it once again completely DEGRADES the gearing up process because now, three weeks into the brand new raid.. Most of our raiders are completely geared up and didn't even have to wait for Campaign drops to accomplish that.

Gearing up TOO FAST is a major reason people left this game in the first place. There was no "Carrot on the stick" to keep chasing becasue you already devoured it. If there's no reason to continue to raid for gear, what reason is there to go into it? Winning? The first kill is extremely satisfying from a Hard mode perspective, but if everyone is completely geared out... the next kill leaves a sense of "why are we doing this again?" There's no thrill, there's nothing to look forward to going in there and after you've finished you've come away with completely nothing but some Black Hole coms to spend on gear to give to your alts. (which continues the process of gearing up too fast)

Some would argue that you should be going in there just to blow **** up with your guildmates and from a certain perspective I can completely understand that. However, there are always those few folks in the raid who feel it's a burden to be in there if there's no point to it for them. They are then debbie downers for the entire run.

The "Other" game fixed this carrot issue (Though most of their encounters were not clearable in the first few weeks...and you most certainly couldn't be Best in Slot within that time frame) by adding achievements and innovative ways of doing specific boss fights. Alternative ways (that were much more difficult in most cases) that challenged the raid group and rewarded them with something special.

I hope the development team realizes that they need to add more incentive to raid and shift away from the instant gratification crowd that has ruined many games.

Suzina
10.18.2012 , 11:13 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post

Thanks for the clarification that it's not an exploit. It can be stressful when you find something out like legacy smuggling or REing other crafters mods and you find yourself going, "uhhh, is this a cool trick or a cheat?"
Member of Bane Fleet

RattyRattail
10.18.2012 , 11:50 AM | #5
This is oh so lame.
Makoan Legacy (Jedi Covenant)
Javán - 55 Sniper | Dhiya - 55 Shadow
Cáde - 55 Gunslinger | Nermall - 55 Assassin

KorrigTS
10.18.2012 , 11:58 AM | #6
This is bad for two reasons:
1) People can gear up way too quickly without stepping foot into TFB
2) For the craters, it's disheartening to put the work into HM TFB and risk wasting BiS mods only to have someone take the easy way out and essentially "steal" your recipe

Take a look at the crafting list in my signature to see how quickly people have learned multiple recipes.
< D I A B O L I C > - The Bastion
Guild Website || Dot Tracker || The Bastion Crafter List || Guild Kill Videos || Simulationcraft for Sorc/Sage DPS
Korrig Falinor Zugg

RattyRattail
10.18.2012 , 12:36 PM | #7
What Korrigg said.
Makoan Legacy (Jedi Covenant)
Javán - 55 Sniper | Dhiya - 55 Shadow
Cáde - 55 Gunslinger | Nermall - 55 Assassin

darktyphoon
10.18.2012 , 03:09 PM | #8
What is the F'ing point then to craft then if they can learn someone else's schematics. put in the hard work to do TfB HM or grind BH comms to learn 61/63 schematics. especially the 63 stuff now. just get some made and RE and take advantage of someone elses work
The Dragneel Legacy
No Name Guild Republic GentleMen
Z'arex WingZero Untouchables Laxus Swiftech Helix-Fossil
My Stream Dragonslayer / From Beyond / The Eternal Warrior

DarkFireShadow
10.18.2012 , 03:14 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by veyl View Post
A month late response. As much as I enjoy that our guild has nearly every mod/hilt/barrel/enhancement and armoring that is 27, it once again completely DEGRADES the gearing up process because now, three weeks into the brand new raid.. Most of our raiders are completely geared up and didn't even have to wait for Campaign drops to accomplish that.
Then don't cheat the system and grind it out like the rest of us.

veyl
10.18.2012 , 03:31 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkFireShadow View Post
Then don't cheat the system and grind it out like the rest of us.
Again. Why bother if it's easily accessible? My whole point is that everything is too easy to obtain. Raiders who are crunchers will gear themselves out to have the best that they can have.

Thinking people will just sit around and do it the "right way" is just not going to happen if the gear is there in front of their face.